Anything else I will need?

Goomba Fletch
Goomba Fletch Posts: 221
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
Well it's happened, finally wore down my girlfriend with my incessant pining and she's paid off my first hardtail. Woop! Going to collect it tomorrow when I get the chance after work, and I'm all excited and can't wait to hit the trails!
I've hooked up with a couple of seasoned MTBers that I work with who are just as eager to take me to Dalby Forest and break me in, but before we do that I'm going for a couple of gentle rides with them just to get a feel for the bike (never rode a proper MTB before!). This also gives me a chance to sort out any gear I'll need to pick up before I hit the trails proper.

Obviously I'll need an anti-brain-damage-hat (a helmet) because I've no desire for my mental faculties to deteriorate any further. At the moment I feel more comfortable cycling in shorts, so I've got some old Vans boardshorts and some Icebreaker leggings for the colder weather. For a baselayer I've also picked up a long-sleeved Icebreaker tee. I figure this should do for now, once I get more into it I can possibly look at getting some more technical gear like a softshell and a paclite or something, a fitted rucksack to replace my loose skate pack, and some lined baggy shorts for when the warmer weather comes back around.

Have I missed anything here? Is there anything else, clothing or gear that I may need for entry-level MTB?

Cheers, peace. X
This is my bike, there are many like it but this one is mine

Comments

• missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Gloves will save you cutting your hands up. Perhaps a cheap Hydration Pack?
  • Duuuuuhhh! As if I forgot gloves! I use a prehistoric Irn-Bru bike my girlfriend was given to commute to work and I'd made a point to get some gloves after my hands felt like they were about to drop off this morning!

The hydration pack is a good idea too, possibly just get a large-capacity hydration pack instead of the rucksack, maybe like 8l with a 2l bladder.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Shoes.

I got some skate shoes which made a massive difference to grip on the pedals. TK Max have loads.

Knee/elbow protection. Don't be worried about looking a wuss. Better to have your knees intact and live to ride another day :D
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • Way ahead of you on the skate shoes :D only problem is, two of my three pairs of skate shoes are fairly pricey NikeID ones, which I'd rather not destroy! But I've got some older 6.0 mid-tops which are a little loose but I would be more comfortable with damaging them!

I was thinking of kneepads, you think elbow pads as well? I'll hopefully not be falling off that much, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to be prepared.
  • puncture repair kit/spare innertube
    tire irons and pump
    mutli tool or various allen keys/spanners

and above all a mobile phone incase all the above goes tits up :D
    (and a packet of fags if that way inclined,best first aid kit on market :oops: )
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    good set of lights for the dark nights that have crept up on us again :wink:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    things i take, not essential but all have been used on a ride:
    a small pump, spare tube, small cheapy multi tool, split chain link, rear mech hanger. elbow grease, spare set of balls incase mine fall off
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • That's a lovely and useful guide, thanks BlackSpur!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I know you've mentioned your board shorts and leggings, but get a decent pair of padded liners or proepr cycling shorts to wear underneath. It'll save you feeling like someone's trying to saw you in half with a piece of string.

A small first aid kit is always handy (Gelert do an excellent basic one for under a tenner - link HERE) as is a thermal blanket (link) if you venture out into the hills.

I'm a great believer in the fact that if you've got something, you'll never need it. So far (touch wood) that applies with both the first aid kit and the blanket.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Way ahead of you on the skate shoes :D only problem is, two of my three pairs of skate shoes are fairly pricey NikeID ones, which I'd rather not destroy! But I've got some older 6.0 mid-tops which are a little loose but I would be more comfortable with damaging them!

I was thinking of kneepads, you think elbow pads as well? I'll hopefully not be falling off that much, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Fallen off 3 times in the last 6 weeks since I got my new bike... it's always been my knees that have born the brunt. I very rarely see anybody wearing elbow pads apart from the serious downhill peeps.

Depends what you're riding over I guess. I might get some for next time I'm up at Lee Quarry. That place is just so damn rocky. Gives me the willies just looking at some of the sections, and I just think 'nah... not this time'.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    When I go out at night (for reference) I take:

Cameklbak 1.5L
    Topeak Rear Shock Pump
    Micro Innovations Gas (x 2 Canisters)
    Sigma Mirage + EvoX Lightset
    Puncture Repair Kit
    Spare Inner Tube
    Money (For the pub of course)
    Knog Frog Rear Light
    Bolle Sports Glasses (Very useful on dusty nights when it hasn't rained for a while)
  • Excellent, thanks guys! As of yesterday the Blacks store that I work in has gone into a closing down sale, 50% off everything in store! So it's time to abuse my staff discount methinks! We stock a fair amount of the stuff listed, anything else I can go see the guys at the Evans cycles concession store upstairs.

Thanks for the help guys.
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    Every time i go out i have with me or on me the following

And this is me preparing for the worst every ride

Helmet ( Full face or open depending on what im doing )
    Gloves
    Berghaus Gore Tex Jacket
    Base Layer
    Jersey
    Jumper
    Hydration Pack
    Socks
    Shoes
    Shorts
    Undershorts
    In my actual bag i have
    CO2 pump with manual pump
    CO2 canisters
    Tools
    Puncture repair kit
    Spare inner
    Money
    Phone
    Small knife (unbeliavbly handy )
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • I've recently bought a Aquabourne Hydration Backpack on amazon that I think was a bargain...it's got more pockets and extra space than most packs in this price range and I'm very happy with it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquabourne-Hydr ... hisProduct