so what do we think of the route ?

Comments

• teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

OK, I know that tactics are different in a stage race, and Arenberg is even crazier than all the other sections put together... but still... imagine if it rains :shock:

You could eliminate a few contendors in one go with falls and the like. ASO may as well just have 3 x 2km sections where we can pelt the riders with watermelons.

I though the Tour was supposed to be won by "allrounders"?
    :P
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    even though there are not to many summit finishes I worry (or hope) cav can make it over strong enough to compete in green

Not a chance in hell..;-)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

OK, I know that tactics are different in a stage race, and Arenberg is even crazier than all the other sections put together... but still... imagine if it rains :shock:

You could eliminate a few contendors in one go with falls and the like. ASO may as well just have 3 x 2km sections where we can pelt the riders with watermelons.

Although if it does rain, I'd bet on the stage being rerouted with no cobbles at all.

This watermelon idea... could catch on!
  • sampras38
    iainf72 wrote:
    The thing with the cobbles is no grand tour riders do Paris - Roubaix these days so no one will likely do anything. They'll all just aim to get through but there is no one I can think of who'll "use" the cobbles

The only guy I can think of is Wiggins...

I'll be interested to see if the 4th place last year was a fluke or whether he's really got what it takes to be a climber. I was in France for the tour last year and he did look bloody good at the top of the Colombiere.
  • teagar
    You just hope that if it is raining or tricky that the teams don't come to some agreement not to race over them, like they do when it's a tricky downhill.

Not keen on that.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    sampras38 wrote:

I'll be interested to see if the 4th place last year was a fluke or whether he's really got what it takes to be a climber. I was in France for the tour last year and he did look bloody good at the top of the Colombiere.

I'm prepared to be wrong, but I think Brad will find it a lot harder to top 5 on this route.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

"Le Grand Canteloupe"?

Would you buy a used car from these men?

tdf10pres-ouch.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • sampras38
    iainf72 wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:

I'm prepared to be wrong, but I think Brad will find it a lot harder to top 5 on this route.

I agree with you.
  • iainf72

tdf10pres-ouch.jpg

Contador is winning the psychological battle by a country mile
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    other $64m question is - will there be radios??

no radio + rain + cobbles = interesting

also no radios and 4 big climbs on one day could see some big splits putting the cat amongst the pigeons
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    teagar wrote:
    Secondly, the biggest factor for cobbles is how heavy you are. You rarely see (if ever) a light rider doing well on cobbles. Either you can do cobbles or you can't.

Partly. I agree there are no really featherweight (contador, simoni, rasmussen, piepoli, etc) riders doing well on the cobbles, but it's not just about 'being heavy'. Museeuw, Van Petegem, Van der Poel, Flecha, Pozzato, etc, etc. aren't particularly heavy riders. There is technique to it too, although I tend to agree that that is not something you could learn in a couple of months. And also that all other things being equal, being heavy and muscular is an advantage.

Of the current GC riders the only one I can think of having cobble experience, apart from Wiggins, is Gesink; he has done his fair share at junior and U23 level.
  • teagar
    edited October 2009
    FJS wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    Secondly, the biggest factor for cobbles is how heavy you are. You rarely see (if ever) a light rider doing well on cobbles. Either you can do cobbles or you can't.

Partly. I agree there are no really featherweight (contador, simoni, rasmussen, piepoli, etc) riders doing well on the cobbles, but it's not just about 'being heavy'. Museeuw, Van Petegem, Van der Poel, Flecha, Pozzato, etc, etc. aren't particularly heavy riders. There is technique to it too, although I tend to agree that that is not something you could learn in a couple of months. And also that all other things being equal, being heavy and muscular is an advantage.

Of the current GC riders the only one I can think of having cobble experience is Gesink; he has done his fair share at junior and U23 level.

Those you've mentioned are around the 70-75kg mark. Hardly featherweight.

I can't see Contador's spinning style (and the fact he constantly slides up and down that saddle) working well on proper cobbles...

Edit: That came out harsher than intended. I see you point!
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    I might be wrong but the route could suit Wiggins quite well.

If he can hang in there over the Tourmalet, then he can make up any time gaps on the TT. Where as last year he needed to put time in on the TT knowing he had Mont Vontoux to follow.

