New bike delivered with front fork the wrong way round!

drabfurs
drabfurs Posts: 188
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
After discovering the above am obviously concerned at who put the bike togther and if the rest of it is ok!! My main question is this, should a new bike come with the chain lubed.

Im a newbie and not sure if there is enough on there, doesnt feel like much to touch.

I took it out for the first time today and it rides great but the gears are clanking a bit when changed...is this normal for a new bike, does it need bedding in?

If I need more lubewhat should I use?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    was it the wrong way round?

Pics?

which side of the bike is the disc on?

chains come pre lubed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • djb1971
    djb1971 Posts: 565
    If you had it from Pauls in a box you had to adjust the bars and set it up, no?
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Are you sure the bars weren't just turned the wrong way round so it could fit in the box?

Or are the forks Manitou?
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Whytepeak wrote:
    Are you sure the bars weren't just turned the wrong way round so it could fit in the box?

Or are the forks Manitou?

lol +1
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Whytepeak wrote:

Not that old chestnut, unless the forks were really put on upside down that would be a cause for concern :o
    As for the chain it depends on the chain, there are plenty of threads about this have look around and do a search.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • mayonaise
    mayonaise Posts: 159
    Isn't to do with this bike but I recently bought a bike from evans (mail order) and the brake levers were put on upside down, meaning the wrong way round, with all the cables showing on the underside. How stupid do you have to be to do that!? And he works in evans!
  • drabfurs
    It was def on the wrong way round, sorry no pics before I changed it! However because they put it on the wrong way the tyre is also on the wrong way round, which I need to change.

The disc brake is on the left now, was on the right.

Chain lube has def helped too.

Yes the bike did come from Pauls with just the handlebars, pedals and seat post to attach

Took it to my LBS Halfords yesterday, nice guy called Carl pointed out the tyre etc and said there wasnt enough lube on the chain. Was really helpful actually.

Rode the bike this morning 8 miles and it runs like a dream....made hills so much easier compared to my old bike and love the sus now its on the right way round. Def more fun riding into work than the road bike.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    So when it was delivered, the stem was attached, and would have been pointing towards the saddle if the forks were turned the right way?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • drabfurs
    Yes!
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Must have been a huge box if the bike was shipped with the handlebars at 90degrees to the front wheel... :?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Was the front wheel installed?
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Kiblams wrote:
    Must have been a huge box if the bike was shipped with the handlebars at 90degrees to the front wheel... :?

They do this sometimes, mine came from rutland cycles like this.
    This is the bike straight out the box:

908e9576.jpg

Yes the box is HUGE.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    supersonic wrote:
    Was the front wheel installed?

Aha! you may have a point there, if the front wheel is off the same sized box can be used and still have the stem tightened at the correct angle (or in this instance; incorrect angle)
  • drabfurs
    Yep huge box, which my two year old loves, front wheel wasnt installed.

I dont mind if its my fault as its help me learn a load anyway....but I just cant see how it was if I didnt install the front stem (what the haddle bars attach to)

"I spoke to the shop who insisted if they had someone building bikes like that they would be fired"
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    drabfurs wrote:
    but I just cant see how it was if I didnt install the front stem (what the haddle bars attach to)

That's what I was getting at, just making sure the stem wasn't set up 90 degrees away from where it should have been, to fit in the box. Because then it needs a 90 deg turn to set it up for riding, but obviously if it gets turned 90 deg the wrong way, it ends up backwards! But sounds like a genuine shop error there.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."