Why do 2 sets of identical brakes not feel the same?

mac_man
mac_man Posts: 918
edited October 2009 in MTB general
My current bike has Tektro Auriga Comp hydraulic discs. 180mm rotor on the front and a 160mm rotor at the back. Bike is only 2 months old.

My son just got a 9 month Rockhopper with the exact same Tektro brakes. This has 160mm rotors front and rear.

The braking force on the Rockhopper just doesn't feel as strong. Mine stops on a sixpence whereas the Rockhopper doesn't seem to. The brakes feel kinda spongy. The rear brake more so.... slam it on and even downhill the wheel hardly locks up.

Bike itself is absolutely mint with barely a scratch on it. Guy I bought if off reckons it's done about 350 miles in total with only about 50 offroad. Can well believe that given the condition its in.

Is their anything to adjust on them? Could the pads need changing? Or have they not even bedded in properly yet :lol:
Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    if the lever feels spongy then a bleed is needed

if that doesn't fix it, then the pads could be contaminated in which case they'll need changed. how worn do the pads look (how much material is left on them looking from the side)?

Also, check the disc, if the brakes have been overheated (perhaps the previous owner tried a DH course and dragged his brakes) then the braking surface of the disc may look black and shiny, as the metal has been annealed. This will affect breaking. Take a piece of emery cloth and sand the breaking surface, should come up as good as new.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • mac_man
    Cheers

Will check the above points.

How easy is bleeding the brakes? There's a 'how to' in the manual showing syringes and stuff (I think). Will I need some new oil?
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

• _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Tolerances in the brake
    different wheels
    tyres brake mounts
    bedding in time
    bad condition
    disc condition
    there is a long list of possibilities
    But the points given above are the best to check first
    Not really active
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    for bleeding you will need the correct kit and a bottle of brake fluid (not sure what yours use, either DOT 5.1 or mineral oil ... probably DOT) The kit will come with instructions, but there are some youtube vids that maybe usefull and no doubt Park tools will have some advice (actually, I'm not sure about that as I don't think they do bleed kits but still worth a look)

however, tbh it's quite messy and can be easy to get wrong so unless you really want to do it yourself, there's no shame in paying your LBS to do it for you. At least get a quote from them. I now bleed my own brakes but made a mess of it the first few times.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Maxticate
    Maxticate Posts: 193
    Tektro Auriga Comps use mineral oil as brake fluid.
  • mac_man
    LBS have quoted £20 to bleed both brakes. price incl the new oil.

no idea if that's a good price or not.

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    mac man wrote:
    LBS have quoted £20 to bleed both brakes. price incl the new oil.

no idea if that's a good price or not.

Yes that is a good price.

I would say that pads are the most likely issue though, either different compounds or one set is contaminated etc.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs