trek bikes positive

warthog562
warthog562 Posts: 40
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
hey guys I'm fairly new to posting but have been reading for a while

what I wanted to post was my recent luck from trek and thought they deserved some good press from it.

recently my 13 month old trek 7.5 fx frame cracked where the seat pole meets the bottom bracket. not particurly good but trek honoured their warrenty and said they would replace the frame (a big thanks to tri-sports in letchworth for their help).

long story reasonably short the frame they came up with was the 7.9 fx full carbon frame to replace the aluminium frame I had. a nice little upgrade I am quite happy with!
trek 7.9fx with mudgaurds (Thanks terk for warrenty freebie)

kona kula

mtbr come commuter

Comments

• mrbodly
    mrbodly Posts: 33
    Wow nice one mate. I have exactly the same bike and mine has cracked in exactly the same spot. Bought it end of Jan last year. Going to take it back to the LBS tomorrow, hope I have the same luck as you!!

Was yours a 2009 model (ie. White Duotone or Satin Nickel)?

Also did you swap the parts over yourself or did you LBS do it?
  • mrbodly wrote:
    Wow nice one mate. I have exactly the same bike and mine has cracked in exactly the same spot. Bought it end of Jan last year. Going to take it back to the LBS tomorrow, hope I have the same luck as you!!
    Trek are normally pretty good about this as long as your (or the LBS) can produce the receipt for the bike.
    mrbodly wrote:
    Also did you swap the parts over yourself or did you LBS do it?
    Well I've had 2x Trek Fuel frames (including an upgrade to a Top Fuel after then second) down to frame breakages and in all cases the LBS did all the part swapping including replacing things that wouldn't fit on the new frame with modern equivalent spec components. Only time I ever paid for anything was when I got them to fit a new fork while they had it apart. ;)

Mike
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    EH? Trek good with breakage replacements?
    Surely - Don't call me Shirley - they shouldn't be breaking in the first place???

Bad quality control, poor design or research testing problems seem to responsible.
    With one of the biggest bike companies in the World, this is quite worrying.

I was "thinking" of a EX 9 later this year, not so sure now.
  • Splottboy
    Just re-read it... PAID THEM TO FIT A FORK?! R U NUTS?! I think the mark-up on bike bits is high enuff already, so, if they don't do it Gratis/Free, go else where.

It's not as if bike mechs are working 24 - 7 - 365.25.

They're always talking about riding, new bike bits they are planning to get "huge discounts" on or sipping tea, LOL!!! ( I can feel the pedal spanners flying my way as I speak...)

Rant over...for now.
  • very good customer relations from trek, good to see a company actually caring for the end user after the sale of the product. nice little upgrade too

abit concerned though, is this a common fault?
  • Splottboy wrote:
    Just re-read it... PAID THEM TO FIT A FORK?! R U NUTS?! I think the mark-up on bike bits is high enuff already, so, if they don't do it Gratis/Free, go else where.

It was only about 10 quid. Thought that was worth it given the hassle of getting the crown race off the old fork and putting it on the new one. Would have cost me more than that in tools. You are also assuming I'd got the fork from them in the first place.

Mike
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    I agree - they shouldn't be breaking in the first place.

I've had two aluminium Trek 8500s and they both cracked in exactly the same place (around the bottom bracket). The frames were replaced but it took about 3 - 4 weeks, which is 3 - 4 weeks without a bike. This apparently, is a weakness that is known.

Maybe something not quite right in the manufacture - overheating?
  • Just spoken to my LBS this morning and having seen the photo's of the cracked frame Trek have agreed to upgrade my aluminium frame to the full carbon model!! Woohoo!

Only downside is LBS are charging £95 to swap the parts over and wouldn't allow me to do it myself as apparently it would void the warranty. Feel a tiny bit miffed being a tad out of pocket through no fault of my own.

Guess I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth as £95 isn't a bad price for a full carbon upgrade!!

Just thought I'd share the good news!
  • is this the shop you bought the bike from????
    are they a trek dealer????
    very strange
    you are the original owner right?
    talk directly to trek and ask for advice
    if trek accepts liability for the damaged frame - very weird that you have to pay for the stripping and rebuild of the bike
  • I am the original owner.
    They are the shop I originally bought the bike from.
    They are a Trek dealer.

The bike is just over a year old so the frame is being replaced under the Trek lifetime warranty, just checked the Trek website and the warranty does not include the cost of swapping parts over. :(
  • Splottboy
    Take a nice jug with you, full of urine, as this will stop them taking the piss!!!!
    95 big ones for swapping bits over, on a Warranty?!

Where did you take the bike to, "Taking-the-piss-R-Us"...

If you're offered an UPGRADE, that's their choice, but I wouldn't pay the £95.
    I'd go to Trading Standards to be honest, as it seems that they aren't, being honest that is.

With the amount/volume and mark-up for profit that is being made, it's probably only a few quids difference between the alu and carbon frame, with regards to Treks figures.
    They can give bikes away to "racers" journalists and celebs doing things for "Charidee", then you come along as an honest Punter, and they take the mick, Big Time!
  • Hmmmm...must admit it has soured things.

The way I see it, I buy a Trek a year later the frame cracks and my LBS expect me to be out of pocket over it, p!ss poor customer service!!

Don't get me wrong the carbon upgrade is great but that is a reflection of the fact that it is completely unacceptable and p!ss poor for a frame to fail after a year!
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I have to say I have nothing but praise for Trek and my LBS after my bike developed a few teething problems after a couple months of it.

Now I'm not a light person, but I am by no means a heavyweight, but after a couple months the seat post on my Trek 7.5 started to warp, so took it back to my LBS who replaced it with one the same, a month later the same thing happened. The LBS send both to Trek to have a look over. I get a new upgraded seatpost back from them along with a letter of apology. No problems since :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I had a pair of bontrager shoes and one of the straps snapped after around 6 months. took back to shop, within 3 days had brand new pair, trek even said it was prob me pulling strap to hard which i admit i do but still got new upgraded model aswell :)
  • Hi guys,

I cracked a Trek Fuel 90 2006 last month. Trek agreed to upgrade my bike for the new Top Fuel 8 2010. Woohoo!

The new frame has arrived to the Trek Dealer this week, without the headset. My doubt is about the charging of the new headset, because my actual frame has a different one and not compatible. I think it would be included in Warranty, without any charge. I will contact Trek about this situation. What's your opinion about this situation?
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    My (co-op) LBS only deals with Trek and Marin ( + a few fringe manufacturers ), he say's it's because they are the only ones that give him decent support , the rest are a bunch of (insert expletive here) . :wink:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Just spoken to Consumer Direct, they've told me that the LBS are liable for any manufacturing defects in the bike up to 6 years after purchase and that under no circumstances should I be out of pocket over this.

Good to know my legal standing.

When I collect the bike I'll have a reasoned chat with them about the fee, I'm sure all will be well. Just good to know my rights should I need to state them.
  • Just been to the LBS to pick up my Trek. The new black carbon frame looks superb but they have fitted the forks off the old damaged frame which are white!! Looks really odd, don't know if I can do anything about that except buy a new black carbon fork.

I refused to pay the labour charge of £100. Reasoned with them but got nowhere so left without the bike.

Going to write them a letter stating my rights under the sales of goods act etc etc and await a response.

Shame really, because I've had no issues with them in the past and despite the odd looking fork arrangement (not their fault, Trek only supplied a replacement frame) they've otherwise done a great job!!
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    mrbodly wrote:
    Just been to the LBS to pick up my Trek. The new black carbon frame looks superb but they have fitted the forks off the old damaged frame which are white!! Looks really odd, don't know if I can do anything about that except buy a new black carbon fork.

I refused to pay the labour charge of £100. Reasoned with them but got nowhere so left without the bike.

Going to write them a letter stating my rights under the sales of goods act etc etc and await a response.

Shame really, because I've had no issues with them in the past and despite the odd looking fork arrangement (not their fault, Trek only supplied a replacement frame) they've otherwise done a great job!!

I would contact Trek as well, Trek won't be happy how their distributors are treating customers of their products.

I think you will find it will be resolved very quickly.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    I wouldn't be best pleased about that. :evil:
    I wouldn't be too bothered about the odd forks, but then I am never too fussed about looks and it makes it distinctive. (hopefully less nickable?)
    Getting a duff bike and then being 3 weeks and counting without a bike then being told I can't have my own bike back would probably have resulted in me simply taking it out of the shop. (unless the sales assistant was the size of a gorilla!) Not sure what the legal implication would have been but assuming they have your address and it is your bike, I doubt it would be theft. Simply a civil matter for them to pursue. :?:
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I ride Trek bikes, and have to say there customer service is fantastic. My old 3500 commuter (10,000 miles of London streets) cracked, and they replaced it no questions. Cannot get better than that.

Since then, I have bought another Trek, and when my GF requires a new one, I expect that will also be a Trek.

If you have had any problems, give them call in Milton Keynes, they are always helpful.
  • Cheers guys. Going to give Trek a call tomorrow and see what they have to say and take it from there.
  • I have had my bike back for some time now and it has been great the carbon framed was fitted out by the shop ( tri-sports in letchworth) and the only thing I was out of pocket for was the front derailur (20 pounds).

the fork was replaced along with the frame. there is now flex in the bottom bracket any more. I have actually ended up putting some black and reflective mudguards on, which has had the effect of making it look far more plain and less attractive to certain nasty people.

I must say I would have told them to go jump if they charged me a hundred pounds because the bike is under warrenty.

the bike will certinly do some miles over summer but has done about 400 since oct.
    trek 7.9fx with mudgaurds (Thanks terk for warrenty freebie)

kona kula

mtbr come commuter
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    I too have good experience with Trek service. My 2005 Madone 5.2 frame (bought in 2006, done well over 20000 km) developed a crack in the right rear dropout; I took it to my LBS and Trek replaced the dropout under warranty and I had the frame back in four days' time!

P.S. I really don't want to know how they unglued the dropout from a carbon fibre frame and glued the new one in :shock:
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • I can vouch for Trek too. They are a company that really undertsand customer relationships, and they make very good bikes.