one for all?

rowlers
rowlers Posts: 1,614
edited October 2009 in MTB general
I can only have one bike!
So it needs to be lightish and strongish for local road/lonning and weekend trail centre use, such as whinlatter and 7 staines.

Should I stick with my Maxlight XCPro2, should I rebuild what I can onto a Steel HT? Should I buy a FS and sell my Maxlight? (or keep both if I can get away with it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: )

should I buy an FS frame and build it up cheaply over the winter?

Oh Decisions :? :? :?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Why steel? Being steel doesn't make a frame automatically stronger or better lol.

If you plan to hit stuff harder, then maybe look at the Kinesis XC120 and stick a longer fork on and some burlier kit.

Depends what bits of the trail centres you ride. Your bike may be fine how it is.
  • rowlers
    LOL, I realise steel doesn't automatically make a stronger bike!

The carbon seat stays - they area always in the back of my mind! Even though I'm told not too worry about it by KUK!

I don't know if I NEED a new bike or just WANT a new one, or want a project for over winter - lol
    My Maxlight handled Ae at the weekend, took a big tumble and still came out unscathed, so its probably ideal for what I do!
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    No-one needs a new bike but everyone wants one!

sell your mother and get a fully!

anyway, why can you only have one bike?
    Not really active
  • If you're looking at FS, then something like a Lapierre Spicy, Orange Alpine 160 or a Commencal Meta 6 would be the kind of thing I'd be looking at. They'll all pretty much do anything from XC up to and including some mild DH.

None of the above bikes would be any good on the road though, nor particularly light, so maybe a burly hardtail might be your best bet.

If you're doing it on the cheap, then consider something like the Patriot in my sig below.
    I bought the frame second hand on ebay and built the whole bike for around a grand. The only parts I didn't buy were brakes and the rear wheel as I already had them.
  • rowlers
    If i had more than 1 bike when would I ride them? lol.
    I think its deffo more a want than a need.

I'll run the XCPro2 into the ground and then think about a burlier frame.
    For some reason I just don't fancy FS. Don;t know why though!?!
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Hmm, I'd think one down from the Alpine.

140mm travel is probably what your looking at on a FS because of the riding you want.

The Alpine does take a little of the "spend all day in the saddle" ability.

Although I'm biased, bikes similar to the Orange 5 is a good choice for your type of riding.
    Craig Rogers