Manchester Wheelers - Boggart Hole Clough Cyclocross

lfcquin
lfcquin Posts: 470
edited November 2009 in Amateur race
My first 'cross race today. Hard & fast, but really good fun. Don't know how I did yet, got to wait for the results, but I felt like I did ok. Hoping for top 20, Not often you get to ride in such a varied ability field and yet everyone was comfortable just riding their own race. Really relaxed feel and pretty much everyone was friendly and encouraging.

I also have to say the organisation by Manchester Wheelers was exceptional. Well done guys!

I will defo be doing more! :D

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Once rode Boggart Hole Clough, best part of 20 yrs ago, I think it was a National Trophy event, and it was a sea of mud and long grass! Changing bikes once and twice a lap, thats what dads are for though, eh?

Hope it was a bit drier for you.

Good though :)
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Glad you enjoyed it Ifcquin! I wasn't able to attend sadly. Results are up: http://www.nwcca.org.uk/2009/10/boggart ... ober-2009/
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Yeah, fortunately it was quite dry, I don't have a spare bike to swap every couple of laps :?

Thanks for the results Andy. Seems I finished 32nd! Not bad for a first time out! :D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Well done, cross has to be the most friendly racing out there. It's a shame more people don't know about it when they start racing as it's an ideal introduction to the sport. It's a shame the BBC don't cover National Trophy races, would be fairly easy and I can remember watching cross on TV as a kid.
  • RichTL
    RichTL Posts: 133
    Hi I went to the Wavertree, cross event last Saturday. Just to watch to see what it was like. Both my son and I really enjoyed watching and would really like to have a go.
    How do we get started? Do we need to join a club? Also what is a good choice of bike to use (dont want to spend too much and already have a couple of road bikes)
    Cheers Rich
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    RichTL wrote:
    How do we get started?
    Just turn up with your cash and bob's your uncle. It's usuially a tenner for an adult plus £3 if you haven't got a racing licence.
    RichTL wrote:
    Do we need to join a club?
    Nope!
    RichTL wrote:
    Also what is a good choice of bike to use (dont want to spend too much and already have a couple of road bikes)
    Lots of mountain bikes used - cyclocross bikes are pretty cheap and are lighter than MTBs, I think but might be wrong that road bikes can't get a grip as easily as bikes with fat knobbly tyres.

I've only done 2 cyclocross races but it's such great fun. Let us know how you go on!

Andy
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Pross wrote:
    Well done, cross has to be the most friendly racing out there. It's a shame more people don't know about it when they start racing as it's an ideal introduction to the sport. It's a shame the BBC don't cover National Trophy races, would be fairly easy and I can remember watching cross on TV as a kid.

I was once on Grandstand at Cross Nationals at Sutton Park - late eighties I should think :)
  • TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    I also have to say the organisation by Manchester Wheelers was exceptional. Well done guys!

Pleasure. Glad you enjoyed it. Long old day helping to set up and then marshalling at the very far end of the course..!
  • AndyRubio wrote:
    RichTL wrote:
    How do we get started?
    Just turn up with your cash and bob's your uncle. It's usuially a tenner for an adult plus £3 if you haven't got a racing licence.

Also, you can do most domestic events (except National Champs, National Trophies plus one or two others) on a Bronze BC membership (provisional licence) which makes it a good sport for a racer on a budget.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal