Whoppee - Off to Nice (Cote A'zur) for 2 weeks

cjessop
cjessop Posts: 36
edited November 2009 in Tour & expedition
Got some unexpected time off so have decided to go to Nice for 2 weeks. Bikes will be packed on sunday, can't wait the temperature is at least 10 degrees warmer than here.

Know the roads fairly well round there, does anyone have any routes that maybe of interest?

Be good to hear them.
Thanks
CJ

Comments

• jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Did the lower corniche on a Brompton St tropez to Italy during Cannes Film Fest/Monaco Grand Prix..The Moyen Corniche"is an alternative..These are quickly done.The Gorges of Verdon are on my wishlist if I went to that area again (about 140KM all round I believe)Dont know what daylight hours are like this time of year
    jc
  • cjessop
    Thanks for tips.

Daylight hours are up until around 6.45pm local time, so should be enough time to get a good few miles in each day.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Gorges du Loup.

Ride up the lower gorge to Greolieres, along the upper gorge to Pont du Loup (the higher of the two places with the same name!), back over the plateau de Caussols, down the hairpins of the col de l'Ecre to Gourdon (stop and admire) and then descend like the wind back to Nice.

A really fabulous ride.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• cjessop
    Thanks pneumatic, just looked at this route, looks great. Will add this one in the schedule.
    CJ
  • Just back from a long weekend - great weather, great cycling

My highlight was the col d'ecre - really nice climb, very scenic and a good run up at 1100m. The madone was fine - much more of a training climb than a scenic one though,
  • Hi,

Just got back myself. Had a great time, can't believe how much difference the weather makes!

Went up the Madone both ways, from Nice (a number of times) and Menton via St Agnes. Col d'Eze (a number of times), Col de Vence (great views when looking backwards) and around the Pont du Loup on way back, boy is that Gorge deep and a very long decent. Generally went up, up and up and then down, down and down!

Overall found some more I'd like to do however run out of time and the first 2 days were wet.

Oh well, will have to make an effort to go back again.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    cjessop wrote:
    the temperature is at least 10 degrees warmer than here.

Jeez - how cold is it in Yorkshire?

I was in Bologna last week - it was colder than in London. Best to pack some warm layers as well.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Glad you enjoyed it. Makes me want to go back, too.

:mrgreen:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)