Numb hands

canadiankate
canadiankate Posts: 27
edited November 2009 in Women
I was up in the lakes this weekend - sopping wet, steaming and loving it, except for the fact that I couldn't feel my hands.

I've terrible circulation at the best of times and would love some comfy and warm winter gloves.

Does anyone have any suggestions of good makes and where to get cheap(ish) prices.

on that note - does anyone know of any good arm/leg warmers that would fit a girl?

Hope people had similarly good times on bikes this weekend

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I've terrible circulation at the best of times and would love some comfy and warm winter gloves.
    Try clenching your fists on the easy bits to keep the circulation going and keep your wrists well insulated.
    Does anyone have any suggestions of good makes and where to get cheap(ish) prices.
    I've had some Assos Winter Gloves for a few years and although they're not cheap, I have to stop and let my hands cool down unless temperatures are close to freezing. They are incredible.
    on that note - does anyone know of any good arm/leg warmers that would fit a girl?
    Endura FS260 Pro in the small/medium size.

HTH
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I'll get back to you on the gloves. I'm expecting mine to arrive tomorrow-ish, the same time as the rain is due to arrive. Waterproof / windproof, etc £20. And come in smaller sizes, so if you're a medium women's hand size you'll be in luck (provided they are any good - should be from what I've read).
  • ooh - thanks for that!

blister pus - which gloves have you bought?

I'll keep having a look around and report back too!
  • I was up in the lakes this weekend - sopping wet, steaming and loving it, except for the fact that I couldn't feel my hands.

Can't resist.... smutty comment imminent.............................

Sorry :oops:

Why not try some handerpants?
    http://www.handerpants.com/
  • yeah - I didn't really read that through until after I posted it.

:D
  • blister pus
    edited October 2009
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chiba-Pro-Waterpr ... 5001r26885

^ I took a chance on these Chiba waterproof pro gloves (because I've lost my old ones) but I have absolutely no idea about the level or competence of the waterproofing though, which is why I didn't mention them by name. The above link is High On Bikes ebay shop (for the small) but you can get them on their regular site (along with others)...

http://www.highonbikes.com/clothing/glo ... loves.html

...If they're crap and leak after a downpour they'll be going back.

If you check their pdf sizing chart out you'll have to decrease the magnification to get the correct hand size (64.2 / 66 / 75%). And the Medium for males is the female Large - and the Small is a Medium , etc. Unfortunately no-one seems to do Xtra Small which would be a female Small: http://www.chibagloves.com/sitebuilderc ... _chart.pdf

I've sifted the reviews from the HoB ebay shop and no-one has complained about them leaking but who knows. ...well I will, in a couple of days looking at the forecast.
  • blister pus
    Just noticed those Small are £17.95 with free delivery. Robbing barstards charged me for delivery. :lol:
  • blister pus
    Ordered yesterday. Arrived first post this AM. Can't fault that from HoB.

Gloves are as advertised, you certainly won't freeze in them and there's plenty of layers to them but not overly padded and layered so you can't feel anything. Like you can change gears in the them easy enough.

Waterproofing, not tried yet. But the blurb that comes with them specifically states they are water and windproof (the inner layer) so we'll see on that score. I'll update that information when the rain arrives and I'm out in it.

Downside? They fit my hands as per the chart and they are possibly a little too long in the finger and thumb, but I like a tight fitting riding glove - I can live with them as they are and I think if I'd have gone a size smaller I might have had problems clenching my fist.

...whether the small is small enough for you is the million dollar question. But hey, you can always send them back if they really don't work for you.
  • I've got the sealskin waterproof ones for winter - they are BOILING! Seriously can't wear them if it's not super cold!

Bit tough to get them back on once you've taken them off though - the inside wrinkles up a bit.
  • comexp
    comexp Posts: 1
    I spend a lot of time in the polar regions on expeditions and keep a pair of 'happy' gloves on me to pop on when my hands are numb and I need to warm them up quick.
    They are a Merino/Possum mix - as gorgeous as it sounds.
    www.chocolatefishmerino.co.uk

They do socks too which I use to warm up my feet when my toes are numb.
  • Hi Kate

Just out of interest, do you have the same numbing problem on dry rides or is it just when it's old and wet? I was just considering the possibility of you set up being a little out and throwing too much weight onto your arms/hands?
  • It may be, I suffer a fair amount of arm pump from over gripping and think as my frame is only 14 1/2 inch it may be putting too much weight on my hands. Unfortunately I can't really afford to get a new bike and am trying to save up to get a new one.

I also do have pretty poor circulation and so I'm thinking of getting some gloves.
  • Other thing to pay attention to is how hard your brakes come on, if they come on fast so your brake levers are a long way from the bars this can cause problems as you applying power and a far extension, (leading to cramps, arm pump so on) so check your brake set up a little too can add in a factor
  • Hey,

I, like you, have poor circulation. Unfortunately unless your circulation gets any heat to your hands a good pair of gloves will only do so much. I've recently started taking rutin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutin) which is of benefit to circulation..and you know what... I've got warm hands. Normally I'd wear gloves just to walk to the car or walk the dog... now I only wear them on my motorbike and mtb.

'Holland and Barrat' have a BOGOF on all their products at the moment so how about trying something to get the heat to your hands rather than stopping what little heat reaches the hands from escaping.

Specifically I take one of these a day
    http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=72&searchterm=rutin&rdcnt=1. also full of antioxidants so they help to keep your body radical reduced if you don't manage to get your 5 a day..

If you don't like the idea of supplements, then a pair of windproof gloves such a 'seal skins' seem popular, but maybe another layer on your torso to help insulate that body heat as it makes it's way to your extremities.

hope that was of some value
    Simple
    4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul.
  • Hi

I never used to have any problems with cold hands or feet, until i recently lost some weight. My hands and feet started to feel the cold a lot more often. I bought a pair of Ladies Altura Night Vision Waterproof Gloves, a couple of weeks ago. They come as an inner fleecy glove and an outer waterproof/windproof glove. The outer glove is also fleece lined, so you can wear them on their own. They are absolutely brilliant, my hands stay toasty watm, without overheating/sweating problems. As i'm out twice a week, on trails around Aviemore and the Cairngorms, cold and damp is the norm!!!! but these new gloves have been an absolute godsend. I'm looking forward to not having cold hands in January, whilst doing the Strathpuffer!!!!

Katrina

PS The only downside i can think of, is that i ordered my normal "medium" size, but had to return them for a "large" as the sizing seems quite tight.