Bike maintenance course in Glasgow

montevideoguy
montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
...put simply...are there any?
I know there are courses done by the Edinburgh bike coop but that's quite a trek. Is there anything over the Glasgow area that covers the basics? (don't fancy taking my bike apart without having some clue as to what I'm doing haha)
Formally known as Coatbridgeguy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looked in the Tech links sticky.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Solid rock cycles in Balmore were advertising training courses last year, not sure if they still are or how much it costs though (their website is down)
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    http://www.walkerscycling.co.uk/tuition_maintenance.htm

Kilmaurs is an hour from Coatbridge via Bothwell Bridge, East Kilbride then M77.
  • Alpine Bikes do a maintenance course but it doesn't seem to cover as much as the Edinburgh bike co-op one. I'm making the trip through from Glasgow to Edinburgh on Friday to do it.
  • Mork77
    Mork77 Posts: 8
    I recently did the course at the Edinburgh Bike CO-OP and it was great, very informative and has given me the confidence and knowledge to try to fix and maintain most things myself now.
  • I'll second Mork77's comments, the course was great.
  • Any idea how long the course lasts and how much it costs?
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    ...put simply...are there any?
    I know there are courses done by the Edinburgh bike coop but that's quite a trek. Is there anything over the Glasgow area that covers the basics? (don't fancy taking my bike apart without having some clue as to what I'm doing haha)

See that's what happens to people that have never had a bike when they were a nipper ..

Cos when yer a nipper and years go by you know how to fix anything .on yer bike

It's part of the learning experience of growing up ..

I wouldn't waste my cash on any course it's a blatent ripp off ,, have you not got neighbours that has bikes , do you not talk to your neighbours has none of yer pals got bikes ... what about people that you work with can you not ask them ??? , Has your Dad never taught / showed you how to change a tyre , loosen a bolt etc ??? or any of your brothers etc
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    colintrav wrote:
    I wouldn't waste my cash on any course it's a blatent ripp off ,, have you not got neighbours that has bikes , do you not talk to your neighbours has none of yer pals got bikes ... what about people that you work with can you not ask them ??? , Has your Dad never taught / showed you how to change a tyre , loosen a bolt etc ??? or any of your brothers etc

I think it depends on the level and the accuracy of knowledge you wish to achieve. I agree, every cyclist should know how to change a tyre, repair a puncture and a basic post/pre ride shakedown never goes a miss, but when you think your £600+ forks need a service, I personally, would never undertake that challenge just because a mate a work said it was easy.

Although nowhere near Glasgow, I have found that the cycle maintenance courses that I've attended in the South have been invaluable.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    mellex wrote:
    colintrav wrote:

I think it depends on the level and the accuracy of knowledge you wish to achieve. I agree, every cyclist should know how to change a tyre, repair a puncture and a basic post/pre ride shakedown never goes a miss, but when you think your £600+ forks need a service, I personally, would never undertake that challenge just because a mate a work said it was easy.

Although nowhere near Glasgow, I have found that the cycle maintenance courses that I've attended in the South have been invaluable.

Shocks the basic working principal of any shock absober is still the same ,

Standard shocks operate differently to racing shocks .. due to the nature useage still the working principal/mechanics is still the same ..

And if your paying 600 plus for Shocks I would expect a detailed manual covering all aspects including taking aprt

... Every car and Motorbike that is sold or not Includes has a manual that details every working element .