Training for L’Etape du Tour 2010

hanegby
hanegby Posts: 4
Hi,
I just signed up for the 2010 Etape.
It will be my first time participating in race of that scale. So, I was hoping if someone could recommend on a solid training schedule that will get me ready by July.
I have been riding around 100 – 200 miles a week for the last 14 months, so I think I have the base. But I’m not sure how to prepare for this one.
How long before do I need to start the specific training for the Etape? I live in New York, so not a lot of mountains around here, how do I find a solution for that?
I do know what I’m getting into since I rode up the Ventoux last summer and learned what HC climbs are all about.
I will appreciate any response.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi, I live in Ohio and have done the Etape 3 times.
    Most of my training was done on the trainer. You can incline your bike to simulate hills. I do mostly 2x20 at threshold and 2 hour tempo rides. Try to lift up the intensity of both throughout the winter/Spring
    When the nice weather comes I do long outdoor rides. My favorite is to ride 3 hours tempo before a brutal group ride. As that is what it feels to do the last climb after 100 miles of riding .... :)
    Get some serious shorts gears. I have a triple with a 27 cassette. I have also put a 29 in the back. It is easier tu suffer at 70rpm than at 50 :D

If I have a chance I'll head out the southern PA for a weekend to train on some longer climbs.
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    betulla - wise words about the gears - the Marie Blanc is incredibly steep!
    hanegby - I suggest (amongst other things) doing say a 150k sportive every 2 weeks for a couple of months before the Etape. This helps get used to being in the saddle for many hours and makes you face up to eg what to do when you have nothing much left but 50km still to ride. You must feed properly and concentrate well on longer rides - and they give you confidence that you can complete the Etape. (BTW I have done 5, always reliably Bronze, & I am a very average non-racing cyclist of 57)
  • FatLarry
    FatLarry Posts: 209
    Some useful tips here

http://www.etape.org.uk/
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    hanegby wrote:
    Hi,
    I just signed up for the 2010 Etape.
    It will be my first time participating in race of that scale. So, I was hoping if someone could recommend on a solid training schedule that will get me ready by July.
    I have been riding around 100 – 200 miles a week for the last 14 months, so I think I have the base. But I’m not sure how to prepare for this one.
    How long before do I need to start the specific training for the Etape? I live in New York, so not a lot of mountains around here, how do I find a solution for that?
    I do know what I’m getting into since I rode up the Ventoux last summer and learned what HC climbs are all about.
    I will appreciate any response.
    Thanks in advance.

Put your bike in the car or get the greyhound out of the city and into the hills.

the Poconos are an hours drive away, admittedly there's nothing there that is HC but you can do a lot of climbing in one day that will get your legs used to long repetitive climbs.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    how di dyou sign up for this so soon, I didn't think it was open for entries yet