At 6 foot too tall to ride a 17" giant XTC?

JEASTWOO
JEASTWOO Posts: 24
edited November 2009 in MTB general
I bought a Giant XTC on eBay, I though 17" frame would be right but it's abou 50mm short on the seat post, and about 30mm short in the cockpit, plus the wheel base at 103cm feels a bit short. I'm 6 foot.

What do you guys think, I oculd get a 400mm seat post and a 110mm handle bar stem to sort the dimensions out, but it would still be a bit short in the wheel base, and 5mm short on the cranks too as there only 170mm's.

Advice?? Thanks James.

Comments

• Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    There's NO way you'll be happy with this bike.
    Sell it and try to find something in around 20"+.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If it feels wrong it is wrong.

You might be able to find a compromise with new parts, but it will effect the feel.
  • I ride a 17" XTC, I'm 5'7" and it feels a little short along the top tube to me. So it must be a nightmare for a 6 footer. As posted above your only real option is to flog it on and get a 20" framed bike, or there abouts.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    It depends what you are using the bike for, I ride 18" frame or smaller off road and am 6'2" but I like to move around a lot.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    I am 51 11", previous bike was a 17" Carrera Banshee, now I ride a 19.5" Hifi as the 17.5" felt too small. They all vary so much!
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • I ride a 19" XTC and I`m 6ft.Even the 19 is a tiny bit small so I`d say a 17 is going to feel really wrong.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Thanks I'm selling the Giant.
  • i'm 6' tall and ride an 18" inbred and 456, these are rather long frames. I think a 17" will be too small for you. You could make it fit, but it'll ride funny like that.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Sort by: Showing list view Show grid view

Giant XTC 3 Mountain Bike 09

£549.99 new
    J E James Cycles
    Giant XTC 3 Mountain Bike 09

Giant XTC 3 Mountain Bike 09 Bike Colour Black/White/Red Frame size 18in. Giant Mountain Bike - Front Suspension. Giant's AlxuX SL butted aluminium is the ....
    Add to Shopping List

Giant XtC 2 2009 15% DISCOUNT!!!!

£806.65 new
    Cyclestore.co.uk Online b...
    8 seller ratings
    Giant XtC 2 2009 15% DISCOUNT!!!!

The XtC aluminium range uses Giantand#39;s ALUXX Aluminiumand#44; ... Turn Key lock out with Poploc SHOCK N/A HANDLEBAR Giant A5 aluminium OS STEM Giant A5 ....
    Add to Shopping List

Giant XTC 4 | Hard Tail MTBs

£420.00 new
    Wiggle

4 stars

4 stars

4 stars

4 stars

4 stars
    23 seller ratings
    Giant XTC 4 | Hard Tail MTBs

AluxX SL aluminium, Fluid Formed frameRockShox Dart 2 100mm travel fork with Turn Key lock outShimano Deore 27 speed shifters and SLX Shadow rear ....
    Add to Shopping List

Giant XTC 4 2009 - 16, 18

£447.99 new
    www.ashcycles.com mailord...

3 stars

3 stars

3 stars

3 stars

3 stars
    10 seller ratings
    Giant XTC 4 2009 - 16, 18

Giant XTC 4 2009 This bike comes FULLY ASSEMBLED when sent out (Find Out More). This bike may also be collected from our shop fully assembled and ready to ....
    Add to Shopping List

GIANT XTC 1

£714.46 new
    PAULS CYCLES LTD
    GIANT XTC 1

... Freewheel: SRAM PG950 11-34 Stem: GIANT A3 aluminium ahead Handlebars: GIANT A5 ... Race Seatpost: GIANT A5 aluminium Pedals: Shimano SPD M505 Grips: Giant.
    Add to Shopping List

Giant XTC 4 Bike (2009) - MTB Mountain Bikes

£449.99 new
    Winstanleys Bikes

3 stars

3 stars

3 stars

3 stars

3 stars
    14 seller ratings
    Giant XTC 4 Bike (2009) - MTB Mountain Bikes

Giant XTC 4 Bike (2009) - MTB Mountain Bikes.
    Add to Shopping List

Giant XTC 2 Mountain Bike 2010 - Hardtail Race MTB

£995.00 new
    Tredz bikes online

3 stars

3 stars

3 stars

3 stars

3 stars
    18 seller ratings
    Giant XTC 2 Mountain Bike 2010 - Hardtail Race MTB

