Steel frames - Whats all the fuss about??

2»

Comments

• djames77
    djames77 Posts: 164
    NatoED

Steel is harder than Aluminium (which in turn makes aluminium easier to machine, as an aside) but is also 'ARDER if you get my drift ;)

Aluminium is not easier to machine than steel, whether or not it's case hardened. In fact, i always found steel - MS steel or d12 etc.. much easier to machine than alu. With alu you need more coolant and a different slot / end mill with a greater angle on it to clear the swarf. It's more difficult to machine acuratley
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I think he meant easier to cut, rather than easier to work with.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • djames77
    djames77 Posts: 164
    Northwind wrote:
    I think he meant easier to cut, rather than easier to work with.

but it isn't easier to cut, unless your using the same tool, which you wouldn't. Alu is a bugger to work with, be it machining or grinding.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Don't agree with that at all, aluminium has a lower specific cutting force and there's plenty of circumstances where you can use the same tools. A good example being drilling, I know you're not going to tell me it's harder to drop a hole through mild steel than it is through a typical aluminium alloy, using a typical all-purpose HSS bit.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Northwind wrote:
    I know you're not going to tell me it's harder to drop a hole through mild steel than it is through a typical aluminium alloy, using a typical all-purpose HSS bit.

or indeed that cutting through an alu section is anywhere near as hard as cutting through the same section in steel with a hacksaw

NW said it all for me while I wasn't watching (still smarting from getting the ductility thing wrong :wink: ) but the hardness comment was somewhat of a joke, hence the dropped H but nvm.

/back on topic although I think this one's been bled dry rather.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    this is a funny one, i have a GT aggressor xcr. but, if i could ( if i had some spare cash) i would swap the frame for a 456 tomorow. i like the gt frame, but for some reason i want a steel bike, i think its
    A. the suposed "feel"
    B. the durability
    C. the looks!
    anyway, unless someone want to sell a 456 frame for about £25 im gonna have to stick with alu. ( i know the 456 is cheap at £150 rrp, but im only a paperboy!)
    I like bikes and stuff
  • I got a steel frame (NS Surge) for my hardtail because of two reasons:

1. I like that the tubing is simple and doesn't have massively oversized tubes like other long travel hardtails made of allu

2. The price - the Surge is one of the cheapest long travel frames you can buy
  • boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 316
    The way I look at it (probably a little naively) is that with steel the stiffness doesnt have to be built into the frame design so much.With aluminium you have oversized tubing, more gussets etc which in turn makes the frame less springy and compliant than steel.

I've always preferered the feel of a steel bike, from back when I had a CroMo Sunn Trall in 1998. I always prefered the ride of that to my mate's Rockhopper. Now I ride an On-One Inbred, which cost £125 brand new :P
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    boogercj wrote:
    The way I look at it (probably a little naively) is that with steel the stiffness doesnt have to be built into the frame design so much.With aluminium you have oversized tubing, more gussets etc which in turn makes the frame less springy and compliant than steel.

I've always preferered the feel of a steel bike, from back when I had a CroMo Sunn Trall in 1998. I always prefered the ride of that to my mate's Rockhopper. Now I ride an On-One Inbred, which cost £125 brand new :P

Yes that is corect. Steel, with the different fatigue characteristics, can be built safely into a flexier frame. Alu, with its low density, is very well suited to oversizing.

I still think things like seatpost and tyres have more of a notciable effect, and prefer the much lighter weight of alu.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    The whole Steel vs Alu vs Ti vs Carbon has been done to death on the road fora... to sum it up in not many words, 'yes each material does have its own characteristics, but the actual design of the frame has a much greater affect on how that frame will ride than what it is made of.'
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    yeah, but steel is best :wink:
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -