Home made mud guards

BurtonM
BurtonM Posts: 425
edited October 2009 in MTB general
I know there will be people who have these so, can you post pictures please. I am at point blank refusal to waste any more money on rubbish mud guards like crud catchers. Thos neo guards are what gives biking equipment a bad name. Such a simple design yet so overpriced.
Pics please :)
yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.

Comments

• Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    ok hang on i'm going to the shed now

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Hercule Q
    IMG00360.jpg
    IMG00361.jpg

its a cut up innertube and some zip ties, as the innertube was dead and i had zip ties it cost me nothing and is just as good as a neoguard

pinkbike
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    My mates and I were using old tubes like above for years before Neo Gaurds came out. They work just as well and cost pennies if you've got an old tube lying about (who doesn't)

Only downside we found was using zip ties to fix them destroyed the paint on the fork clamps.
  • Hercule Q
    P-Jay wrote:
    My mates and I were using old tubes like above for years before Neo Gaurds came out. They work just as well and cost pennies if you've got an old tube lying about (who doesn't)

Only downside we found was using zip ties to fix them destroyed the paint on the fork clamps.

thats why i've wrapped the tube around the crown and the zip ties are on the rubber

pinkbike
  • did you stick 2 lengths of inner tube together for that? I tried to make one earlier but it split :x I'm having issues with where my disc brake cable is attached to the top of my fork crown.

did you cut in an elongated H shape? to get it around the fork? It looks like you suick tubes together using a repair kit glue. How did u attach the ends? I can see zip ties but did u glue that as well? my holes just split on an earlier attempt.

I'm planning on covering up the steering tube so that doesn't get gaked up!

Any advice would be welcome :o
  • Hercule Q
    no glue just magic lol

i used a longer piece of tube and folded it around at the top and the bottom so the ties are around the outside of the rubber, the key is to not stress the tube when its fitted otherwise it will split

pinkbike
  • so technically speaking its gotta be slack like yer nan!
  • Hercule Q
    like a half inflated sex doll :lol::lol:

pinkbike
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Kid Cragg wrote:
    so technically speaking its gotta be slack like yer nan!

Thanks for putting such lovely pictures in my head.
  • Hercule Q is there no picture you can't get with that bike :lol:
  • pond liner velcro'd to the fork brace and crown.

33lmhw8.jpg
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    iirc the original design for the crudcatcher involved a 3l coke bottle (empty) cut in half down its length and zip tied to the down tube

the best design for a rear guard I've seen is the decathlon one that bolts to the v-brake studs, thus it doesn't interfere with the seatpost and it stays in place. Plus it's a 8 quid, which I rekon is pretty good vfm
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q is there no picture you can't get with that bike :lol:

the thing is a magical photo machine :lol: just that alone is worth £3k lol :lol:

pinkbike
  • You quite happily spend thousands on a bike but won't stump up less than 15 quid for a mudguard? :roll:
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    iirc the original design for the crudcatcher involved a 3l coke bottle (empty) cut in half down its length and zip tied to the down tube

the best design for a rear guard I've seen is the decathlon one that bolts to the v-brake studs, thus it doesn't interfere with the seatpost and it stays in place. Plus it's a 8 quid, which I rekon is pretty good vfm

except most bikes don't have the mountings anymore :(