Wheel Movement

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited October 2009 in The workshop
I've got an old Claud Butler Legend that I use as hack bike to get me to the station and back that I've been having a lot of touble with recently.

It seems that whenever I pull away the wheel shifts in the dropouts and jams against the chain stay. It doesn't seem to matter how tight I to up the skewer (anti theft skewers) it just slips.

The dropouts are angles 45 degrees down and towards thefront of the bike.

Any Ideas?
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• Asprilla wrote:
    It seems that whenever I pull away the wheel shifts in the dropouts and jams against the chain stay. It doesn't seem to matter how tight I to up the skewer (anti theft skewers) it just slips.

The dropouts are angles 45 degrees down and towards thefront of the bike.
    Sounds like the anti-theft skewer isn't providing enough clamping force. A normal QR lever exerts a surprisingly large clamping force when done up properly. I realise its more difficult to lock up but do you get the same problem with a conventional skewer?

Edit: Most skewers manufactured and sold these days are only tested in horizontal drop outs which still won't let the wheel move if the QR is not particularly tight.

Mike
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Sometimes the teeth on the axle and quick release nuts can become clogged with paint and glop and as a result don't provide much grip. Also, check to make sure your axle hasn't snapped in two.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I swapped the skewer out last night. Didin't get to ride, but with the front brake on and me pushing down on the chain pedal there wasn't any movement, so hopefully that's done the trick.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX