GPS units

2»

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    apreading wrote:
    I find 1:25,000 OS maps dont show all the paths that 1:50,000 maps do - at least using the maps on bike hike etc.

That doesn't sound right - you sure you haven't got that the wrong way round? :?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Buckle
    Buckle Posts: 90
    I do like the look of the Oregan 300 and have seen it for £232 on Amazon which is still a bit steep so might have to consider the 200. Only drawback, again, is the cost of a SE England map, but if that's what I need I'd have to stump up.

Out of interest, can waymarkers be added on the fly? I always get the urge to dart off the main trail if I see something that could be a little bit tasty but this can then lead to probelms a) getting back on the trail or b) finding the new bit again easily on a later date...
    Don't you just hate it when people ask rhetorical questions...
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    Buckle wrote:
    Out of interest, can waymarkers be added on the fly?

Yes. :wink:
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    dave_hill wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    I find 1:25,000 OS maps dont show all the paths that 1:50,000 maps do - at least using the maps on bike hike etc.

That doesn't sound right - you sure you haven't got that the wrong way round? :?

No not the wrong way around but I have just had a look on the OS website and concluded that the 1:25,000 maps on www.BikeHike.co.uk are not the Explorer Maps.

The proper explorer maps look very good but what you get on bikehike is a bit naff - looking around it looks like the Street View which is actually 1:10,000 but has not brideways or paths.

The 1:50,000 maps are great on bikehike.

I have looked at samples of the propler 1:25,000 explorer maps and you are right - these look very good.
  • dombra
    dombra Posts: 46
    got an garmin etrex venture hc. reasonably cheap and i love it. especially if you thief memmap from somewhere. there are other free maps i have yet to try.
    though you wont get much out of it if you turn up in the hills and expect to guide yourself with it. small screen and memmap not OS standard.

great if you can get tracklogs of the route from someone else or a prepared to plot your own using googlemaps etc before going out or for recording a route that someone else is guiding. i ride solo a lot and is very nice to just follow the dots of a preplanned route, no getting maps out at every junction and i even get the names of the hills/rivers etc i am passing

didnt think i was a geek but it is also nice to see your speed/climb/distance over a route you sweated over.

other people might not see the point but then again i dont see the point of a full sus or full face in slightly hilly england :lol:
  • Buckle
    Buckle Posts: 90
    Well, after reading more about these units, overall, I think I'm going to plump for the Satmap. One last question though - if I download a route someone has uploaded, does it matter if I am using my own map of say 1:50,000 if the route uploaded was done using a map of 1:25,000?

I'm guessing not because I would think it's all about the coordinates but can someone just give me a little advice.

Many thanks.
    Don't you just hate it when people ask rhetorical questions...
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Buckle wrote:
    Well, after reading more about these units, overall, I think I'm going to plump for the Satmap. One last question though - if I download a route someone has uploaded, does it matter if I am using my own map of say 1:50,000 if the route uploaded was done using a map of 1:25,000?

I'm guessing not because I would think it's all about the coordinates but can someone just give me a little advice.

Many thanks.
    No it just overlays it on whatever format you're using 8) If i use Satmaps online mapping software to plot routes i always use 1:25000 for the detail,then it just overlays it on my 1:50000 National Parks SD card 8)
  • Jenks66
    Jenks66 Posts: 96
    I use my GPS if I'm riding a new trail, I preplot on memory map and upload then can just follow the route as i ride. Ocasionaly need to refer to paper map if there is a dificult junction etc but greatly improves the flow of the ride.

I take it on my local rides so I can mark possible future trails to explore

I also now take it with me at trail centres too after seeing the problems the ambulance service had finding a caualty so if i ned to i can give give my exact lactaion if needed in an emergency.

So basically take it everywhere now but take a map too as the bateries dont run out on those!
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I use the garmin edge 305. I never used the heart rate monitor with it. I use mine in conjunction with Memry map. Its simple to track a route your riding and download straight to memory map or plot your route on memory map and follow it on the ground.

I visited the North York moores last year, downloaded a load of routes into my garmin and off we went when we got there. I find it handy if I go out on a new route with mates, I can track the route and then ride it again without getting lost until I know my way round like the back of my hand.

If you do plan on going on wild rides a GPS is no substitute for a map and compass. My 305 wont give me a grid reference.

If you are on a budget look at the Garmin edge 205. You can plot and track routes, you dont get any cadence or heart rate monitors and it wont give you your exact height above sea level.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.