Andy schleck will need to put in big time gaps on Wiggins.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    teagar wrote:
    Those you've mentioned are around the 70-75kg mark. Hardly featherweight....
    Exactly. That's what I said. No featherweights, but also not exactly Backstedts or Cancellaras in terms of weight. They show that a 70 kg rider can beat a 80 or 90 kg rider on cobbles.... Although it helps, it's not all about weight.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    iainf72 wrote:

tdf10pres-ouch.jpg

Contador is winning the psychological battle by a country mile

I thought it was nice, he is trying to help the old man out of his mobility scooter
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    I seem to remember LA and Ullrich getting over the cobbles OK and they are around the low 70kgs mark. However, I suspect it is poor bike handlers who can't look after themselves in the peloton that at are a disadvantage, rather than much to do with weight.

Contrador, Wiggo and a few others showed their lack of peloton skills this year when it split, so they'll need to pay much more attention next year on a cobbled section. Whereas LA during his time as a TDF contender has been very good at this aspect of racing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • iainf72
    Bertie should go to Quick.Step. He'll come out of the cobbled stage 4 minutes up on everyone
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    teagar wrote:
    You just hope that if it is raining or tricky that the teams don't come to some agreement not to race over them, like they do when it's a tricky downhill.

Not keen on that.

Why? Surely the winner should be the person who deals best with the course. In this case wet cobblestones. Where is written that the winner must only have good climbing and TTing skills.

And luck is part of racing.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • teagar
    Timoid. wrote:
    teagar wrote:

Not keen on that.

Why? Surely the winner should be the person who deals best with the course. In this case wet cobblestones. Where is written that the winner must only have good climbing and TTing skills.

Not sure you read my post properly.
  • timoid.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Bertie should go to Quick.Step. He'll come out of the cobbled stage 4 minutes up on everyone

I can see this transfer happening more and more. Add a few more out and out climbers to the existing existing QS strongmen and you have one hell of a squad.

And Lefevre has won everything in the one day game. This could be his big chance to snag a Grand Boucle before its too late.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    teagar wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    teagar wrote:

Not keen on that.

Not sure you read my post properly.

Sorry boot that :oops:

I some how missed the word don't. Taxi for one!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167

tdf10pres-ouch.jpg

Looks like Bertie is attempting the ole bonecrushing KGB handshake that preceded every Kasparov vs Karpov match in the 80s...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • If only it really looked like this!
    sommets_du_tour_01.gif
    sommets_du_tour_02.gif
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Thankfully no TTT. Pity there isn't a mountain on the last but one day. AND despite what you all say now you know you'll all be glued to the TV come July. :)
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Ms Tree wrote:
    Thankfully no TTT. Pity there isn't a mountain on the last but one day. AND despite what you all say now you know you'll all be glued to the TV come July. :)

Fans bitching about the route is an integral part of the sport of professional cycling!

This time next week we'll all be crowing about how the Giro route is a bazillion times more spectacular than the Tour... only for half the stages to be rerouted because of the weather in May.
  • AGuppy
    AGuppy Posts: 44
    dave milne wrote:
    so the monster stage that takes in the peyresourde, aspin, tourmalet and the aubisque then ends in pau?

what a load of s*** that completely ruins it

Lets hope the Giro is a better route....or another boring year!!! :(
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    . . That's a Great Picture you found H.
    tdf10pres-ouch.jpg
    The Face, the face of Laughing boy says it all. (I mean the old Geezer)
    The Cocksure Kid walks up and offers his hand and he cannot refuse in public and the face shows just how painfull it is and if looks could kill.
    The face of the younger man shows that he knows just how antagonized he has put him.
    Roll On, I am now looking forward to next years French Tour. :D
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    teagar wrote:
    Maybe the riders should stop their tacit agreement that racing downhill is outrageous and dangerous and shouldn't be done
    Agree, they’re not supposed to be wimps.
    I also can’t stand the PC idea that main contenders should ease off if another main contender has a unusual or technical problem, like happened between Ullrich and Armstrong more than once.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Philip S wrote:
    The timing of the high mountains stages mean I will need to take 4 half days holiday from work, at the very least. Virgin better have Eurosport in HD by then. :evil:
    You also need to consider the football World Cup. Apparently the TdF organisers have already arranged the timing of the prologue not to conflict with the World Cup matches that day, but surprisingly the first rest day doesn’t match the World Cup finalday