should i get a new frame?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2009 in MTB general
i recently built a steel ht. I really like it. I like it so much that i think i could prefer one of these more expensive alternatives that folk talk about.

Thing is i dont know exactly why i like my ht. It feels pretty comfy but i dont know if this is down to the contact points and long seatpost or the frame's trail buzz dampening abilities.

If it turns out to be nowt to do with the frame, should i buy a similar style bike in a lighter package made from alu?

Should i buy a more refined steel frame as i would notice the frame's qualities and understand the justification for the higher price tag.

Or should i keep the current bike because even though its a bit ugly and a bit small for me (according to everyone else, not me i think it fits juuuuuuust right) it is very good and i love riding it so why fix that which is not actually broken?

Bike is in my sig as '456' please vote and let me know why you have made your vote

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    edited October 2009
    Live with what you've got for a while and you'll be better able to isolate / gauge exactly what it is you like about it. Does no harm to have a good ponder and reflect sometimes. Took me ages and much demo'ing of both materials to figure out why I generally preferred steel over alu. Sure component parts play a big part in overall ride but I found charging over a stone and rock track a few times quickly spells a frames characteristics out to you. You either like, dislike or aren't arsed. When you smile and it feels 'right' you know that's the one. Was the case for me anyway.

And I'd say the Soul but you'd need to speak to them about how it handles big folk.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    sheepsteeth - why, exactly are you wanting another bike..?

I'm not sure, see. You have a bike which you claim is ''juuuuuuust right'', and that you ''love riding it''. Kinda answered your own question mate.

If you do sell, and buy an up-grade, it will be wrong. It will feel different, geometery will be all wrong, the ride will be harsh and you'll be out of pocket, and p!ssed off that you ever got rid of it. I promise.

I think partly your bike feels sooo comfortable is the MAHOOSIVE seatpost! It's about 4ft long! Either way, it's probably down to that seatpost eating up the trail buzz. If you want it even more 'dampened' without ThudBustering it up, or similar, get a decent Ti or Carbon seatpost. I'm a firm believer anyhow.

If it's just looks you want, why not send your frame away to Argos Racing Cycles to get a new coat of paint (or clearcoat... 8) ), and any other mods / adjustments you want, like full length gea cable outers, etc. Definitely worth investigating.

But... If you absolutely 'need' another bike, or a change of bike, then how about one of Curtis Bikes finest?? I love the 'Freeride' frame (the one in the linky :wink: ), and would buy one tomorow, if the funds would allow... Or possibly a Titainium On-One 456 for a mere £799!! An amazing price for such a great Ti bike. But alas, you have a cracking bike already. It sounds to me like you want another bike for a bike's sake... Think about it, do you really want to go through the hassle of sourcing, buying, disassembling, re-assembling, selling your old frame and posting and packing it, just to find out that you have a bike that doesn't feel as good, or worse, is the wrong size.... Your choice, but I'd keep your bike, me being you.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    theres no definate plan to get a new bike, i have all the ones i 'need' but i have cash left over from the build as it came in a long way under budget due to the cheap frame.
    Im more than happy with it but i cant help thinking a more refined frame would even better.

The purpose of the poll is to see if others agree that im best off with what i have or if there is likely to be any real world improvement with a 'better' frame

Everyone seems very excited by the long seatpost, surely if a long post even exists, they must have a purpose and even on the on*one website it is advised to run it with a long post.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Yeah man, long seat posts FTW! Don't listen to anyone who says they don't flex... Bollox! Alu ones will, but more likely to snap that Carbon or Ti.

And for all you 'non-believers', heres how a long post flexs...

Firstly, they DO NOT compress. Thats a pretty silly idea. They flex the same way a tall, young tree (pine for example) bends in high winds. The tree certainly doesn't compress (lol!) but it sways, much in the same way a seatpost will, if it's long enough. Moreso if it's made out of naturally springy material.

The longer it is, the more it will flex. The heavier the rider the more it will flex. And the greater the angle to horizontal, the more it will flex. It's pretty much the last one, however, that induces the biggest flex, and so the most 'comfort' or trail-buzz damping.

If you feel you need a change, then go for it. Beast your dollars out on a new frame, but FWIW, I think the 456 is one of - if not THE - best UK trail hardtail. You got a good bike, and a good set-up. Why potentially wreck it!? 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    what size is the on one as i may be in the market for a new frame soon, how much abuse can it take?

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!