Entry only Process for L'Etap du Tour

Sudor
Sudor Posts: 33
Hi

Help!

With the Etap route announced yesterday and discovering no "Entry only" Etap places available (save those on sale on the back of "official agents other costly packages) I'm looking for advice on the process of direct application for 2010 Etap places. The Etap website mentions postal entries via the French "Velo Magazine" and other countries via official agents (STI etc). Can anyone advise how to reliably apply direct as I prefer to organize my own trip and logistics.? Thanks - Sudor

Comments

• hey,
    try cyclomundo
    http://www.cyclomundo.com/etape_du_tour.html

i secured my entry only place yesterday.
    after entering you're name and email address they'll email you and ask for payment to confirm.
    Music and Bikes and Alligators
    http://www.richsemple.wordpress.com
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    €220 entry only.

Sweet Jesus, that is disgraceful.
  • Sudor, you can't be trying very hard. French Cycling Holidays and Cyclomundo had places as of this morning, no tie-ins.

Yorkman, ASO are charging agencies €150. Cyclomundo have to take VAT and credit card charges out of that €220, doesn't leave such a big profit.
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Haven't done the Etape since 2006 so thought about doing it again next year. I'm staying down that way, always bring the bikes so why not.

At 220 euros, ticket only, you got to be bonkers........ :!: That's £200!
    Paul
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Sudor, you can't be trying very hard. French Cycling Holidays and Cyclomundo had places as of this morning, no tie-ins.

Yorkman, ASO are charging agencies €150. Cyclomundo have to take VAT and credit card charges out of that €220, doesn't leave such a big profit.

70 Euro profit for being effectively a ticket agency with minimal if any overheads?

Not bad work if you can get it.
  • Sudor
    Dear Posters

Thanks for your responses and advice - I'm awaiting clarification from Cyclomundo as to whether they actually have entry only places as their pre registration response email seeks to sell other packages on basis that - they've "probably" allocated all of their entry only places .

French Cycling Holidays offering entry only at £190 each - no info on availability until I get a response.

Yes it's painful to part with £200 however the event is iconic and looking at previous etap participants comments one does not get the feeling that the cost is an issue - for many of us it holds the potential of a memorable event. Thanks again Sudor
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    I did it in 2004,2005 and 2006. If my memory serves me right the entry fee in 2004 was £35.

If you haven't done an etape before and you are keen to do one then I would always tell someone to do it. After 3 years I got fed up with the early start, the transfers, the wheel huggers, the manic food stops and the fact they run out of water in 2006. On the plus side the closed roads, crowds and atmosphere are awesome.
    Paul
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    Is there any cure for Etape addiction? I think I may be a sufferer. The thought of July without it (and all the ancillary fun - including in 2010 seeing the pros on Luchon-Pau 2 days later) I can't contemplate!
  • 220euro's is pretty outrageous, but as this will be my first ever Etape i think i can justify it, as its something ill remember for the rest of my life.
    i really can't wait!!
    Music and Bikes and Alligators
    http://www.richsemple.wordpress.com
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I think you'd get the same memories if you rode the Quebrantahuesos, Ariegeoise, Pyreneene or the Hubert Arbes. All have excellent routes and support, along with a more friendly vibe. On the negative side you don't get fully closed roads but descents are often closed to traffic.

But it's a personal choice, it depends if you're the sort who'd pay £10 for a plain t-shirt or £100 for a Gucci t-shirt, if you believe the Gucci version offers something extra.

I'd recommend people try one of these events before the Etape or at least get themselves down to the mountains once before to check out the terrain, especially if you're a heavier ride.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Kleber - when you did quebrantahuesos, where did you stay?
  • Kléber
    With a friend near Lourdes, which meant somewhere free to stay and good company but a bit of a drive.

Lourdes has plenty of places to stay but so do many places in Spain, Pamplona is not far away, same for Sabinanigo or Huesca. But I preferred the French side as it was easier transport-wise if you fly to Toulouse or drive down.
  • Sudor
    Kleber

My various applications for 2010 L'Etap only entry have drawn a blank - the Quebrantahuesos looks like a great (better) alternative event and has very positive feedback from posters who have also completed the L'Etap. Can you share any tips on application process (if known) and/or accommodation? this would be much appreciated. Quebrantahuesos website seems quiet at the moment with pre registration due sometime in November. Sodor
  • Kléber
    Yes, there's no rush now. Certainly a couple of years ago you could enter in advance or at any time up and until the event. I'd ask others, perhaps start a new thread on the event or search for past experiences on here.
  • Sudor
    Kleber and others

Thanks for comments - as of last night have secured two entry only places for the Etap so accommodation near start and finish next on list of things to do. Suggestions welcome from anyone. Negotiations commencing with TOH on QBH trip also for 2010! - Vamos Sudor!
  • Kléber
    You'll find the mainstream hotels are booked up pronto. So think about a nice B&B, you'll get a good welcome:
    http://www.chambresdhotesfrance.com/
    http://www.chambres-hotes-france.org/

Over to you for the logistics of working out how to get to the start or back from the finish.
  • Sudor
    K;eber

Thanks, quite agree - in my time I've cumulatively spent about 8 weeks cycling on spec from one ChDH to another in Provence and most offered something much more interesting (atmosphere, creature comforts and finesse) than the average 4* hotel. - Sudor
  • Sudor, how did you arrange it in the end? And what did you end up paying?
  • Sudor
    hi
    french cyling holidays 380 for two slots last tuesday eed to try several as some are still organsing their offers - sudor