Why don't job descriptions say if you need experience or not

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited November 2010 in The bottom bracket
I'm thinking of applying for this job:

http://rmg.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_royalmail ... wpdirdutfk

I'm abit worried though as I've never done anything like it before, you think they'd train people up? It says able to work to tight deadlines, what may these deadlines be?

I need a job, I applied at various places and I've had nothing back :( I'd say my CV is pretty good and I've got a voluntery job on there.

Comments

• teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/oct/1 ... rike-temps

Don't know unless you try.

I've got a friend who graduated with history from oxford with a 2.1 and has around 40 rejections already.

You're lucky if you get a response to say that they don't want you nowadays.

You should be fine for that job, as long as you don't mind being a scab :wink: [/list]
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    If you need experience, it'll say. You don't need experience for that, though if you can prove that you're up to the manual work, that will help. Apply for it, you may as well.
  • freehub
    I'm just worried, I'm abit slow what I mean is sometimes it takes me a while for something to just click and I understand it.

What do you mean with being a scab lol? I only want a job to earn some money, I need some new bike wheels and a quad cpu for my pc.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    freehub wrote:
    I'm just worried, I'm abit slow what I mean is sometimes it takes me a while for something to just click and I understand it.

What do you mean with being a scab lol? I only want a job to earn some money, I need some new bike wheels and a quad cpu for my pc.

I'm just teasing. I'd do the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strikebreaker

You'll soon find out if the job isn't for you when you apply. Either they give it to you and it works out (or not), or they won't.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • freehub
    Hmmmm, I'm thinking of not submiting it yet, I want to go home for half term and if I applied for this it's possible I might hear about it in the half term.
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    SCAB

Only joking........sounds great over the XMas period!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Just get Applying Will, or you want to go home to your mummy.

Really sounds like you don't want a job.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    edited October 2009
    I just miss home abit, I just like it better than the city that's all.

I clecked the submit buttom, they never asked about what days I can work, I have college 2 and a half days a week..
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    edited October 2009
    The Christmas Casual postman things quite good.

You apply, they take everyone for induction, go through the rules and how the sorting machinery is used.

This takes 2 to 3 hours, you get paid for it

Then you wait to see if they phone you up

If they do then they should train you for anything they want you to do (the guy at the induction says if you are asked to do anything you aren't trained for you must refuse)

I never got called

But then when they are finished with the casuals for the season you get a P45 and Holiday pay for the 2/3 hours at induction.

Sorting/Delivering mail isn't something your likely to learn anywhere other than on the job.

Also the Christmas period will probably coincide with your College holidays.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • redddraggon
    Just MTFU Will, I'm not a Fan of Manchester as a City really either, but I'm stuck here for another 3 Years, and I won't get time off like you - it's a full time thing now for me.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Postal applications only? :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    teagar wrote:
    freehub wrote:

I'm just teasing. I'd do the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strikebreaker

You'll soon find out if the job isn't for you when you apply. Either they give it to you and it works out (or not), or they won't.

SCABS, as I hum the internationale' :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    freehub wrote:

I'm abit worried though as I've never done anything like it before, you think they'd train people up? It says able to work to tight deadlines, what may these deadlines be?

I need a job, I applied at various places and I've had nothing back :( I'd say my CV is pretty good and I've got a voluntery job on there.
    do you really need a C.V. for that post. It seems like simple sorting and moving mail around, you should be up for that Will. Dont worry if you think you are a little slow on the uptake, i think they will be glad to have you.Go on apply,me thinks you will surprise yourself. If you are at Uni then you can certainly handle this type of work. :wink:
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • redddraggon
    ademort wrote:
    If you are at Uni then you can certainly handle this type of work. :wink:

It's not really Uni......
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    Redddddddraggggggon is right, it's UNI course ad a COLLEGE, The Manchester College to be precise.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    freehub wrote:
    Redddddddraggggggon is right, it's UNI course ad a COLLEGE, The Manchester College to be precise.
    Ok, so its not Uni, but college. You should still have the aptitude to do this job Will. If they had needed someone with previous experience then they would have stated so in the Job Description, dont let anyone put you off Will, go for it.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    freehub wrote:

Ha, tell that to an employer. God damn the labour government, setting up all these mickey mouse courses to fiddle with unemployment figures. Bit like Hitler with the jews to be fairly blunt :?
    What degree exactly are you studying that it can take place at college?!?
    Just man up and go for the job, stop acting half your age.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    freehub wrote:
    I only want a job to earn some money, I need some new bike wheels and a quad cpu for my pc.

Why quad core?Not much is programmed to make use of it yet.
  • freehub
    Wappygixer wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    I only want a job to earn some money, I need some new bike wheels and a quad cpu for my pc.

No, but my 4GHz E8500 aint fast enough to run GTA IV at smooth playable frame rates, still runs better than the PS3 though. I might hold off though, GTA IV seems abit shit.
  • redddraggon
    freehub wrote:
    Wappygixer wrote:
    freehub wrote:

No, but my 4GHz E8500 aint fast enough to run GTA IV at smooth playable frame rates, still runs better than the PS3 though. I might hold off though, GTA IV seems abit shoot.

Probably your GFX card rather than CPU.

TBH Will, just wait a bit and build a whole new computer rather than upgrading bits and pieces. How much you want for the E8500 though?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Apply for loads of jobs, expect loads of rejections its the way of the job hunter.
    Just don't get disheartened, most of us go through it at some stages.

And GTA IV is a blast imho, first game I got for my 360. After I got used to using those twiddly wee sticks instead of a mouse anyway.
  • freehub
    I can't really get into GTA IV, SA was much more fun..

As for jobs, I'm trying to apply for as much as I can, but I don't want to try bars/clubs/pubs.

RD, I want around £90 if I sell, it does 4GHz, maybe if I learnt the tweaks on the mobo I could get it to 4.5GHz.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Go and work in a bar you will get to meet lots of drunk and filthy women. :wink:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I worked in a job like that during one of my summer hols as a student, I worked there through an agency.

Just spray your CV all over the place, don't think too carefully before sending your CV out (within reason). Believe me, I have worked in the recruitment industry for nearly 10 years and have seen the most ridiculous applications possible.

What's the worst that can happen? You waste the price of a stamp and some paper and never hear from them again? If you get an interview and then don't get the job it's all good experience and you get better at interviewing.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Stick with the E8500 and get the best graphics card you can afford.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    dmclite wrote:
    Go and work in a bar you will get to meet lots of drunk and filthy women. :wink:

+1 Why would you not want to work in a bar? Then you get your days free to ride :D

Mmm drunk filthy women *drool*
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    freehub wrote:

Dude I did this job about 14 years ago. I did the night shift. They do give you training, but trust me, my 7 year old son could do this job, so don't worry about it.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I dare say if you walk in a straight line and can read to at least "Key Stage 1" level you'll be in with a chance of being in the 30,000 or so people they plan to hire....

Bob
  • And I don't think it will really matter what you put in your CV. I had to train up someone (whose CV claimed extensive international postal experience) to replace me in the post room of an international organisation as I was about go off to do a mature students degree. During their first week they actually asked asked me:

''Is Belgium in Europe?''

They were still there when I temped over the following summer.
  • redddraggon
    Would you employ this guy? :lol:

023rn.jpg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr