Troutelight Lumen Liberator

Comments

• Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Admittedly the light is a bit brighter than those pictures suggest, friends have seen it in the flesh and said how mad it is. :lol:
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • seing it in the flesh its a Very impressive little package! Very bright, and thats in low mode lol! high is just silly!!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • i'm gonna order me self a 6 xpe
  • Dazzza
    Why xpe you wan't xpg!!
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • which ones xpg?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Awesome stuff. Although, it does seem to take the "night" out of "night riding" :lol:
  • Dazzza
    which ones xpg?

If you mean this light then it'll come with xpg led's they're the latest buying xpe's would be a step backwards.
    Giant Anthem X
  • With the light being so bright... doesn't it defy the challenge of a night ride? :?
  • NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    Damn!!! When I seel my shares he is definitely in line for getting some of my money in exchange for one of those beasts!
  • Ben - When your you coming out for a ride with The Woollybacks?

It was you who contacted us the other weeks wasn't it?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    With the light being so bright... doesn't it defy the challenge of a night ride? :?

Powerful brakes, a comfy saddle and grippy tyres don't ruin the "challenge" of a ride.

I'm sure there are many people (myself included) who just want to ride. At the moment it's almost dark when I get home from work, I don't want to specifically "night-ride", it's just that when I'm able to ride it happens to be dark.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bails, I think his comment and mine were meant in humour.
    you muppet :roll:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    muppet
    :cry:

Surely it's a valid point though? The first part of my post was tongue in cheek, to illustrate the point. But there are plenty of people who've made the point about "too much" light being a bad thing.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is it 2200 lumens or 1600? Seems to be a few figures lurking.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    supersonic wrote:
    Is it 2200 lumens or 1600? Seems to be a few figures lurking.

reading from this thread and from troutie's site.....i gather that the LED manufacturers maximum output for this combination should be 2200, but troutie says on his site that there will be loss, so he says 1600 actual.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Dazzza
    Well i know the xpg's are 350 genuine lumens that that makes it 2100 minus say 13% which is the usual losses for carlco optics so you could easily call it 1800 lumens i think trout is just being uber conservative just in case. ;)

Either way most of the time i ride on low with the high setting only on when i really need it, trust me the amount of light won't ever be an issue. ;)
    Giant Anthem X
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Dazzza

After a few emails to "the trout" I've pretty much decided I'm having one of these beauties, he says he has no battery bags at the moment, where did you get yours?

Cheers

Dave
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    hmmm, wonder if he'd do a bulk order for the mtb club...
  • Dazzza
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Dazzza

After a few emails to "the trout" I've pretty much decided I'm having one of these beauties, he says he has no battery bags at the moment, where did you get yours?

Cheers

Dave

Lumicycle, the bag for their elite battery is ideal for a 2.6ah pack from smudge.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Dazzza wrote:
    Lumicycle, the bag for their elite battery is ideal for a 2.6ah pack from smudge.

£5.95 including postage

Bag.jpg
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Thanks for that :)

Whats the charging process for these batteries by the way? is it automatic as in you cant knacker the battery by leaving it on too long?

And how secure is the part where the battery plug joins the main unit....is this part waterproof? it looks a bit exposed....im comparing to my hopes which have a sealed click connector thing....

A lot of questions sorry, i want to be sure before i part wit a wad of cash though :)
  • Yes battery charger switches off when charged .

When I build them they are waterproof the socket is sealed

if you are not far from gisburn forest you could pop in and have look at one
    as I am in silsden
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    That back does not look waterproof or showerproof?

Looks open to me.

How does it handle in the rain?
  • http://yakers.co.nz/coastalclassic/1852.html

this guy has the first one off the bench and used it in this race .
  • Looking forward to this Thursday's club ride out with them.

I went out for a short blast with the dog running up front last night and it was awesome the dog can't see now though
  • Dazzza
    Anyone else got em?
    Giant Anthem X
  • I've bought the self build kit and must say its smaller than it looks in all these close up pics.
    Cnc machining is 1st class.
    I broke my 5th metacarpel in scotland so have been unable to ride since building it up but I'am looking forward to this weeks club ride.
    Garden testing it looks very very good :D
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Wow, very impressive stuff you've made! Do you produce any lights for under £100?
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    IMO That bloke deserves some recognition and few awards .

And should apply for a grant from the EU to expand his business

If i had the cash I would just do that ,, I would invest in his product and help him expand ...