Lake district must do ride!!

Achno
Achno Posts: 3
edited October 2009 in Routes
Hi,

looking for advice on a lake district ride. I am in Penrith this weekend and will manage to fit in one ride on the Saturday.

So here's the question if you were to do one ride in the north lakes area, natural trails only and with a good weather forecast in mind what would it be???, 4-6Hr ride for the reasonablly fit with good technical trails......

I live in the Highlands and don't get south very often so I am looking to make the most of this trip so any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Cross Fell
    http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/

Or Bowderdale

Or High Street
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    edited October 2009
    Yup

If the weather aint so good:
    Do the Bash and add on Whinlatter and/or Blencartha/Glendettara(sp?)

Route maps from Keswick Mountain Bikes.

There is also a big loop from Keswick taking in the old railway track from behind the swimming pool along to Threlkeld. Then up to Blencartha. Then up to Skiddaw YHA. From there you have the choice of heading to Mosedale and up & over the Caldbeck Fells, pick up the old mine road and head back to the YHA via White Water Dash Falls. Then return to Keswick via Glendettara(sp?)and Latrigg Terrace.

OR at YHA head down past the Falls, haed towards Caldbeck fells via a fram(forget name)BW up onto the old mine road and over to Mosedale. Then Mosedale to YHA and then as above.
    Would need to hunt a map out for exact route ref
    Give KMB a call there may a shop ride or some locals to help you out. Maybe stop off with your map and they will draw you a route.

Might be something here;
    http://www.bogtrotters.org/list_routes.php

Much fun
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Not sure the Borrowdale bash will fill your 4 to 6 hours requirements but there are loads of routes looping out of Keswick that you can make in to a 6 hour session. The Borrowdale bash and the Skiddaw skedaddle done as a figure of 8 with Keswick in the middle probably takes me about 6 hours with a coffee and butty stop in Keswick. Nip into the bike shop in Keswick the lads in there can give you loads of routes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    High Street and the Ullswater singletrack.That'll fill your time,Starting from Hartsop near Glenridding.
  • Achno
    Achno Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check out these routes,

cheers
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    ibbo68 wrote:
    High Street and the Ullswater singletrack.That'll fill your time,Starting from Hartsop near Glenridding.

+1 for that. But do the Ullswater stretch early doors if you can, because it fills up with the Red Sock Militia pretty quickly.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Rode High street on friday, a few points firstly jings it is a slog along the ridge, like cycling through treacle, does it ever dry out? had an amazing encounter with a young stag...it's the rutting season, you could hear the roars...as i was descending from high raise a stag came running at full pelt from my right and crossed in front of me about twenty feet away, reckon it must have thought i was a stag up for the challenge.
    Really enjoyed the Ullswater singletrack it really makes up for the grind over the Street.
  • Another thumbs up for the guys at Keswick Mountain Bikes. They are a very friendly and helpful bunch and will sort you out some route sheets, just pop in and ask :D:D:D
    Custom FS built around a Mongoose Otero frame
    CUBE Ltd Race