... as possible with you race face on then the classic Giant XTC is the one.Key Features:Giant AluxX SL aluminium, Fluid Formed frameRockShox Tora XC, ....
    Add to Shopping List

Giant Xtc Alliance 1 Disc 08

£752.64 new
    J E James Cycles
    Giant Xtc Alliance 1 Disc 08

Giant Xtc Alliance 1 Disc 08 Bike Colour Alu / White / Comp Frame size 16 inch. Giant Mountain Bike - Front Suspension. p>Giant Xtc 1 Alliance Disc Front ....
    Add to Shopping List

GIANT XTC 2

£665.00 new
    Triton Cycles
    GIANT XTC 2

... HG50 11-34 Stem: Giant A5 aluminium OS Handlebars: Giant A5 aluminium OS ... WTB Silverado Race Seatpost: Giant A5 aluminium Pedals: Steel with resin ....
    Add to Shopping List

Giant XTC 1, Competition Hartail, 2009

£999.00 new
    AW Cycles
    Giant XTC 1, Competition Hartail, 2009

For the love of smooth singletrack and technical trails, the XTC 1 represents the top end of Giant's performance hardtail collection, or at least the top of ....
    Add to Shopping List
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    JEASTWOO wrote:
    Thanks I'm selling the Giant.

How much did you buy it for ??
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Barteos wrote:
    There's NO way you'll be happy with this bike.

Why not?

I'm six foot and I have an 18" FS and a 17" hardtail. Both are fine.

Everyone's different. I prefer a smaller frame.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • I agree

I'm 6'2" and ride a 16.5" Rocky Mountain without any problems.
  • I'm 6ft and my Kona Kula has a 17 inch frame
    I can pedal that bike all day long, up hills, down hills, along canal paths with no issues at all.
  • I'm 5'11" and ride a 17" XTC - it's fine for me.
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • 6ft here with 17" XTC, 400mm seatpost and im very happy, like the smaller frame, feel wobbly on a larger frame
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    If it was bvought on ebay it was advertised incorrectly and you are entitled to a refund..... the XTC comes in 16", 18", 20" and 22" frame sizes.

At 6ft I would have said a 20" frame would be about right.
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    I'm 6ft and ride an 18 inch frame . 18 will feel snappier and give better handling. larger will be more stable but harder to turn . take a look at Xc racers and they will all have an ickle frame with mammoth seat post . as a rule of thumb your saddle should be between 0 - 10cm above your handle bars for any long distance riding . your cockpit room can be adjusted by by getting a seat pin with layback rather than getting longer steam .

just remember that by raising your seat you increase your virtual top tube length . This is your most important size not frame size .
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I'm 6'2" and ride a 16.5" Rocky Mountain without any problems.
    :lol:

And I thought I was the tallest guy riding the smallest frame, but you beat me. :lol:
    6ft tall and 16" frame, no problems here.
  • supersonic
    But it is only one part of the equation. I am 6ft and rode a 14 inch jump bike.

One 16" frame may have a longer TT than a 20" bike.
  • guilliano
    SS stop complicating the issue :wink:

Is the frame a small or a medium OP?
  • supersonic
    Lol, I think what is complicating it is people saying 'you need this or that', and 'it's too small if you are above 6ft'. My advice is to find one and try it, unless you really underatand all the numbers and options.
  • guilliano
    I don't get where the 17" thing came from. The XTC doesn't come in that size..... so if bought in an auction on Ebay after being advertised as 17" it was falsely advertised and the OP can claim a refund within a certain time frame
  • supersonic
    And that is another problem with measurements - the seller may have measured it at 17" to the top of the top tube, the middle of it, the top of the seat tube.

There have been some 17 inch XTCs some years - infact Giant lists the 'actual size' of all M XTCs for this year at 17" yet call it an 18"!
  • guilliano
    That's really confused matters then..... damn you SS for your know it allness
  • supersonic
    Strange how they can turn out lol. Some people may argue now that you might find a 595mm top tube frame is too large!
  • My XTC is a 19" or medium from 2006.I think Giant went to 16,18,20 sizing for the 07 model year when they changed the frame.

It may have been that Giant decided the small16,medium 18, large 20 designations actually better reflected the actual frame size.

My "19" is actaully a 17" if measured from centre of bb to top tube.

My 19 is on the small side compared to say,how Specialized would categorise as a 19.

Newer sizes are a much better guide IMO.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo