Kielder Black route

BurtonM
BurtonM Posts: 425
edited October 2009 in Routes
Any body got any info on it. Youtube videos are pretty rubbish to be fair. Mainly looking for good downhill, not bothered about hills.
Body armour and full face or what ?
yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.

Comments

• the up and over trail is the best trail i've ever ridden (maybe doesn't count for much considering I've only been biking for about 4 months though). It's very fast, lots of decent sized berms, alot of nice drops, rock gardens, bit of north shore on the uphill part as well.

the downside is that you have to go about 1/3 of the way round the red trail to get to the start of it, and the initial climb is pretty brutal.
  • You can also push/ride up the fire track to get to the black section if you don't want to ride the full route first. As said above the black run down is pretty good, it's rough, has some nice drops and tech sections and is usually pretty quiet so you can also get away with sessioning certain bits if you keep your eyes and ears open.

Full face advisable if you feel like pushing yourself, up to you on body armour, land wrong from a fall on some sections and it will hurt, there are some big rocks about.
  • BurtonM
    so you can push up the black and just ride the down?
    my two mates are on full downhill rigs whereas im on my meta, i doubt ill be able to get up the hills anyways.
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • Just below the small play area there is a road, and off that road is a fire track that will take you to the top sections of the black. About halfway up you'll also come across the last down of the red too. The firetrack ain't that steep so for non lazy people it's probably pedalable too.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    BurtonM wrote:
    Any body got any info on it. Youtube videos are pretty rubbish to be fair. Mainly looking for good downhill, not bothered about hills.
    Body armour and full face or what ?

Depending on where you're based, don't go specially or you'll be disappointed if you only want to do the black sections. If you only live down the road fair enough, but myself and four mates made a 320 mile round trip in the day to do the Deadwater, Up and Over and Lonesome Pine trails and we felt severely short-changed by the time we'd done. Not to mention £60 down in petrol...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • BurtonM
    I live 40 minutes away, and ive done the red trails and that but never did the black or even considered it. i felt short changed with the red trails, hence the moving on to the black :D
    yeehaamcgee wrote: