How to carry a shirt?

BigSpecs
BigSpecs Posts: 309
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Is it possible to carry a formal shirt...to work...on a bike...without it turning into a crumpled, non-ironed mess by the time you arrive? If so, how...?

Cheers,
Col.

Comments

• Roll it up, works so much better than folding it. Works just as well when travelling too.
  • Tony Mc
    Tony Mc Posts: 180
    Roll it up, works so much better than folding it. Works just as well when travelling too.

+1 roll loosley
    Getting there
  • dresbo
    dresbo Posts: 129
    I always Iron mine before I leave, put it in my bag folded (in half along buttons, sleeves in then vertically in half) but by the time I get to work it's always creased.

Then I discovered M&S Easy Iron shirts. Still nice cotton, but really hard to crease. I can sometimes get away without ironing them at all.

Now all I have to get is easy iron trousers!
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    dresbo wrote:
    I always Iron mine before I leave, put it in my bag folded (in half along buttons, sleeves in then vertically in half) but by the time I get to work it's always creased.

Then I discovered M&S Easy Iron shirts. Still nice cotton, but really hard to crease. I can sometimes get away without ironing them at all.

M&S easy iron/non iron shirts are a god send. Got one on today - straight out of the washig machine, hang it up and ready to wear.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Fold it loosely and place inside a supermarket carrier bag - seems to stop any serious creases somehow. I do it every day and shirts are always pretty much crease free.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Roll it up, works so much better than folding it. Works just as well when travelling too.

+1, I do that EVERY day
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    +whatever we're up to on rolling, people are always amazed that i can get shirts to work not creased.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I just have mine dry cleaned and keep them at work. Sooo much better than ironing! There are ways you can fold them though, try youtube.

If you want a great crease free shirt that is actually nice then try Eton shirts.

http://www.etonshirts.co.uk/ They have a shop in London.
  • Sewinman wrote:
    If you want a great crease free shirt that is actually nice then try Eton shirts.

http://www.etonshirts.co.uk/ They have a shop in London.

I can't buy off the peg shirts at all, so have them made to measure by a company in Thailand. I have a pretty thick neck, which means that I would have to be a rather rotund chap to even fit the slim-fit shirts. I'm not, so they look like I'm wearing a parachute.

FWIW: http://www.ravistailor.com/
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Bikequin wrote:
    dresbo wrote:

M&S easy iron/non iron shirts are a god send. Got one on today - straight out of the washig machine, hang it up and ready to wear.

I love M&S non iron shirts, thrown them in the rucksack, cycle in, pull 'em out at the other end, hang them in the shower room whilst you shower and they're perfect. Also the extra long sleeve and body versions are the perfect fit for me - my arms and body are too long for standard length shirts.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Maybe I'm nit-picking, but doesn't cycling to work count as travelling?

+1 to easy iron shirts (whether travelling or not...)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • BigSpecs
    BigSpecs Posts: 309
    Thanks guys. Will try the rolling thing. I usually have them ironed at a shop around the corner from work, so don't need to worry. However, there have been a couple of days recently when I have been caught short and had to bring one from home. Shirt+small camelback=crumples. I have one of those M&S bad boys somewhere though. WIll need to give that a go...

Cheers,
    Col.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Fold it carefully and then roll loosely and put into carrier bag. If you're taking clean underwear too, as one would hope, then putting that in the middle of the roll helps. It doesn't have to be too tight (can look like a horseshoe rather than a swiss-roll when viewed from the side, if you see what I mean). Supermarket carriers are then the perfect size to keep it loosely rolled en route. Obviously you don't then stuff it into a tiny rucksack..... You can do similar with suit trousers if you need to, but I've yet to find a way of transporting a jacket without turning it into a rag!
  • Big Ted
    Big Ted Posts: 330
    oh dear, my eyesight is getting worse and my mind a quagmire as i get older, when i read the title of this thread i thought it was about having to leave for work early on the bike, after a night of beer and curry and then have to ride until you got to work and could finally visit the toilet.

I must get out more.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Big Ted Rides Hard...
  • Big Ted
    Just checked my response with Mrs BT, she thought the same when she read it

TFFT.

Ted
    Big Ted Rides Hard...
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Big Ted wrote:
    oh dear, my eyesight is getting worse and my mind a quagmire as i get older, when i read the title of this thread i thought it was about having to leave for work early on the bike, after a night of beer and curry and then have to ride until you got to work and could finally visit the toilet.

I must get out more.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
    i have this issue most mornings...
  • Clever Pun wrote:

Yup, me too, except I fold both sleeves as he folds the second sleeve. And then put it into a thick placcy bag. Runners World do bags that last for years.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Big Ted
    Greg66 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Yup, me too, except I fold both sleeves as he folds the second sleeve. And then put it into a thick placcy bag. Runners World do bags that last for years.

There was a time you could come on here, and with one litle bit of toilet humour, send a thread totally off topic....

What is the world coming too......i blame the schools. :evil: :lol:
    Big Ted Rides Hard...
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    I use one of these - fits inside a rucksac or a pannier and keeps shirt and trousers folded and clean. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QywORynR ... r_embedded
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • coffeecup
    coffeecup Posts: 128
    The Eagle Creek is the way forward. I've a couple of them and use them all the time

The 18" version is bestfor a week's worth of shirts but you'll need to check that it fits in your bag. There's a smaller 15" if it doesn't, but I think this is only really good for 2 or 3 shirts.

Top tip - put the folder in a carrier bag as well in case it rains. Getting 5 shirts wet at once can really spoil your week!!!
    Time you've enjoyed wasting, hasn't been wasted

Bianchi L'Una, Bianchi 928 C2C 105, Dahon MU SL
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Epic thread resurrection.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Mista Tee wrote:
    Hi guys,

I recommend you try out the eton shirts. What I realised is it doesn't matter how you carry them or how you fold them- once you wear them, the creases disappear within 15 minutes or so...

My wife ordered me 3 shirts from indumenti.se, took a few weeks to come but absolutely amazing shirts!
    £133 for a shirt! Motherf**ker! :shock:

For £133, I'd expect a butler to be cycling behind me carrying an iron and ironing board!

I guess they have to make their money somewhere to get Sébastien Chabal to model their stuff :lol:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Sewinman wrote:
    I just have mine dry cleaned and keep them at work. Sooo much better than ironing!
    +1
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    rubertoe wrote:
    Epic thread resurrection.

With his first post too. Chapeau!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    kelsen wrote:
    £133 for a shirt! Motherf**ker! :shock:

For £133, I'd expect a butler to be cycling behind me carrying an iron and ironing board!

I guess they have to make their money somewhere to get Sébastien Chabal to model their stuff :lol:
    You can't knock him though. Need an audience for some clothing that's way over-priced? Cyclists are your saviour - look no further; a nylon T shirt with pockets for £60? A vaguely waterproof coat that isn't after 30 miles for a shade under 200 quid? Shorts that cost more than an iPad? Step this way sir... £130 for a nice shirt doesn't seem so bad.

Well spammed sir.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Quite why you'd buy your Eton shirts from Sweden though (especially when you can have no end of kitchens from England). I have several Eton shirts (bought in Cambridge) and very nice they are too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH