How do I get my son out riding

fatwomble
fatwomble Posts: 117
edited October 2009 in MTB general
I just can't seem to interest him, he would rather just play on XBox.

Any suggestions, blackmail, bribery, force, all offers considered.

Comments

• Steal and hide the power cable :twisted:
    This is my bike, there are many like it but this one is mine
  • fitch28
    fitch28 Posts: 155
    take one of his mates with you too. works a treat with my daughter, her enthusiasm seems to treble when she gets a chance to show off!
  • fatwomble
    fitch28 wrote:
    take one of his mates with you too. works a treat with my daughter, her enthusiasm seems to treble when she gets a chance to show off!

Good idea actually, took him and his 2 cousins to Glentress last time we visited them and they all loved.
  • what age?

as above

he needs to get out

make sure wherever you do take him it is within his ability, do not push it!!

Has he got some mates(& parents) you could take along? Maybe hire some good bikes, make a day of it ending with a bigmac or something

computers(& us parents)are the ruination of the current generation.

My son bmx`ed from he was 4, played ice hockey, sculled all over scotland, did cubs, scouts and DofE. His stepson(11)is into his xbox but also does rugby, bmx and squash and golf with his dad.
    His sister on the other hand :? :?
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    take the batteries out of the controls to everything in the house and tell him his bike doesn't need batteries :D

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • fatwomble
    what age?

as above

he needs to get out

make sure wherever you do take him it is within his ability, do not push it!!

Has he got some mates(& parents) you could take along? Maybe hire some good bikes, make a day of it ending with a bigmac or something

My son bmx`ed from he was 4, played ice hockey, sculled all over scotland, did cubs, scouts and DofE. His stepson(11)is into his xbox but also does rugby, bmx and squash and golf with his dad.
    His sister on the other hand :? :?

He's 12 (and 3/4) and has a reasonable bike, offered to upgrade it with some of my spares or let him use his mothers pretty much unused full suspension bike but no joy.

He is pretty active with Scouts and there isn't an ounce of fat on him, perhaps I am trying to force one of my interests on him as I would like some father son time .
  • Show him some videos of hardcore riding like downhill and freeride and he should come around, my mate did it to me and now i'm hooked :D
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    Show him some Danny Mac, works for me and my friends! :P
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • buduk
    buduk Posts: 55
    i'am new to the mtb scene and have 2 kids 10&6 best i have found so far is mabie for both of them ,had a blast loadsa father son time ,took the eldest to newcastleton and done the blue and really enjoyed it ,mind you if i took the youngest i dont think he would of ,but having said that as i myself is starting out ,a mtber told me if you want to enjoy it walk up the hills,and enjoy the decent :D the fitness will come to do the climbs later ,i found this really good advice me and the kids get of and walk as soon as its to hard for them (me really)then love the decent,another plus is to build there (mine really)fitness take them on a couple of back roads nearby for more father son time :D:D win win situation
  • fitch28
    fitch28 Posts: 155
    agreed- rubins, muddy

show him the red bull rampage and then book him on a freeride course
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    We do a game +1 for every rider they go past -1 if they get overtaken, great if they pass a group that has stopped!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    dsmiff wrote:
    We do a game +1 for every rider they go past -1 if they get overtaken, great if they pass a group that has stopped!!!

competitive dad! (fast show springs to mind :lol::lol::lol: )
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • borderboy
    borderboy Posts: 161
    I made my kids bike to start with they didn't like it at first but now they love it. The 13 year old raced dh this year and the 11next year. The 7 year old can't wait till he's 12 he can do the black runs now he is mad though. (see link below)
    I have a friend who has a kid that only does x box ps2 etc and its doing him no favours his dad is in the same position as you and he doesn't know what to do either, my advice is youv'e got to cruel to be kind!!! The games after he has got rid of some physical energy, he'll thank you for it one day. Mine have!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZjCwLAZPbo
    Its all up hill down here
  • get him out of scouts and teach him man trades

take him mtb camping :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dunno about the current, it was the same in my day. Stuck indoors on the ZX81 and the BBC Micro. Right proper geek!. Now I work with computers I'd rather be outdoors :D
    borderboy wrote:
    Cool garden! :D
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    rubins4 wrote:
    competitive dad! (fast show springs to mind :lol::lol::lol: )

Wish I was, but I can't keep up no more :oops: Actually it is one of the reason I don't take them racing anymore - it's quite easy to get caught up in all the competition.

I've struggled a bit with the youngest, but he enjoys it more each time we go. I don't really give either of mine an option of not going be it swimming, football, scouts or riding, but they are normally pretty keen on going.

We also go cycling first thing in the morning so we get back in time for them to spend the rest of the day playing with their mates, guess one day they won’t to come with their “uncool” dad anymore!

As for the xbox / wii, they only tend to go on if it is raining / dark (and before school if they are washed and dressed) otherwise they are outside playing. And if they whinge about me turning it off, they don't go on the next day.

Guess I'm a bit a of Sh!t really, but it makes for an easier life!
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Trail centres are good fun... especially with bermy sections as it feels like they're on their own roller coaster.

I've only just got back into biking and have been trying to get my 17 yr old into it, as he's a tad overweight and does no physical exercise... spends most of his time playing XBox and Facebooking.

All my fault i know... but am trying to make up for lost ground. We went up to Lee Quarry in Lancs at the weekend and had a blast.... he borrowed my bike while I rode his Halfords special. I really want to keep his interest up but that old bike of his is just bluddy dangerous in the rough stuff.

So I am REALLY tempted to offer an early Xmas prezzie if he can be persuaded to stick with it.

But yeah... to the OP, persist like hell with it without putting him off for life. I used to o hillwalking with my dad as a kid. Took me a few years before I really started to enjoy it but it's something that's really stuck with me all my life.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    OK, i WISH my dad would take me out riding, i seem to be the one always nagging him to take me riding, im always begging him to come riding, he does like it, but is always hesitnt to come out, we havent been riding together since.... um febuary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    at borderboy -

Really enjoyed the video! Awesome kids, cool skills and excellent garden.

Those are some lucky kids (and dad.)
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    borderboy, you're one Super Dad.

Not many 13year old kids have the chance to ride a BigHit.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    I think the only father-son time I get these days is down at the pub! We must be more healthy! :lol:
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    If he's 12, then simply tell him he's going out on his bike and take him......

Can you tell I've got no kids?????
    Craig Rogers
  • borderboy
    borderboy Posts: 161
    Xtreem wrote:
    borderboy, you're one Super Dad.

Not many 13year old kids have the chance to ride a BigHit.

Thanks for that xtreem you have made an old man happy.

All the boys contribute to the buying of there bikes they work around home and mow grass for others, sell kindling /morning sticks and with the money they get they pay about 25% and we pay the rest. Matt saved £500 for his big hit Andrew saved £450 for his commencal mini dh 24" and Harry has had his off father christmas :wink::wink:
    Its all up hill down here
  • My son is 6,and I couldn`t get him interested in riding his bike at all,although he has been able to ride without stabilisers since he was 4 .
    He rides his micro scooter and he also has a Huffy Green machine kart which he loves.
    Then the other day I noticed him riding his bike,and at the weekend I set up a jump with some bricks and some off cuts of timber and he`s been riding everyday for the last 2 weeks.
    Sometimes,its best not to keep pushing them,but just try presenting,things to them a different or more interesting way.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • tell him to bike or you brake his arms
  • Hey buduk
    You know about? http://bikingheaven.com/stepping_stanes/

I`m a Mabie regular btw :D
  • buduk
    buduk Posts: 55
    cheers pal looks very interesting the kids loved it at mabie and need to take them either once a week or every other its about an hours drive for me but when you see there smile on there faces it all worth while ,nothing like it round here except a couple of cycle paths and there 6 miles away
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    um maybe he doesn't want to ride a bike yet?

think back to the time when you're parents pushed you to take piano lessons or something you didn't like at the time.... :roll:
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Muddy.Bail wrote:
    Show him some videos of hardcore, my mate did it to me and now i'm hooked :D

He's only 12!!! :shock:
    Craig Rogers
  • i hated biking until i got the freedom to go out by myself