difficult west to east lat 53

geoffnelder
geoffnelder Posts: 165
edited October 2009 in Tour & expedition
Amazing how tricky it is up in the north midlands to travel west to esst whether you are a driver or cyclist. I don't just mean the gradients of the Pennines but the lack of routes. Most traffic-free routes seem to be N-S up here. So when my son asked if he could have my old Dawes Super Galaxy, now I have a new one, I jumped at the chance to find and cycle a Chester to Nottingham route.

Details are in my blog at http://geoffnelder.wordpress.com/ along with a photo of Ilam Hall youth hostel at which I stayed enroute. Unlike most hostels that one failed to provide a cycle store in spite of its refurbishment last winter. Amazing oversight. I had to lock my bike up in the recycle storie instead! I worried that if the bin men came too early yesterday my son's bike would have gone with the empty stellas.

The embarrassed receptionist and warden promised there would be a cycle store next time I arrived. I hope so, the hostel is in the beautiful Dove Dale - great for using legs for non-rotational activity, hiking in the limestone valley.

My route involved four National cycle routes but the last three only for short stretches; Cheshire Cycle Trail, Route 5, 55 and the Tissington Trail. Otherwise I found few alternatives but to use main roads. Luckily they were quiet.

I know some of you won't like this but I used my rear flashing light while on the main roads. I definetly feel the traffic keep farther from me when I do.