It's going to be a great 2010 TDF because...

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited October 2009 in Pro race
Andy fully recognizes what it is he needs to improve and this is the first year where he really seems to take this seriously. In past years, it seemed like winning was not quite so important to him, he just wanted to have a good time and ride with his brother (nothing wrong with that) but this year, I think he's finally realizing that as talented as he is, he's going to need to suffer more in the off season to achieve what he wants.
"I'm going for the overall victory next year, but it's clear that (Alberto) Contador is the biggest favorite while Lance (Armstrong) may be more motivated than ever," said Schleck.

"To knock Contador off the top spot is going to take a lot of training and that starts now. I need to progress in time trials, and I'm working hard on doing that. I'm on the ball though and ready to go out there and say that I want to win this year."

I just hope Contador can get out of Astana and we can have:

Contador vs Shleck vs Armstrong vs Wiggins vs Evans vs VandeVelde vs Menchov! Wow.

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I'd put Gesink ahead of Armstrong, Wiggins, VDV and Menchov.

Someone should also invite EZ and Sanchez.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Armstrong knows he's doomed. And Bertie wants to teach him a lesson

As Contador said shortly after seeing the route unveiled in Paris, he won't have anyone telling him not to attack next year. He's been telling people he intends to attack relentlessly in order to crack and humiliate Armstrong

This is a race for Contador, A Schleck, Evans, Basso, Gesink / Menchov.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    iainf72 wrote:

As Contador said shortly after seeing the route unveiled in Paris, he won't have anyone telling him not to attack next year. He's been telling people he intends to attack relentlessly in order to crack and humiliate Armstrong

This is a race for Contador, A Schleck, Basso, Gesink

I think that is the top TDF 4 and possibly in that order. (Basso will want the Giro next year)

I have been worried about all the boring Tempo riding again next year that your quote above has really cheered me up.
    Go Bertie, and if he does that, , then others will be humiliated also.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    iainf72 wrote:

You could not resist could you :lol:

Since when is Basso going to be ripping it up on the climbs if this year is anything to go by?!!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Well, lets hope its great cos this year it was dull as dishwater... about time we had people riding to win it not riding 'not to lose it' again, clear leaders that are the key GC contenders in separate teams has gotta be the best instigator for this to happen of course.

Perhaps if Andy's gonna work so hard in the off season then Contador could work on his personality just as hard too, that'd be nice if we're going to have to see him dominating for a few years IMO!
  • iainf72
    jim one wrote:

Since when is Basso going to be ripping it up on the climbs if this year is anything to go by?!!

He came 4th in 2 grand tours in 1 year.

Bad TT's hurt him in both races so.....
  • I think I'll watch it just for stage 3 :D.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    iainf72 wrote:

Are you joking or do you really believe basso will do better than Armstrong?

Really, i don't know why so many of you are betting against Lance. This year, he was back racing for the first time in almost 4 years, he then broke his collarbone (for the first time) only months prior to the TDF and yet he placed on the podium! Placing 3rd in the TDF is NEVER due to a teammate (Contador in this case) not attacking you, or "helping" you out. If you place 3rd, you beat everyone except 2 other guys in the whole race.

You guys may want Lance to suck, but that doesn't mean he will. I'm not saying he'll beat
    Contador or Schleck, but he's very likely to be one of the guys there at the end.
  • Look at how the race ended up though, LA was blessed with a TTT which gave him some time on a fair few people. Evans had the opposite problem and then had a brain fart and just fell apart. Not a particularly strong field either made it easier for him and Wiggins ( i really doubt he will do aswell next year) Also next year his going to have to try and keep up with Contador and Schleck attacking each other on every climb. I think his going to have a real hard time, particluarly with the lack to TT until stage 20. The Alps coming first does play to his tastes though so you never know.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • iainf72
    donrhummy wrote:
    You guys may want Lance to suck, but that doesn't mean he will. I'm not saying he'll beat
    Contador or Schleck, but he's very likely to be one of the guys there at the end.

He's making a lot of noise about no TTT - Why is that? It's because it's the only place he'd be sure to make up some time.

He lost time on every mountain stage which meant anything this year. He's a year older too. The broken clavicle might have done him a favour because it gave him an excuse not to go for the overall in the Giro

I maintain if Basso has been at the Tour this year he would've displaced Lance or Wiggins from their position.
  • donrhummy wrote:
    Really, i don't know why so many of you are betting against Lance. This year, he was back racing for the first time in almost 4 years, he then broke his collarbone (for the first time) only months prior to the TDF and yet he placed on the podium! Placing 3rd in the TDF is NEVER due to a teammate (Contador in this case) not attacking you, or "helping" you out. If you place 3rd, you beat everyone except 2 other guys in the whole race.

Why not?
    He was better than him for much of the 2005 mountains. Of course, that was before 2006. So with Basso nicely matured and Armstrong more like a mouldy cheese, natural progession should ensure this is, in fact the case.
    No TTT and only one ITT.

Even Lance himself, in yesterday's interview with Eurosport, said he was fighting, "Old Father Time". Yet more training (I don't know where he finds the time) is not the cure for all ailments.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Also next year his going to have to try and keep up with Contador and Schleck attacking each other on every climb. .

Somehow i dont think that will be the case GC contenders never do this no matter how strong they are.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    donrhummy wrote:

Why not?
    He was better than him for much of the 2005 mountains. Of course, that was before 2006. So with Basso nicely matured and Armstrong more like a mouldy cheese, natural progession should ensure this is, in fact the case.
    No TTT and only one ITT.

Even Lance himself, in yesterday's interview with Eurosport, said he was fighting, "Old Father Time". Yet more training (I don't know where he finds the time) is not the cure for all ailments.

He was better than him in the mountains in 2005 ? You must have been watching a differnt race to me then iirc Lance didnt have too much bother in 2005 .Donr makes valid points as much as you want LA to suck and lets face it most do, no getting away from it his performance this year was exceptional sure Basso may beat him next year but Ivan says something along the lines of if he is not as good this year as he was in 2006 we can judge him..........mmmm
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    iainf72 wrote:

Have you got any links for this? Fighting talk somewhat along the lines of what Hinault said before TdF9.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • moray_gub
    iainf72 wrote:

Have you got any links for this? Fighting talk somewhat along the lines of what Hinault said before TdF9.

He would be better keeping his mouth shut and do his talking on the bike where it really counts, comments like that have a habit of coming back and biting you on the ars e.
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

He would be better keeping his mouth shut and do his talking on the bike where it really counts, comments like that have a habit of coming back and biting you on the ars e.

So funny, during the Tour this was exactly what he was doing, letting his legs do the talking. See what happened.

Remember who was lecturing Contador "having lot's learn" from the beginning of the season and even during the Tour?

I'm looking forward to the attacks Contador is this time allowed to do. :D
  • moray_gub
    Arkibal wrote:
    So funny, during the Tour this was exactly what he was doing, letting his legs do the talking. See what happened.
    :D

He should keep doing that when his mouth gets too big thats when the problems start.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Are Contador's comments real? I just see him making modest noises about trying to do his best and not being too preoccupied with others.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Yer....like the "He's still got a learn," comment.
    That certainly came back with a "bite me,"attached. :P
    Moray Gub wrote:
    He should keep doing that when his mouth gets too big thats when the problems start.

What problems?
    He's only responding in kind, to the master of the multiple sound bite.
    LA doesn't seem to have a problem with being continually vocal.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    Everyone said this year was going to be great with AC and LA etc.

It wasn't.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    AH but relentless attacking in the pyrenees, AC not under any orders (with whichever team he rides for). It should be so much better.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • frenchfighter
    Arkibal you said it.

Kleber that is why I asked Iain for a link but he hasn't provided one yet.

See his comments in the thread I posted if anyone thinks Contador is arrogant or attention seeking as this couldn't be further from the truth.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • moray_gub
    Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Moray Gub wrote:

What problems?
    He's only responding in kind, to the master of the multiple sound bite.
    LA doesn't seem to have a problem with being continually vocal.

Yea but LA has been like that all his days AC is trying to be something he is not and its not working. By saying he is goiing to attack relentlessly to humiliate just makes him look foolish imo and it would also be suicidal in terms of winning the race and if it doesnt work out for him next year then even more so.
  • moray_gub
    symo wrote:
    AH but relentless attacking in the pyrenees, AC not under any orders (with whichever team he rides for). It should be so much better.

I agree but If you think you are going to see relentless attacking in the Pyrenees then you are in for a major dissapointment. The TDF just aint like that anymore.
  • iainf72

Kleber that is why I asked Iain for a link but he hasn't provided one yet.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... route.html
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks Iain. I see it isn't a direct quote just hearsay, which could or could not be true.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Thanks Iain. I see it isn't a direct quote just hearsay, which could or could not be true.

Indeed, it's so indirect it's meaningless. It doesn't even come from after the presentation:
    AFTER THE PRESENTATION he said noone will be telling him to attack. (I believe he said that).
    AND ALSO (reported in the same paragraph for effect) he has supposedly been telling people things. OK then.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    symo wrote:

I agree but If you think you are going to see relentless attacking in the Pyrenees then you are in for a major dissapointment. The TDF just aint like that anymore.

Whose to say Contador is not the man to relentlessly attack?

If he is at Astana with a total lyfree hand, maybe abit of time lost early on in the race, ingredients for fireworks I think.

And don't under estimate his desire to prove beyond all doubt how good he is, thus he might try and display this at every opportunity possible.

Finally, he must have gained alot of confidence from his win this year and rightly so. That confidence could take him up yet another level.