Mavic XM 819 Disc on Hope Pro 2

physiosteve
physiosteve Posts: 194
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Anyone got any experience of these...?
Cant find a review on them, was wondering how they compare to 5.1D's laced into same hubs
Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i had a set, they were very cool but the sound of the hub was ridiculous, was like a bag of metal falling down the stairs.

They were very tough though and at 1900g not too heavy i suppose but to be honest, for the weight, strength ratio, id buy crossrides for a whole lot less money.
  • I upgraded to the 819's when I bought my 5 last year simply because the wheels were stronger, so far (touch wood) no problems with rims or hubs and given the way I have humped them on some red, black and orange runs I'm quite impressed :)
  • Have these on my 5 and I can't fault them, there standing up well to a load of abuse

The only downside is the noise of the Hope rear hub which takes some getting use to but it does have the advantage of being loud enough to get walkers to notice your coming so that they move to one side of the path rather than using all of it.
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    My mate has 819's but on XT hubs - another mate has 5.1's on Pro II's (Hoops). Both are fine wheelsets. The Mavic's get my vote though as they're UST.

I also agree with Sheepsteeth that Pro II hubs sound ridiculous!
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    I run 719s with Pro 2 and they are fine. They roll really well and yes there is quite a buzz from the rear hub, but you get used to it its fine.

Have taken lots of abuse so far and stood up to it well - I seem to be able to freewheel forever once I get some speed up.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    I have 819s on ProIIs.

I bought them 2 years ago. I weigh 15 stone. I've ridden them in the Alps, Chickie, various DH courses and all the usual trail centre stuff and they have needed no attention at all.

They work really well in terms of size and weight with Maxxis 2.1 and 2.35 LUST tyres, of which there are loads of patterns to choose.

As posted above, the free-wheel is loud but it doesn't bother me.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I love the noise of the Pro II, makes them sound very mechanical! :)
    Craig Rogers
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    yeah, you can't not like pro 2s beacuse of the noise. they are great hubs!
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • Thanks for replies fellas, I hae sum 5.1d's on pro II's and some 4.2 on Pro III's, i dnt mind the free hub sound at all was more curious as to wot ppl thought of the mavic 819 rims
    espesh since they r bit lighter than my 5.1s which i rate highly and sound just as strong
    Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Another thumbs-up for 819's, bullet-proof rims, not too heavy, and UST. Cost a bit, but well worth it in my opinion!