How to Enter the Gran Fondo Sportful

Hi, could anyone who has previously entered this event give me some advice on how to get an entry in. After translating the online registration page, it looks like I need to have a championchip number. I've registered on the SDAM site to order one, but the event isn't up on their list yet and I'm not sure whether a UK resident can order one.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks, Chris.

Comments

• canoas
    canoas Posts: 307
    I'm having exactly the same problem, the online entry doesn't appear on SDAM site, I registered about 6 months ago. Did you find out how to enter? Almost 2010 now, I want to book everything asap!

Any info would be great.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    You can only enter when the event comes up on their site (unless you go with an organised thing). When the event is announced you just enter your details and pay online. The event won't be announced until the necessary permissions are given.
    M.Rushton
  • I've got a Champion Chip which I bought a couple of years back. To be honest I don't do sportives in Italy any longer so if anyone wants it I'm more than happy to get rid of it.
    I paid 18 euros for it, but I'd be happy to let it go for 10 pounds including UK delivery

Only thing, I don't know if identity is transferrable... otherwise you'd be doomed to be in the records under my name

drop me an e-mail at ugo.santalucia@gmail.com if interested

and by the way... I seem to remember they don't send abroad or it very expensive... one or the other... I had it delivered to my parents in Italy

EDIT: now I remember... they did not take cards on the website, so I had to trasfer money on an account... because that's very expensive from a UK bank, I had it done by my parents with their italian bank account and had it delivered there. Maybe now they take cards?
    left the forum March 2023
  • canoas
    canoas Posts: 307
    I think I might just go on an organised tour, leave all the Italian legalities to the tour company.

Anyone know of a good cycling travel company for this event. I checked out lafuga.cc and they want £790 without the flights (expensive).
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    unfortunately LaFuga are expensive. Sports Tours may do something or hotels in the area, but it really isn't all that hard to do it yourself. It just requires some planning. Although you may find it works out the same. Having said that I did the Lombardy in 2008, had 5 nights in Como approx.£500 incl breakfast plus flights and food and it came to under £1000. You have to remember that dinner each night is 20 euros+ unless you get an inclusive deal and transfers may be expensive. i used the train ut recently in Majorca it was as expensive to use a taxi for the transfers as it was to hire a car for a week. Italy Bike Hotels may have something.
    M.Rushton
  • Having looked at the SDAM site, the chips are only available to Italian residents, so I just completed the Sportful online registration form (translated from Italian) and left the SDAM field clear. You can pay with a credit card, which I did and they have taken my money, so I would assume I have a place. I'll ask the residence where I'm staying in Italy to send an email in Italian next month to the organisers to check whether that is the case.
  • Having looked at the SDAM site, the chips are only available to Italian residents, so I just completed the Sportful online registration form (translated from Italian) and left the SDAM field clear. You can pay with a credit card, which I did and they have taken my money, so I would assume I have a place. I'll ask the residence where I'm staying in Italy to send an email in Italian next month to the organisers to check whether that is the case.

You should be OK. You won't be timed, that's all. A few years back you could buy/rent a championchip on the day, but I can't assure you this is still the case
  • Thanks, that was my first thought, but I'm there for the ride/experience and of course can time myself!
  • Thanks, that was my first thought, but I'm there for the ride/experience and of course can time myself!

Makes sense. Owning a champion chip makes sense only if you plan to run a lot of events and you want to get points to start in the first few rows.
    For a one off it's pointless, as you say you can time yourself with the same accuracy.