Piedmont *spoiler*

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2009 in Pro race
Gilbert

3 from 3
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    He's on form. Saturday is probably too hard for him though, but it gives Silence-Lotto a wildcard to play.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Gilbert is amazing. What a rider.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He's a very classy rider and able to operate on a range of terrains. His 2008 Het Volk win was very impressive, he held the bunch off solo for 50km.

He's also outspoken on doping and deliberately opted for ride for FDJ because he wanted a clean "nursery" to begin his pro career.

Still only 27. I expect him to be up there for Flanders next year.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Kléber wrote:
    He's a very classy rider and able to operate on a range of terrains. His 2008 Het Volk win was very impressive, he held the bunch off solo for 50km.

He's also outspoken on doping and deliberately opted for ride for FDJ because he wanted a clean "nursery" to begin his pro career.

...before moving for the big bucks that only a bunch of dopers could provide :?: :wink:

I agree though, my fave rider.

Strava is not Zen.
  • frenchfighter
    It was close:
    pic68835477_600.jpg
    I think he has the most tanned legs in the peloton!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He lives in Monaco and trains a lot. He had a skin cancer melanoma removed in 2007.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    It was close:
    pic68835477_600.jpg
    I think he has the most tanned legs in the peloton!

2 years ago when he came down for the Tour Down Under he was the most tanned then too - even beating the locals.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Presumably he is the most tanned because he races on his own so much, out of the shadows in the bunch.
    :)
    Half man, Half bike
  • frenchfighter
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Presumably he is the most tanned because he races on his own so much, out of the shadows in the bunch.
    :)

LOL. Allez Gilbert, attacing riders are my favourites.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    I think this is superb:

pt09-group.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turned out to be a very "end of term race".
    Cold, but sunny conditions. Solitary breakaway left 10 minutes up the road, while the peloton chatted and rode tranquilo. Evans chatting to Scarponi, Samu swanning about on the back.
    One became two, but were caught. 6 riders across the road, as the pace once again slowed.
    Not even the calves, made an effort.
    Last 5kms, Vacansoleil took it up, seemingly for Gibert and launched him up the final climb.
    Only a few riders bothered to chase.
    Caught by Sky's Caisse signing, Danny Moreno, but PG can sprint.
    The end.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Turned out to be a very "end of term race".
    Cold, but sunny conditions. Solitary breakaway left 10 minutes up the road, while the peloton chatted and rode tranquilo. Evans chatting to Scarponi, Samu swanning about on the back.
    One became two, but were caught. 6 riders across the road, as the pace once again slowed.
    Not even the calves, made an effort.
    Last 5kms, Vacansoleil took it up, seemingly for Gibert and launched him up the final climb.
    Only a few riders bothered to chase.
    Caught by Sky's Caisse signing, Danny Moreno, but PG can sprint.
    The end.

Doesnt seem that long ago Gilbert was labelled as being not that great for doomed 30km breaks during the Vuelta. A few weeks later and here we are three in a row to go with last years Paris-Tours.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • No one seems able to match his kick on these short, finishing climbs and he's got the sprint to finish things off, from a small group.
    He and Cadel have certainly turned around Lotto's disasterous season, in the past month or so.
    Well, at least to a large extent.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    He's on form. Saturday is probably too hard for him though, but it gives Silence-Lotto a wildcard to play.

I wonder in andyp picked him in his secret choice...

:wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.