Rough cost for a LBS to transfer cassette and rotor?

didim
didim Posts: 82
edited October 2009 in MTB general
What's the rough cost for an LBS to transfer cassette and rotor from one wheel to another?

Thanks

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    probaly the same as it will cost you to go and buy a chain whip, lockring tool and torx T25 screwdriver (assuming it's a six bolt rotor, if not you don't need the screwdriver, the lockring tool will do).

Pricewise i'd guess £15.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    That's really a very easy job indeed - def buy some tools and do it yourself.

Have a look at the park tools website if you need advice.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    The Torx Driver will probably cost around £2, may as well do it yourself!
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I certainly wouldnt be paying my LBS for such a sraight forward job, they will prob charge u the same as it would cost to actually buy the tools to do it urself plus u have the inconvenience of having ur bike in the shop for a day or so depending on how quick they do the job.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    If you do it yourself, I recommend a dab of blue Loctite on the rotor bolts to stop them coming loose.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Probably half an hour labour. £10 - £15ish.
    It won't take them half an hour, but most places have a workshop minimum charge of half hour.

Easy job though, you could do it yourself.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    my lbs didn't charge me to change the cassete and i got torx bits so i did the rotor myself

its litrally a 2 min job go buy the tools and then you have them for the future aswell

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • didim
    Thanks for the answers. Will buy the tools :)

So I need Torx T25 key (might have one), lockring tool and chainwhip (what's that for?)?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    chainwhip stops the cassette from rotating so you can undo the lockring with the cassette tool
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • didim
    chainwhip stops the cassette from rotating so you can undo the lockring with the cassette tool
    AH thanks
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Not a biggy, but try and remember to do the rotor bolts up in order as 1, 3, 5, 2, 4, 6 - don't suppose it makes an ounce of difference, but that's recommended and who am I to argue. :lol:
  • didim
    Soul Boy Not a biggy, but try and remember to do the rotor bolts up in order as 1, 3, 5, 2, 4, 6 - don't suppose it makes an ounce of difference, but that's recommended and who am I to argue.
    Isn't it so you stess each ''rotor segment'' equally? :lol:
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Check your multi-tool. Most of them these days come with a torx T25 on them.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    didim wrote:
    Soul Boy Not a biggy, but try and remember to do the rotor bolts up in order as 1, 3, 5, 2, 4, 6 - don't suppose it makes an ounce of difference, but that's recommended and who am I to argue.
    Isn't it so you stess each ''rotor segment'' equally? :lol:

That'll be it, knew there'd be a technical term :wink:
  • didim
    Just bough a mini socket wrench with a T25 key included - for £1.... :shock:
    That'll be it, knew there'd be a technical term
    :lol:

Just the chain whip and lockring tool then.

Thanks for the help :P
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    My old cassette was on a bit too firmly for me to get off, so a quick trip to the really LBS (as opposed to the one up the hill) and the lad changed it for me there and then. And as I was upgrading to a new wheelset, and demoting those to another bike, I had a threeway - he did them all.

FOC with just a donation into the charity box on the counter - was very chuffed. I asked him if I was doing anything silly and he said no, it was just really stiff - he'd clamped it in a vice and used a really long spanner - so I wasn't entirely to blame. :roll:
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • didim
    My old cassette was on a bit too firmly for me to get off, so a quick trip to the really LBS (as opposed to the one up the hill) and the lad changed it for me there and then. And as I was upgrading to a new wheelset, and demoting those to another bike, I had a threeway - he did them all.

FOC with just a donation into the charity box on the counter - was very chuffed. I asked him if I was doing anything silly and he said no, it was just really stiff - he'd clamped it in a vice and used a really long spanner - so I wasn't entirely to blame.

Thanks - I'll try it myself first though. :wink:
  • Merlin Cycles sell the lockring tool and chain whip for under a tenner.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/bicycle-workshop-tools/lifu-cassette-removing-kit.html
    Custom FS built around a Mongoose Otero frame
    CUBE Ltd Race
  • Merlin Cycles sell the lockring tool and chain whip for under a tenner.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/bicycle-workshop-tools/lifu-cassette-removing-kit.html
    Custom FS built around a Mongoose Otero frame
    CUBE Ltd Race
  • didim
    Ah well I can get both from CRC for £9.98 with free postage, £1.99 cheaper than at merlin! :wink:
  • NIGEL_ASH wrote:
    Merlin Cycles sell the lockring tool and chain whip for under a tenner.

I bought this myself a while back. Well worth the money, dead useful tools to have around.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    It's easy to do but those rotor bolts can be impossible to get out and burr over easily.
  • didim
    Already tried and worked. Got a socket set with T25 so it's easiier
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    A chainwhip is just a chain on a handle, so if you've got an old chain you can improvise one easily enough. Though it's hardly worth the hassle to be fair, they're not expensive.

I always think that taking jobs like this to a mechanic is kind of asking for trouble, not because of the job itself but because it says "I know nothing about spannering on bikes". Same as asking a car garage to top up your wiper fluid. Off come the gloves and the next thing you know you've got a bill for £200 for calibrating the flux capacitor.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • didim
    A chainwhip is just a chain on a handle, so if you've got an old chain you can improvise one easily enough. Though it's hardly worth the hassle to be fair, they're not expensive.

I always think that taking jobs like this to a mechanic is kind of asking for trouble, not because of the job itself but because it says "I know nothing about spannering on bikes". Same as asking a car garage to top up your wiper fluid. Off come the gloves and the next thing you know you've got a bill for £200 for calibrating the flux capacitor.

:lol: I do most things on my bike, just didn't know this was such an easy job. :wink: