coxy17 Posts: 401
edited October 2009 in MTB general
hi
please can you tell me any ways to get your grips off in one piece
thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Coat a flat bladed screwdriver in hairspray or GT85. Carefully push under grip. Squirt some in. Push further. Move about. Pull off.
  • coxy17
    coxy17 Posts: 401
    thanks
  • didim
    didim Posts: 82
    Lift one side of the grip up by using something like a flathead screwdriver (be careful not to scratch) and squirt in some WD40. Leave for 5 mins and pull off.

If that doesn't work try this: get a needle for blowing up balls,attach to a air pressuriser and put that under the grip. the grip should 'hovver' . Just pull off.

Those work most of the time. If not you'll probably have to cut them.... :roll:
  • fairy liquid
  • tayaste
    tayaste Posts: 19
    Pushing the grips off should be easier than pulling the grips off
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    best thing ive used is brake cleaner instead of gt85 etc. could just spit in there?
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    Screwdirver and WD or GT is the way to go.

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • I can usually just roll them off dry. Just start and the end near your shifters, rolling it back along the bars to the end.
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    if you have a air compresser, shove the end up to the little hole in one grip, cover the little hope in the other with you palm, and it'll blow the grip off. its very effective. then just swap ends.
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • cut em off and buy more :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Compressed air! Grip goes on, grip goes off. You don't need a compressor, you can do it with a can of air duster (£2 from Tesco).

Or alternatively, an allen key :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    heez29 wrote:
    best thing ive used is brake cleaner

Yep I totally agree, squirt a little under the grip, a quick twist & there off. Plus the cleaner evaporates quickly so I use the same stuff to put them back on.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Use locking grips. Yeah, I know it's not very helpful, but it maketh sense.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Salsa wrote:
    heez29 wrote:

Yep I totally agree, squirt a little under the grip, a quick twist & there off. Plus the cleaner evaporates quickly so I use the same stuff to put them back on.

However if you get it on paintwork it has the potential to do a lot of damage.
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    cut em off and buy more :)

+1 on that and replace them with LOGs..
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    weeksy59 wrote:
    Salsa wrote:
    heez29 wrote:

Confusing brake cleaner with brake fluid ?
    Brake cleaner is isopropyl alcohol which will not damage paintwork.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Salsa wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    Salsa wrote:
    heez29 wrote:

Confusing brake cleaner with brake fluid ?
    Brake cleaner is isopropyl alcohol which will not damage paintwork.

Obviously brake fluid yes... but i've always been told not to use brake cleaner by/near any paintwork so took it as gospel.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    +1 on that and replace them with LOGs..

2928997882_a633e3f80b.jpg
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Use water instead of brake cleaner, fairy liquid, GT85, hair spray, etc... Then you won't need to worry about residue, damaging paint work, "borrowing" the missus' hair products, etc... It works and it's free.

Why complicate it? Often the simplest solution is the best... ... ... I've reconsidered my advice - as per above posts - cut them off, replace with lock-ons, don't look back.