Top gear slippage

exlabman
exlabman Posts: 2
edited October 2009 in The workshop
Hi, newbie here, first time post.

I have a raleigh activator II (yes I know it's old but hardly used) which I have recently tried to blow the cobwebs off.
First trip out the chain snapped, so off to halfords for a new one.
While fitting I cleaned and lubed the gears, derailer thingies etc.
Next trip out the chain slips in top rear gear (makes no difference which front cog I use) so I trawled the net and found a guide of how to adjust and set up the gears using the H&L screws (schimano index linked gears). The gear change was now perfect while cranked by hand, once out on the road it slipped again immediately.

It doesn't seem to make noise like it is trying to change gear it just seems to jump, but because it only does it under peddling pressure I can't see what is happening. It does it all the time not just sometimes.

I know the bike is old but I used to use it to commute and haven't even gone through a set of tyres yet. I put the chain down to neglect as I haven't used it for about 5 years. It is in good condition, surface rust on derailers only, sprocket teeth look fine (not pointy and worn).

I can't seem to find an old school bike shop nearby to find out what is wrong and if it is worth trying to fix it or start again. I get the feeling that the big flash shops will just throw new parts at it till it's fixed (like car dealers do these days).

Help!

Thanks
D

Comments

• shefbiker
    shefbiker Posts: 255
    how worn is the cassette? this normally happens when you try to run a new chain with a worn cassette that hasn't worn 'with' the cassette...

it may be worth a new cassette given they're pretty cheap and quick to change...
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    I have the same problem on my Gt MTB. I too started getting it after replacing the chain but tried to get away with leaving the old cassette on. I wasn't sure if it was a worn cassette or faulty freewheel. I have left it be as I only really use this bike to take the kids out around the woods etc and it doesn't get put under too much pressure.
    Let us know how you get on if you replace it.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    sounds like a new cassette as well..

When i replaced the chain on my commuter it slipped evry couple of turns and when i looked at the cassette it was knackered.

new chain+ cassette and it felt like a new bike
    FCN 3/5/9