Cancellara to attempt hour record

miffy-on-a-bicycle
miffy-on-a-bicycle Posts: 39
edited October 2009 in Track
In an interview in Procycling magazine Fab says he want to make an attempt on the hour. Could he do it? I'm not sure how much track experience he's had, but I suppose he is the best time trialist in the world today.

Earlier in the year Obree was saying he wanted another go in late 2009. Is he still planning to go ahead, does anyone know?

Who else has hour record potential today do you think? Wiggins? Tony Martin?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cancellara is by far the best shot...
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    During the World Championships RR Rob Hayles and Hugh Porter discussed whether FC could beat Wiggins in the pursuit. Hayles said that he had heard FC had done some tests on the track with a view to competing in the pursuit in Beijing. Apparently FC had been unable to show his road form on the track. Hayles suggested there's more technique to riding on the track than people would suspect.

I'd like to see Wiggins give The Hour a go, with the support of BC I think he'd have a decent shot at it.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It's weird you posted this as I was thinking about Fabian and the Hour Record yesterday while going to Manchester
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Cancellara is by far the best shot...
    Not true IMHO.
    It is not just about brute force. It is about technique, riding smooth good lines, and maintaining cadence.
    Why do you think he did not ride pursuit? He tested and did not think he could win.
    No doubt he would eventually get close but would need loads of track time to do it.
    Wiggo would be the current best shot followed by Taylor Phinney I reckon.
  • Apologies to anyone who was looking for the interview I refered to with Fab in Procycling. It was in a rival publication! :oops:
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Apparently FC had been unable to show his road form on the track. Hayles suggested there's more technique to riding on the track than people would suspect.

One-on-one sprinting, where there's tactics involved, yes obviously.

But Rebecca Romero transferred out of rowing and learned how to ride round a track well enough to win a gold in pursuit, so I'm not convinced.
  • I agree with Rob H. Fabian is a fast TT'er, is part of that speed the way he can handle a geared freewheel bike on a combination course, with turns and gradients? That doesn't always transmit to nailing it round the black line on the wood.

RR was already a cyclist, womens racing is very much less represented and places less highly contested in terms of sheer volume, she has the power and the skills. FC probably also has the power and skills, but not enough to make it worth his while to pursue. It's not like he needs it.

Some people take to it better, it works both ways, I know of some handy track riders who hopeless on the road.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I am with RPH.
    He has nothing to proove gooing on the track and it will effect his road performance due to the different training required.
    There is a lot of technique to purstuiting, not tactics as such.
    Romero was also used to the similar types of training and effort for rowing and pursuit.
    Romero is not yet up to scratch on bunch riding yet though, thats another kettle of fish.