To sit or stand

Sarnian
Sarnian Posts: 1,451
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Me and a couple of mates today were having a bit of a chat on when to stand up on the bike and when to sit (not sure why this came about as we have all been riding for years and I don't think we are going to change now). The out come seemed to be from the way we ride Is standing for going down hills, siting for going up hills (unless a short burst Is needed) and for short sprints along the flat, anyone any different?
It's not a ornament, so ride It

Comments

• XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    sit for up hiulls and stand to go down again. can thro the bike around if i stand
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Whatever you want, no hard answer! Sitting is usually more efficient.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    That Is true
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    sometimes i'm too tired to stand, even on downhill bits!
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    I didn't spend all these money on a full suspicious bicycle to have and stand on my own two like some pauper at a bus stops. Boing.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    standing, at all times.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Sitting on long climbs, I tend to alternate between if I'm just plodding on the flat. Anything remotely tech and it's seat down and standing.

Sitting in downhill / rocky / fast stuff is a surefire way of crashing, FS or HT your legs should still be most of your 'suspension'.
  • Agree with Sonic sitting is far more efficient, though I tend to be out of the saddle quite a bit. Uphill I stand quite often, can't sit and spin for toffee on my bike, downhill I stand to help jump and manouever over obstacles.

There are times when I sit, both going up and downhill, only sit down on the downs if it's smooth and I need to keep speed for some rocky section.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    depends how knackered I am and whether I've bothered to set the saddle height (if I've dropped the seat for a down and there's a short uphill following I'll just try and blast it out of the seat, but ultimately I like to be sitting with high saddle for climbs and standing for everything else if I can.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I sit down climbing smooth drags but stand up regulary for a few pedal strokes just to stop getting tired and sore. Standing up and climbing uses different muscles to sitting and climbing it doesnt seem to use the back muscles quite so much.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Sarnian wrote:
    Me and a couple of mates today were having a bit of a chat on when to stand up on the bike and when to sit
    A lot depends on the bike. My slack-angled enduro sledge Rize discourages any kind of standing up - the bars are in my groin, the centre-of-gravity is all wrong and it feels like a Space Hopper. But my old school marathon-XC Proflex positively encourages standing up - the transition from seated to standing is as natural as walking up stairs and it just feels 'right'.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    i LOVE to climb standing up, however depends a lot on the terrain/grip as to the viability of it.

If it's an option i'll always climb when standing.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    standing, at all times.

^ spoken like a singlespeeder!

/runs
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • supersonic
    Though when having a pee, all men should stand. Unless having a dump as well.
  • Anonymous
    :lol:

Well, what about a singlespeeder, with lots of gears?
  • standing, at all times.
    +1

But thats only because i have dodgy knees. Sitting down and pedaling up hill kills them :(
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    That, of course, only partially applies to French men.
  • Anonymous
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    standing, at all times.
    +1

But thats only because i have dodgy knees. Sitting down and pedaling up hill kills them :(
    You should go and see a physio. This year, I'd been really struggling with putting power down when seated, and had to stand and use my weight to get any force through the cranks.
    Turns out that amongst other things, I've dislocated my kneecap at some point, and it's healed kinda wonky, so it isn't moving evenly.
    The physio tapes my kneecap in place, and gets me to do some excercises, and the strength is slowly returning in my right leg. Hopefully, in about a month, I will be back up to full strength.

You should get it checked out. If it's the same as mine, it's well worth it, and requires no operation (so far)
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    standing, at all times.
    +1

You should go and see a physio. This year, I'd been really struggling with putting power down when seated, and had to stand and use my weight to get any force through the cranks.
    Turns out that amongst other things, I've dislocated my kneecap at some point, and it's healed kinda wonky, so it isn't moving evenly.
    The physio tapes my kneecap in place, and gets me to do some excercises, and the strength is slowly returning in my right leg. Hopefully, in about a month, I will be back up to full strength.

You should get it checked out. If it's the same as mine, it's well worth it, and requires no operation (so far)
    No need... 3 operations down already :)
    I got munched in rugby by to fat feckers... my knee went the wrong way. Still scored the try mind :D

Been told I'll probably need a knee replacement by the time i'm 35 :(
  • .blitz
    supersonic wrote:
    We had to stand a few times in Nepal. The bog at one place was a hut on the edge of a cliff; I opened the door and half the ground inside the hut was missing. It was really important to not lean backwards when squatting :wink:
  • Anonymous
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I got munched in rugby by to fat feckers... my knee went the wrong way. Still scored the try mind :D

Ouch.
    Luckily, I was never badly injured in rugby, but I've had a few nasty crashes on the bike, from trying to do stupid things, on stupid terrain, on stupid, unsuitable bikes.
  • supersonic
    Hope nobody was stood at the bottom! Bottom of the cliff that is...
  • .blitz
    supersonic wrote:
    Hope nobody was stood at the bottom! Bottom of the cliff that is...
    We could see the bog the next day when we looked back. There was a 10m smear of sh*t and paper down the side of the hill...
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:

Ouch.
    Luckily, I was never badly injured in rugby, but I've had a few nasty crashes on the bike, from trying to do stupid things, on stupid terrain, on stupid, unsuitable bikes.
    Been in A and E numerous times from rugby injuries.. the knee being the worst :(
    My best one was having my head stitched up on the sideline (about 12 stitches) and then going back on the pitch :D
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    my knee went the wrong way. Still scored the try mind :D

So now I'm worried! :? I had this happen to my knee when I used to skate in 6th form 8 years ago (not as bad as you by the sounds of it but hasn't been right since) and I came off the bike at Inneleithen 2 weeks back and think I did the same thing. Have been having quite bad pains since then walking and such, none while biking though (thank god). Knelt down last weekend and my kneecap moved to around to the side, made me collapse in pain :? Here's hoping it heals by itself again :shock:

Back on topic though; If I get up to a fair speed (smooth or rough) I stand up, most things below that speed and ups (unless very technical) I sit down.
  • Anonymous
    My leg that is damaged has been a bit "wonky" for as long as I can remember.
    When I was a kid, I remember that standing upright for any length of time resulted in my right knee bending slightly the wrong way, as in, it used to bend forwards slightly. I was in agony once when I had to stand on the train all the way from Chester to London when I went to see the motor show with my father.
    I also remember when I used to try and stop suddenly when running it used to bend slightly the wrong way, leaving me with a sligthly sick feeling, and a knee that felt like a knuckle that needed cracking.
    So, when the docotr and physio asked me how long my leg had been giving me trouble, it was a case of "how long is a piece of string"?

Actually, when I was in college, I cased my knee really badly on a DH run (the reason I ALWAYS wear knee pads now), and after a week of agony decided to go see the doctor. My knee was still cut, swollen, and bleeding, but our useless family doctor said it was probably just growing pains, since I was nearing the age that my joints stop growing.
    Growing pains, at 22 years old, yeah, right :roll: