Puerto delayed again

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2009 in Pro race
http://www.velonews.com/article/99302

And there you were thinking it was dead, eh?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• It's needs a touch of cardiac massage at the very least!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    It kinda negates the usefulness of anti-doping rules if everyone involved has retired by the time the cases get dealt with.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Zzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Surely everyone knows Vienna's where it's at now, Madrid's soooo last year.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    afx237vi wrote:
    It kinda negates the usefulness of anti-doping rules if everyone involved has retired by the time the cases get dealt with.

...or has died :?

But maybe at this rate it'll be from old age......
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    There's a different angle from Germany. Der Spiegel is nailing Ullrich for 24 visits to Fuentes between 2003 and 2006.

The German police have compiled a 2219 page report - thorough these polizei, no Spanish practices here - and are sure that Ullrich doped. Part of the evidence comes from a seized computer belonging to Rudy Pevenage, the former Telekom/T-Mobile boss who became Ullrich's right hand man. T-Mobile tried to get Ullrich to dump Pevenage ("come with us, go to Freiburg instead of Madrid" ?). Pevenage flew to Madrid 15 times between 2003 and 2006, often for just a few hours and usually just before Ullrich entered a training camp.

Ullrich paid €80,000 to Fuentes. That's averaging €20,000 a year, so much more than the likes of Frank "amigo di Birillo" Schleck was paying for his training plans.

But as much as this report nails Ullrich, the German's already laughing from the millions earned, his reputation only fell apart right at the end of his career. Practically everyone knows he doped, so this report is only confirming that and a ban isn't going to fix much.

The UCI is rightly having a go at the Spanish authorities but it could do a lot more. Verbruggen sits on the IOC and with WADA angry too, pressure could be brought on the Spanish to exclude them from the Olympics and other events if they are going soft on doping.
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    I love how Rudy P in that article states that he simply visited for "nutrition plans" for Ullrichs weight problems. €80k worth!!!! :lol:
  • iainf72
    Didn't they reckon Ullrich flew to Madrid on the rest day of the 06 Giro then rinsed the TT the next day?

I have to admit, I hold more distain for Ullrich than I do for Lance.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    JU made 24 trips to Spain in 2 or so years. Some man...love the way Pevenage exploits the weight problem to explain the need for Fuentes...as if we don't have the DNA proof. Ullrich is still in hot water for possible perjruy I read. he swore he was clean in the winter 02 into 03...let's hope Coast lawyers don't find proof he was seeing Fuentes in the winter 02-03

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ullrich ... uentes-24-
  • iainf72
    Here's the original article in english

http://www.spiegel.de/international/ger ... 66,00.html
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:

Ullrich isn't out of the woods yet. He could easily be done for perjury. Coast and the professor chap threaten that
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    jim one wrote:
    I love how Rudy P in that article states that he simply visited for "nutrition plans" for Ullrichs weight problems. €80k worth!!!! :lol:

€80K and still fking fat!*

* tho not as fat as me :oops:

Strava is not Zen.
  • Ooooh look. Another libellous thread. :P :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Ooooh look. Another libellous thread. :P :roll:

Exactly, he was never really all that fat.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    ROFL

Just read that Ullrich has apparantly written a letter confessing to....

ATTEMPTED DOPING!!!!
  • Kléber
    An attempt can be successful. For example, a footballer may kick a ball towards the goal, he might score; a robber could attempt to walk into a bank with a sawn-off shotgun and walk back out with a bag of cash.
  • iainf72
    I think he was just saying he stashed blood just in case.

Didn't use it.
  • Kléber
    €80,000 to store blood, to get some nutritional advice and perhaps some free "training plans" thrown into the bargain? What's German for "pull the other one, it's got bells on"?
  • iainf72
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    iainf72 wrote:
    The doping expert Werner Franke, mentioned at the bottom of this article, also claims that the severance money paid by T-Mobile to Ullrich was a bribe of sorts for him to keep quiet, i.e. T-Mobile didn’t want him to spill the beans about other doping practices at T-Mobile, some of which have since come to light. If this is true, it casts a bad light on the sponsor (up to now, one could imagine knowledge of questionable practices was restricted to the team staff, and that the T-Mobile company board was ignorant of what Godefroot and Pevenage were up to).

Another ‘keep silent’ command Ullrich got was from his manager Strohband , who told JU not to mention anything to his wife, I suppose because Strohband felt ‘women can never keep a secret’. However, it seems JU at some point did tell his wife what he was up to, because subsequent investigations of things like his telephone calls apparently show she was one of those who encouraged JU to deny everything when the connection to Fuentes came to light.

I don’t feel sorry for Ullrich when I hear how much he earned some years, although it must seem unfair to him that he’s being hounded while others who did the same are getting off. But if doping wasn’t illegal at the time in Spain, I don’t see why the Spanish judiciary should be pro-active in pursuing the matter. Lucky for those one might like to see exposed, but life isn’t fair.