Doping-stoppers

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2009 in Pro race
The UK Anti Doping agency are opening a hotline in December so you can anonymously provide information about athletes cheating.

Odd.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:
    The UK Anti Doping agency are opening a hotline in December so you can anonymously provide information about athletes cheating.

Odd.

surely would be good in Europe...the riders who don't want to dope can say what they think, or dopers can explain it but without the media coverage rather than via the plea bargains which on a cost benefit analysis are perhaps as damaging as they are good e.g. wouldn't it be better if Columbia was additional to rather than a replacement of T Mobile...? twice the number of places
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:

Odd.

Odd is not the word for it. Can of worms, I'd say. Maybe a barrel of them. Way to many questions are running through my mind on how that would actually WORK. Although WORK may not be the right word. I can think of a million ways in which it wouldn't work.
    Who comes up with these scatterbrained ideas???? :roll: :roll: Sounds like someone trying to justify their job or at the very least create a whole new bureaucracy.
  • dave_1
    dennisn wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Odd.

Odd is not the word for it. Can of worms, I'd say. Maybe a barrel of them. Way to many questions are running through my mind on how that would actually WORK. Although WORK may not be the right word. I can think of a million ways in which it wouldn't work.
    Who comes up with these scatterbrained ideas???? :roll: :roll: Sounds like someone trying to justify their job or at the very least create a whole new bureaucracy.

would keep investigations behind the scenes a little until facts are established, better than media led invesitgations?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Dave_1 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Odd.

would keep investigations behind the scenes a little until facts are established, better than media led invesitgations?

At least media-led investigations are bound by the laws of libel. Whistleblowing would be no better controlled than internet speculation.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Dave_1 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Odd.

With all the people out there who could(and would) make a crank call or two, the agency would have to hire hundreds of investigators just to sort out the calls and try to decide
    what deserves attention and what's just plain BS. And that's just for starters. I could go on and on about what's wrong with this IDEA.
  • Can we expect a rash of phone calls from people off this forum shouting "Lance Armstrong*" down the phone come December?

*or Alejandro Valverde if you want to go all continental on us
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Do they leave by the back door or the front if caught?
    If they can't catch the majority dopers anyhow; how will they be caught?
    It could all get a bit like The Bourne Identity...

A man on the inside goes ferel and he is a man on the run; he doesn't know if he's the hunter or the hunted. Too many questions and not enough answers?
    -"You b*st*rd! I knew it was you all along; I knew I couldn't trust you...take that you...Americano..."
    "Screw you...Pisterolo!!"
    "Yes Officer we found him gagged and bound by two inner tubes and a bottle placed where there should only be Chamois cream!"
    "God damn, Officer! Quick! We found a Yellow Jersey here with a single word scawled across it; the letters are... M... I... N... E..."
    " I wonder who the crazy son of a bitch did this...."
    :D

It's all entertainment folks!!
    -Jerry

PS- Don't worry, I'll be back to work soon as my broken arm is mending fine.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    I think it might work, if used along the same lines as Police hotlines*. But this requires a big operation to work through the 'intelligence'....depends the resources available.

*I know some people might be skeptical but they do work when used properly :wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Does anyone have the number? I've got a hockey match on Saturday, and if I could put the opposition's centre midfielder out of action on some spurious doping charge, we'll win easily.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    Does anyone have the number? I've got a hockey match* on Saturday, and if I could put the opposition's centre midfielder out of action on some spurious doping charge, we'll win easily.

Yes, very good :roll:

Seriously, I reckon it could work if given the right resources.

<* are you a woman :lol: >
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Noodley wrote:
    [
    are you a woman :lol: >

No. I'm a goalkeeper, and I'll offer you the same challenge I do to anyone who says that. Stand in front of our 1st team doing their training drills, hiiting the ball at 80-90mph at you from 15 yards maximum. If you last a minute without bottling it, then you can call it a girl's game.

(I know you're only kidding really)

They also had a phone in one Radio 5 recently, looking for a sport which doesn't have cheating, and hockey was the one they settled on (along with golf - and I'm not sure there isn't doping there)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dave_1
    a certain top rider has had a really quiet season, claimed ill and was not around for 6 months nearly....was a better way to deal with it than claiming he was + cause of suspect blood results? non?

Dennis, to be fair we believe every word Kohl, Jaksche, Sinkewtiz say. Also, surely there would be punishment for anyone suspected of abusing anonymity too much? even if it was used simply to tell us what method is being used but without anyone going after the rider beyond increased target testing, surely that would be good?
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Not sure whether UCI can be trusted these days with the recent accusations.
    I think Pat McQuaid might suddenly get hard of hearing if someone phones up when one of Johan's riders gets the nod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pat_McQuaid_with_Johan_Bruyneel.jpg

The conversation might go-
    "I thought I heard one of your riders has been accused Johan" Pat
    "None of my riders have been accused Pat..."Johan
    "No, your right, none of your riders have been accused Johan... I'm such a chump for Jedi mind tricks, that Johan, he gets me every time!" Pat.

-Jerry

PS- I think WADA should step up or the cops in whatever country the rider lives in.
    I think the cops have kicked in the doors of VDB (poor chap), David Millar, Boonen's parents have been visited plus the Team buses and Hotels have been raided. I think it's a Police matter anyway and often wondered why sports people are exempt from the Law for possession of drugs.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I suspect this is part of the bid to search athletes rooms in 2012. At the moment they are being asked to give permission for their rooms to be randomly searched. Which they are not happy about. This could be the fall back position of only searching when they have "reasonable" suspicion? Or at least making it look like a tip off, to some minds a hot line may carry more weight than "a guy on bikeradar said..."
  • Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    Slightly running at a tangent but still linked to anti-doping and the public...

Seeing this has reminded me about bikepure.org. Has anyone donated to this? What's people's opinions of it?
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.