New Bike and New Rider

MrCraigBerry
MrCraigBerry Posts: 15
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys,

As the title suggests, I have just bought myself a bike for the first time in years.

My name is Craig, and I currently live in Manchester.

The reason being, I have sold my car and was primarily looking for a bike just to commute to work in the evenings, and university in the days.

I ended up buying a Felt Q220 which I am impressed with so far and is more than perfect for my day to day use. I am guessing that this bike will be fine for my uses, and the occasional sunday trek?

However, I am already hooked on riding, and can't wait to get more involved in the sport.

My friend has just purchased a Kona Cindercone and we are going to start riding at the weekends in our spare time.

I look forward to talking with you all and learning much more about this sport.

Regards,

Craig.

Comments

• missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Hi, welcome to the forum!

I know what you mean about getting hooked, I started cycling years ago with an Apollo, then a Carrera and now I've built myself a full-suspension bike. It is a very addictive and expensive sport but incredibly rewarding!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    What he said...

Might as well hand over your wallet now so that we can spend all your money for you!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Welcome.

Watch out for the pit-of-despair forum, otherwise known as 'buying advice'.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • Thanks for the welcome guys.

Where would be a good place for me and my friend to go in the manchester area? Prefferably within riding distance from the centre as we have noi car.
  • dave_hill
    Go to Victoria Station. Get on the train for Burnley. Get off at Todmorden. Bingo.

Oh, and you'll need to take your bikes, it wasn't just travel advice.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • StealTheR
    StealTheR Posts: 195
    Welcome!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... &start=420

A few of us ride around Manchester, not that its very good. The only decent place is up near Bury but thats quite a trek from city centre.

Your more than welcome to come along with us. I know a few rides near Radcliffe aswell, but that's about it.
  • I've recently bought a Aquabourne Hydration Backpack on amazon that I think was a bargain...it's got more pockets and extra space than most packs in this price range and I'm very happy with it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquabourne-Hydr ... hisProduct
  • NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    I live just across from Victoria station and too have just got back into riding. Need to get involved in getting out with some new people, as it stands I either ride alone or with my dad :)
  • StealTheR wrote:
    Welcome!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... &start=420

A few of us ride around Manchester, not that its very good. The only decent place is up near Bury but thats quite a trek from city centre.

Your more than welcome to come along with us. I know a few rides near Radcliffe aswell, but that's about it.

What about heading south a bit..? Your just north of the Penines.
    BAZZ
  • StealTheR
    StealTheR Posts: 195
    Yeah we probably will start riding a bit futher out of Manchester, we are heading to Delamere in a few weeks and I do want to get up to the pennines some time.
  • dave_hill

Eh? Have they moved them? :shock: :roll:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    dave_hill wrote:

LMAO... yeah I wondered that as well.

Not thinking of the Peak District perhaps :wink:
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    edited October 2009
    What's Edale like? I've seen some routes on Bike Radar, around Mam Tor, Castleton etc. can get there in 45 minutes on train from Piccadilly :)
  • get on the canal at piccadilly and head towards tameside there's loads of places to ride up here :D
  • dont listern to that dave hill guy,get to oldham some mint rides out here.

and as for tod pfft heden brigde for the win :P
  • Hi Guys

I'm also a newbie as I've just started riding again after five years.
    Ilive in middleton (north manchester) and as regards cycling in manchester I have found the cycle GM website to be quite useful for some basic ideas by using their online maps, although so far I have only really been riding on canal towpaths.

I was interested in the comment about riding in oldham though. Is there anywhere interesting to ride in Oldham?

Martin
  • mac man wrote:
    dave_hill wrote:

LMAO... yeah I wondered that as well.

Not thinking of the Peak District perhaps :wink:

Yeah, my apologies....definitely the Peak District...Glossop, Buxton etc. :wink:
    BAZZ
  • NDawn wrote:
    What's Edale like? I've seen some routes on Bike Radar, around Mam Tor, Castleton etc. can get there in 45 minutes on train from Piccadilly :)

Rugged & excellant! :D
    BAZZ
  • dave_hill
    adiggers wrote:
    dont listern to that dave hill guy,get to oldham some mint rides out here.

and as for tod pfft heden brigde for the win :P

Yeah, 'cos Hebden Bridge is like miles from Tod, isn't it? Any chance of an an English version next time? :roll:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic