Rebound: +/- what does it mean?

JamesBrckmn
JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
On the rebound dial on my suntour XCR's there is a plus and a minus but i have no idea which one does what. Which makes it rebound fast/slower?
Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are you sure it is a rebound dial, and not a preload dial? What model of XCR is it?
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    If it is a rebound dial the + will make the fork rebound slower, more rebound damping and the - will speed up rebound, less damping.

Like Sonic says it's more likely to be a preload adjuster to allow you to set the sag correctly. +, more preload, less sag etc.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • JamesBrckmn
    I don't think it's preload as there's a progressive lockout on the other fork leg, which sort of acts as prload and lockout. Also when i bought it with the bike, in decathlon, i think they said something about rebound
  • supersonic
    You need to find out what it is. Sounds like the Preload dial.
  • KonaKurt
    KonaKurt Posts: 720
    I always wondered who came up with the idea of the 'rabbit' and the 'turtle' logos, on RockShox rebound controls! Interesting choice.

KK.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Good idea though, doesn't need explaining. I have my forks set to Turtle, as I'm a very slow rider, that's how it works right? :lol:

The XCR-DA has abdjustable rebound apparently. Never seen one though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    XCM DA was on some older Krakens.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    My Suntour fork (XCM) is the same. The dial (on the right) is for adjusting the rebound damping, and the dial itself indicates which direction to turn to make it either more "fast" or "slow". The faster the rebound damping, the faster the fork returns to its fully extended state.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    If I'm not wrong:

Right is lockout, left is preload

fork2.jpg

Rebound, click the pictures at the bottom:
    http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/SID=si ... tnid=1639#
  • JamesBrckmn
    my fork is the one in the picture, but without v brake mounts. So if it is preload, what does it do - does it adjust compression?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Preload is used to set the sag.

If you have say a 100mm fork you may decide that you want 25% (25mm in this case) of sag. Sag is the amount the fork compresses under static load with the rider onboard.

You adjust preload until you get the value you desire. If you are unable to get the required sag setting using the preload dial you need to adjust air pressure, in the case of air forks, or get a new spring in the case of coil forks.

Helpful tip for setting sag is to tie a ziptie around one of your fork stanchions so that you can see how much the fork moves when you are just sat on the bike - or if you prefer, standing in a more 'attack' position.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • JamesBrckmn
    Ok
    Thank you for your replies
    I am 43kg (no, i'm not anorexic, i'm 13) so should i have it as far as it goes in the minus direction?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Ok
    Thank you for your replies
    I am 43kg (no, i'm not anorexic, i'm 13) so should i have it as far as it goes in the minus direction?
    Just adjust the dial till you get your desired sag.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.