Awesome Afan Forest !

stunnertier1
stunnertier1 Posts: 76
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Was there mon,tue & wed this week, had a awesome time.

Highlight of the trip was the mental optional Black loop on Whites Level. The final part was totally breathtaking, so steep & tech, loved it !!! the 5k climb at the start is so worth it for the other 20k of awsome decents & technical parts.

I thought the Wall was good too, highlight was the graveyard sectiion with giant bolders, then Zig Zags final decent was pretty tasty too.

Cant wait to get down there again to tackle Skyline.

here are a few pics from the trip.

SNV30686.jpg

SNV30726.jpg

SNV30720.jpg

meairzigzags.jpg

jamieair.jpg

Kona Coilair 2008 (Marzocchi 66's up front)

Comments

• rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    cool man, the skyline will only dissapoint you (other than last decsent)its more of an endurance thing the skyline. its cool when people have awesome time at a new trail centre :lol:
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    rhyko7 wrote:
    the skyline will only dissapoint you (other than last decsent)its more of an endurance thing the skyline.

Disagree. Yes, there is quite a bit of fire road but the many singletrack sections are ace.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    ah memories memories...I love Afan...
  • there was 5 section closed on skyline so we gave it a miss and did Whites twice !

Kona Coilair 2008 (Marzocchi 66's up front)
  • Graveyard and Zig Zags are my favourite runs at Afan, they are quality runs!

...The first pic looks like the little DH section just before you get to the Graveyard just as you come out of the forest, there's a big burm behind the camera right?
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I was there on monday too, how perfect was the weather?! I've done Whites loads and it just gets better every time I ride it. I seem to enjoy different sections every time I go there, it was all about the energy trail this time around and then hidden valley on penhydd afterwards. :D
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    I was there Tuesday for my first ever trip...wow :) Great weather and thought Whites was amazing....Windy Point just flows and Energy was brilliant ...and....and....grinning still 8)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    God I miss it!

I'll be back in the sadle Xmas time and that's where I'm going. It's only half an hour for me
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    wordnumb wrote:
    rhyko7 wrote:
    the skyline will only dissapoint you (other than last decsent)its more of an endurance thing the skyline.

Disagree. Yes, there is quite a bit of fire road but the many singletrack sections are ace.

when its fully open its ok, last few times ive been ther have been a lot of diversions and it ends up 75% on fire road
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    rhyko7 wrote:
    wordnumb wrote:
    rhyko7 wrote:

when its fully open its ok, last few times ive been ther have been a lot of diversions and it ends up 75% on fire road

Really? Bugger that then.
  • Did the zig zags at the end of a night ride last week - Amazing, although I did lose the trail at one point. Can't wait to get back up there. :D
    Just ride!

Old School - GT Pantera
    New School - Genesis Core 30
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    going on saturday. anyone else there? :D
  • stylish
    stylish Posts: 168
    Had a brilliant time their last weekend, the climb at the start was well worth it, found a fantastic place to stay in Cymmer, and a great pub to eat in, even had time to have my biggest shunt yet on the energy section! cant wait to go back.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    welshkev wrote:
    going on saturday. anyone else there? :D

yep 7 of us going from the S/E, leaving early hours then ride all day B+B then ride all day sunday.
    say hi if you see 7 blokes not used to riding on "proper" mountains lol
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i will do mate, we'll be there at about 10am. i'm a fat bloke on a felt (in my sig) and i'll be with my mate who's just bought a new felt so he'll be on a spanking new white one!!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    great! glad you enjoyed , it is amazing, im lucky to live so close..... did you do penhydd? its got to be my fave after whites, the singletrack is fantastic! sidewinder has to be one of mt fave sections anywhere!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • I did Penhydd this week for the first time in ages. An oldie but still a goodie. I'll second that about Sidewinder. Absolute class - and I can see my house from there!