Tour of Flanders sportive

skut
skut Posts: 371
Hi

I'm planning to do the Flanders sportive next year. Does anyone know when the entry process opens? Also, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good bike friendly hotel or B&B to stay in, possibly in Ghent.

Thanks

Comments

• hi , regarding the hotel . we stayed in the Holiday Inn Expo a few years back , great hotel , freindly staff and good transport to the centre of gent via the tramlink. Several of the teams stay there too. That year we had T-moblie and the Lotto boys joining us for breakfast.

You can enter the event on the day or the day before if you wish. its not like the marmotte or the etape regarding start positions . Its more like a free for all . People just tend to turn up and start when ever they are ready to go.
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Hi Skut

from a search on last year's forums, looks like entry opened in early November. I'm waiting on it opening, too...
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • Langman
    Langman Posts: 178
    I want to do this one as well where's the best site to register?
  • Nack
    Nack Posts: 61
    Next year's Tour of Flanders will be on 3 April, entries should open in November as blim says. If the event is run as in previous years (as I suspect it will), then there is no 'race' to get registered as quickly as possible as for other events, you can sign up up to two weeks before the event if you want to get your entry sorted beforehand, or simply sign up on the day - which is what I have done for the last two years!

As far as I know, the only site you can use to register is sport.be, if you follow this link you'll see a list of their events for next year and individual websites for each event should appear in due course:
    http://www.sport.be/lottocyclingtour/2009/fr/nieuws/?Article_ID=394805

The best of the lot has to be the Tilff Bastogne Tilff - definitely doing it next year!
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    You can sign up on the day, and there's no limit on the number of participants. And it's only about a tenner.

Why can't they do it like this over here????
  • It's a turn up and go challenge ride, like a mass 'club run', rather than the kind of pretend-race sportive that you would find in France or Italy.

For accomodation I stayed here:

http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Ge ... 017.en.htm

Prices 9,90 € to 11,90 € per night, plus a few euros extra for breakfast. Excellent facilities including bike storage area. About 10 minutes ride from Geraadsbergen (good for pro-race day) and 20 minutes ride along the canal path to the middle-distance (140km) sportive start in Ninove.

Total bargain.
  • TOUR OF FLANDERS FACEBOOK PAGE SET UP FOR BRITISH RIDERS.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TOUR-OF-F ... 183?v=wall
  • Do many people ride the 260km route?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I think the 140k route is more popular. You don't miss out any of the bergs doing the 140k route.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    mattybeck wrote:
    Do many people ride the 260km route?

It is an absolute bastard and you have the problem that the start and finish are in different towns. I did it 3 yrs ago - never again. It rained from beginning to end and after a decent distance of boring flat riding we hit the bergs.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I'm in. 260km, ride and eurostar sorted.

Has anyone stayed in Brugge? I notice there's a bus early from Ninove to Brugge, but
    not one at the end. Is there any other way back except 2hrs of trains?
    exercise.png
  • TOUR OF FLANDERS 2010 RONDEZVOUS

ARE YOU GOING TO THE TOUR OF FLANDERS ?

DO YOU WANT TO GO TO THE TOUR OF FLANDERS?

THEN JOIN THE TOUR OF FLANDERS 2010 RONDEZVOUS AND NETWORK WITH FELLOW CYCLIST.

CLICK HERE FOR THE LINK TO THE PAGE :arrow: http://tourcycling.ning.com/

ALSO AVAILABLE ON FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/pages/TOUR-OF-FLANDERS-CYCLOSPORTIVE-2010-RONDEZVOUS/195289042183
  • I am doing the 140 route and it looks hard but I have been told it's not the course but the weather that can be the issue.
    Cold and wet weather can destroy the best of form .
  • cjcp
    I am doing the 140 route and it looks hard but I have been told it's not the course but the weather that can be the issue.
    Cold and wet weather can destroy the best of form .

The only intense bits are the climbs. I've been lucky enough to do it when it's been dry and mild. I can't imagine the cobbles would be fun in the wet!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    The route's on the site now, not sure how long it's been up: http://www.sport.be/cyclingtour/rondeva ... s/255.html
  • TheStone
    What're the tyres of choice for this one? Normal, but 25s, or the Vittoria Pave ones?

Snow/ice is making a mess of my training plans. Gym tomorrow again.
    Maybe get out late next week.
    exercise.png
  • cjcp
    TheStone wrote:
    What're the tyres of choice for this one? Normal, but 25s, or the Vittoria Pave ones?

Snow/ice is making a mess of my training plans. Gym tomorrow again.
    Maybe get out late next week.

I used 23mm GP4000Ss at 90psi last year and was absolutely fine. Lots use 25mms though.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Hello All:

I'm looking at doing the 140km with a couple of mates. Will be coming over in one car, prob via the tunnel, and we're looking at staying in Brussels. What are the odds on being able to get anywhere near the start of the 140km ride on the 3rd with the car. And similarly, what are the chances of getting near anywhere worth watching the actual race from, again, with the car on the 4th?

Obviously we'll have the bikes with us so could park up a little way away and ride in if traffic is likely to be a nightmare.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark
  • cjcp
    I've never stayed in Brussels for this, but, if you do, seems sensible to stay west of the city to reduce the length of the ride out to Ninove for the start. Don't know what the roads are like, but could be a useful warm-up to ride there. Also means you can enjoy a good few beers at the finish without needing to worry abt driving :D. Fyg, I've stayed in Geraardsbergen, abt 10 miles from Ninove, and just ridden along the canal path to the start.

EDIT: Can't help with the roads on the day of the race itself. Sorry.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Either use the official parking or get off the motorway and onto minor roads to the north of Ninove. I managed to park my motorhome about a mile from the start. Geraardsbergen or anywhere near the canal would be better than Brussels.
    On the race day roads will be busy. Getting parked close to the Mur will be impossible but I went to the Bosberg. Got there mid morning and parked in the field at the top (1euro). If you want to see the race several times then bikes and a good map needed. The route itself is more or less closed from about one hour before the ladies race passes.
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Pro route has been unveiled:

http://rvv.be/rvv/elite-men/roadbook/

For those of you (myself included) doing the 140km sportive, by comparing this to the 'parcours' link on the sportive site, it looks like after the outward trip from Ninove, that we'd join the pro route around Oudenaarde, near the 130km mark.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • TheStone
    Anyone else getting worried?

With the snow and the cold, the most I've managed so far is about 110km .... not even
    close to half distance. Oh dear.

Less than 7 weeks to go!
    exercise.png
  • You'll be fine! You'll be swept up in the wake of the thousands of other riders and forget the pain, cold etc. It's great. Just think: when you reach the end, there are chips and coffees and beers and it's great.
  • I agree with AndyRubio,

You don't need a hell of a lot of training for this (unless you do the full 256 Km). The pain on the flat cobbles will be the same, whether you are trained or not. The Bergs are not so bad, apart for Paterberg, Koppenberg and Kapelmuur, but even so, it's mostly down to technique rather than watts. Unless you have a steep cobbled hill in your neighborhood, there's very little specific training you can do for the RVV.

Enjoy it... it'll be great
    left the forum March 2023
  • cjcp
    +1. Done this twice on the back of commuting really. I ran out of steam just before the Kapel-Muur last year due to the lack of long rides, but it's only 15km from the top of the Muur to the finish.

@Andy - was there coffee at the finish? :wink: I just saw beer and hotdogs :D .
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • TheStone
    Doing the long route!
    I could just get a train to the end for the beer and chips and save myself 10-12hrs of pain?

Hope the weather will be ok. Feel we deserve it after the misery that's been this year so far.
    exercise.png
  • TheStone wrote:
    Doing the long route!
    I could just get a train to the end for the beer and chips and save myself 10-12hrs of pain?

Hope the weather will be ok. Feel we deserve it after the misery that's been this year so far.

See how you feel the day before... the second half is the good one, the first 120 Km are pointless. The last thing you want is to get to the Bergs and cobbles already spent.

I wouldn't rule out the 140 Km option. I think you need about 2000 miles of training in your legs to complete the long one. You've got 6-7 weeks, it's doable
    left the forum March 2023
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    the second half is the good one, the first 120 Km are pointless. The last thing you want is to get to the Bergs and cobbles already spent.
    +1. Avoid the early start. Nice steady ride out from Ninove to be nicely warmed up for the first climb. Much better. 8)
  • Shandy lightweights the lot of you. I refuse to do the 'fun' route :D

It's a bit like riding l'Alpe d'Huez, you only know what it's actually like if you have a few HC's and 100miles in your legs beforehand.
    The first 120k's of the Ronde are to soften you up and make sure your legs are in the right condition before you ride the cobbled climbs. Anyone can ride up the Koppenberg fresh.

The race course is 260k's and so should the sportive be, otherwise you haven't ridden it and in my opinion is a bit pointless.

Go long while you can.
  • TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    Long for me.

Already done a 140 mile ride this year (as Andy Rubio will attest to - he did the same), though recent distance training has fallen off in favour of shorter, harder stuff.

Given the numbers of people riding, the groups will remain large all day, so there's no real need to do much work in between the bergs, and the first section will be a nice warm-up. Did the 140 last year, and doing 260 this year.

Of all the sportives I've done (including a couple of Étape editions), Flanders is by far the best. No silly broom wagon, no timing chips, feed station through a warehouse, friendly riders, 19.500 participants (last year), cobbles, bergs, spectators cheering you on and up the climbs as a sea of heads bobs up and down in front, refusing to use a compact chainset, rain, filth and wind. All completed with beer and frites at the end.