Removing Stripped Tektro Comp's Allen bolt

didim
didim Posts: 82
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
The pad retaining bolt on my Tektro Auriga Comp has been stripped/rounded off, and now I can't remove it to change the pads. :cry:

4008134168_3d60fae810.jpg
4008133128_4ce7c59eb0.jpg

Any ideas how to remove it? Easy out/ left handed drill bit? The metal is really soft and flimy so don;t know if that would work....

Thank

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looks like the wrong retaining pin was used. as the ones i have seen have a head proud of the caliper.

the way you are thinking should work. but then there is the cut the pads tops off and then grip the pin.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • didim
    The bolt head does stick out from the caliper. I will get a better pic.

What's that about the pads?

Thanks 8)
  • didim
    4008377084_b90ac379f8.jpg
  • depending on how rounded it is I find a slightly bigger torx/star bit hammered in works pretty well, or even easier use the right size (quality!) allen key in the first place! :lol:
    Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1
  • didim
    I'll try that later with the star bit. :)

And I didn't do this. The bike's second hand.... :roll:
  • ah I see..... :roll:
    If the star bit trick fails you can try cutting a grove in the top of the bolt to turn it into a flat head screw....
    Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1
  • didim
    Yeah, the metal is literally like butter though. Tried to turn it with pliers... Took a chunk off... :roll:

If it's too much hassle might just get an Avid Juicy 3....
  • thats a bit worrying because I have these exact brakes.....!
    let us know how you get on!

Saracen Trace 1
  • didim
    Ah, Well as long as you use the right allen key, and decent quality I guess you will be OK.

Next solution: Hammer in star key ; remove...,
    If not: Easy out

:?
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    there are a few ways of removing knackerd nuts
    stilson wrench (monkey wrench)
    blow torch better still oxy cetaline
    drill it out

however the easiest i find is get a file or grinder and grind two flat edges parellel, then you can just use a spanner to get it off.

good luck
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • didim
    Thanks but have given up - tried a few things but the bolt is like butter - bought a new brake.

:)
  • Didim is quite correct, those Allen bolts are soft as cheese and the correct size Allen key easily chews up the head.

I was lucky to get one undone but not the second, but I managed to Dremel a slot for flat blade screw driver so with grips at one end and a screw driver at the other managed to get it out.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Holy thread resurrection - you do realise it's six years old, and those brakes are probably dust by now?

The OP hasn't even logged in for five years.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • whatisthatagain
    whatisthatagain Posts: 4
    edited April 2021
    I don't mean to necro this but it keeps the topic together.
    Just bought a bike with air in front brake and when I went to bleed had same problem on same brake.
    Used good wrenches it is too big for 3mm too small for 3.5 and 1/8 and easy outs
    Heat will destroy innards
    Wisdom dictates replacement and play with original knackered up one on bench
    as the retainer pin/pad axle would have to be fabbed out of something made of real metal after the pain of whatever extraction might achieve. Tektro doesn't stock the part.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,452
    If you can get to the other end of the bolt, try drilling it out with a small drill. The applied torque will probably unwind the bolt for you.