My Rockhopper SL :)

gustie
gustie Posts: 118
edited October 2009 in Your mountain bikes
MY Cannondale was a really nice ride but fancied disk brakes to after much debate for a nice hard tail i settled for the 2010 rockhopper SL comp ;) tweaked it a little bit and rides really nice

spec.jpg

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Very nice, but why the 'freeride' additions?
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • gustie
    which bits?

the bashring? i dont use the outer ring much and have pranged it on a few rocks - so thought that would be good for that
  • Whytepeak
    Which model is it?, comp, expert?
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • gustie
    2nd line down :) comp....

fitted my budget so had to have the comp... the deore cranks were a bit flexy for my liking so i stuck on an XT in replacement i had kicking around
  • Whytepeak
    :roll: Doh :lol:

So any chance of a spec list?
  • gustie
    edited October 2009
    FRAME
    Specialized M4 fully manipulated alloy frame, fully butted, ORE DT, asymmetrical seat stays, forged dropouts w/ replaceable derailleur hanger, disc only
    FORK
    Rock Shox Tora SLite, 100mm travel
    HEADSET
    1-1/8" threadless, Campy style semi-cartridge bearings
    STEM
    3D forged alloy, reverse 4-bolt, 7 degree rise, 31.8mm clamp
    HANDLEBARS
    Butted alloy riserbar, 25mm rise, 660mm wide, 8 degree back sweep, 7 degree up sweep
    GRIPS
    ODI X-treme Lock-On Grips (130mm)
    FRONT BRAKE
    Avid Juicy 3 SL hydraulic disc, alloy backed pads, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    REAR BRAKE
    Avid Juicy 3 SL hydraulic disc, alloy backed pads, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS
    Avid Juicy 3 SL
    FRONT DERAILLEUR
    Shimano Deore, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, bottom pull
    REAR DERAILLEUR
    Shimano RD-M662 SLX Shadow, long cage
    SHIFTERS
    Shimano SL-M531 Deore Dual release
    CASSETTE
    Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 11-34t
    CHAIN
    KMC X9 w/ reuseable Missing Link
    CRANKSET
    Shimano XT, Octalink Spline
    CHAINRINGS
    32S x 22S and saint basgring custom fitted
    BOTTOM BRACKET
    Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68mm x 118mm
    PEDALS
    'cuda DX style flatties
    RIMS
    Alex RHD 26", pinned, alloy double wall, eyelets, 28h front and 32h rear
    FRONT HUB
    Specialized Stout, hi/low flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount, 28h
    REAR HUB
    Specialized Stout, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount, cassette, 32h
    SPOKES
    2mm (14g) stainless red nipples
    FRONT TIRE
    Maxxis High Roller 2.35
    REAR TIRE
    Maxxis High Roller 2.35
    INNER TUBES
    Schraeder valve
    SKEWERS
    Kore
    SADDLE
    WTB Pure V race Black
    SEATPOST
    Alloy two bolt, 12.5mm offset, micro adjust, 30.9mm
    SEAT BINDER
    Forged alloy QR, brass washer

not convinced the deore shifters are actually any good though! i am wondering how much better the XT dual release shifters would be if i swapped them.....
  • Whytepeak

Are the wheels stock?
  • gustie
    yes mate the wheelset is stock

what on earth is ALEX rims??? never heard of those before!
  • Whytepeak
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=alex+rims

:lol:

They make rims, white ones it seems :wink:
  • gustie
    liking the link HA HA

its been a while sincwe i bought a bike - my last bike had mavic rims on
  • Whytepeak
    :lol:

Mavic rims are great, Alexrims are very good, but seem to be ignored by many.

Now the long process of replacing componentry until you have a completely white bike 8) :roll:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    gustie wrote:
    FRAME
    not convinced the deore shifters are actually any good though! i am wondering how much better the XT dual release shifters would be if i swapped them.....
    yeah i hear they're very nice indeed, according to some reviews. reckon i'll be getting myself a set soon
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • gustie
    i seem to get a few mis-shifts with these deore ones... usually when im stamping the power down to get over bumps - not great! but the rest of the bike i like so far

@ Whytepeak @ you think its all white then ha - i removed the stock body geometry saddle - that was white too!

white stem and bars eh lol
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Probably because you shouldn't be "stamping the power down" and changing gear at the same time? Unless you mean it jumps when you put the power down? In which case, that will have nothing to do with the shifters - more likely the rear mech set-up or possibly a worn chain/cassette (although unlikely if they're basically new).
  • gustie
    Hi

i unload the chain while shifting - been mountain biking since the early 90's and used to race too :) so its not that

it seems to be ok but as soon as you power down hard (without shifting with the lever) the rear mech seems to want to drop down a cog making it harder to pedal. not really ideal! the chain and cassette are new with the bike - i have checked the chain wear with a gauge too and its fine

The other thing i thought might be causing it could be a kink in the cable somewhere? maybe inside an outer out of view... i must check.....

maybe its the SLX rear mech then? these are pretty low down the range i guess??
  • Whytepeak
    SLX kit is very good, just as good as XT in some places, and much cheaper.

Are you sure the mech is set up right? - maybe you need to fidle around with the barrel adjuster on the shifters.
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    gustie wrote:
    Hi

i unload the chain while shifting - been mountain biking since the early 90's and used to race too :) so its not that

it seems to be ok but as soon as you power down hard (without shifting with the lever) the rear mech seems to want to drop down a cog making it harder to pedal. not really ideal! the chain and cassette are new with the bike - i have checked the chain wear with a gauge too and its fine

The other thing i thought might be causing it could be a kink in the cable somewhere? maybe inside an outer out of view... i must check.....

maybe its the SLX rear mech then? these are pretty low down the range i guess??

If that's the case, it'll be the mech set-up. Try undoing the cable and re-tightening in case it has stretched. Then try tweaking the cable adjustment - should solve your problems.
  • gustie
    yeah - ive had a crack at adjusting the cable tension.. i use a butchered cyclo trainer to use for a workshop stand and whipped it in there.... now... the rear mech shifts perfectly with no load on it - i need to get out and retry it now lol

the other thing i thought... could it be possible that something inside the shifter mechanism could be too tight? so there may be a delay in releasing some cable tension? was thinking maybe one of the clickers are not engaging properly inside it or something?
  • Very unlikely the deore stuff is usually great! Like the look of your bike, does it have White bars yet? :) not sure that your old xt cranks will be stiffer than brand new deores, the deores would be hollowtech 2 and those xts are maybe 8, 9 years old.
  • gustie
    cheers

some white deity bars would like nice eh... lol

i figured it out....... the removable mech hanger has a normal chainring bolt to hold it onto the dropout... it had worked itself loose - so i think when i was pedalling down hard it was moving about and making the mech move, in turn doing a cheeky shift when it shouldnt have... ive tightened it up and i have crisp shifts now.

anyone recommend the best threadlock to use on bike stuff??
  • Whytepeak
    Well worked out!

Hmm, any threadlock that a bike shop sells.
  • gustie
    cool and thanks :)

had a good ride down my local woods today - one thing that bugs me.. if dog owners have to pick up thier mess... why the hell dont horse owners!! they leave MASSES of it too!!