Off the front and peeling off

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2009 in Amateur race
When taking a turn at the front of the bunch, is the etiquette to flick your right elbow to let the guy behind come up and you drift to the right, then settle back in the bunch ?

Comments

• BigDarbs
    BigDarbs Posts: 132
    When riding in a bunch, it is generally a flick of the right elbow and move left. If you move right you will essentially be saying to him come through on the right with a flick of that elbow, then moving into his path.

Call them through with a flick of the elbow on the side they are approaching from, then drift away from their direction. So if they are coming up on the left (which they may do in a race) then flick the left elbow and move right. No sudden movements!

All very simple.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks. :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    What direction you peel-off can also depend on the direction of the wind - generally you peel off on the downwind side or the side that is the safest. I wouldn't worry too much about the elbow flick, look back over your shoulder to see the way is clear and ease up on the pedals - the guys behind will pull through to take your place.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • if you are just tapping along you normally dont need to flick your elbow, however if you are giving it some beansin a break or to drag a break back i find it is useful to do a flick then
  • Anonymous
    I'm never on the front until the finish line so I wouldn't know.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    I'm never on the front until the finish line so I wouldn't know.

Man after my own heart except I was never there at the finish line either. Never bothered with an elbow flick, just checked my shoulder and peeled off once I'd done my stint (2 or 3 seconds!).
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    How long do you have to be 'on the front' before you can repectably 'peel off'?
  • Anonymous
    curium wrote:
    How long do you have to be 'on the front' before you can repectably 'peel off'?

Once on the front, you don't peel off. You give the rider immediately behind you 'the look' and keep pushing as hard as you can until you have crushed their souls.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Varies really, I've done handicap races where it's through and off. As a rough guide once you start to slow you may as well let someone else take over.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Monty Dog wrote:
    What direction you peel-off can also depend on the direction of the wind - generally you peel off on the downwind side or the side that is the safest. I wouldn't worry too much about the elbow flick, look back over your shoulder to see the way is clear and ease up on the pedals - the guys behind will pull through to take your place.

Think you mean upwind montydog, so riders moving to front are sheltered.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

Think you mean upwind montydog, so riders moving to front are sheltered.

Oops! Yes, ride upwind on the sheltered side - I've only ever seen it work properly on a fast group ride, never in a race - as soon as you start working the echelon some numbtie blasts off down the outside thinking he can ride faster that 6 well-drilled riders taking turns
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..