Reliability Runs 2009/2010 winter / early spring season

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
Could I ask if any club member knows of a reliability run starting in late 2009 early 2010 to put it here if it is an 'open' event.
It was commented that such runs make a refreshing change from overpriced overhyped sportives.
My estimable colleague and myself intend to plan next season's races with a game plan that actually contains some prep work!

cheers all

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    www.audax.uk.net will provide something for you
    M.Rushton
  • jgsi
    Audaxes are the same as reliability runs?

I will post a question in Training as to how to train for a new Road Racing season.
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    JGSI wrote:
    Audaxes are the same as reliability runs?

I will post a question in Training as to how to train for a new Road Racing season.

They're not meant to be but some do ride them like they are.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    They are a good training tool. They teach you how to ride conservatively when neccessary. I love it when someone gallops off and there is a wily veteran who by the end catches up with the front runners. You can go as fast as you like on them but invariably the route sheet will slow you down.
    M.Rushton
  • Whether an audax can be treated as a reliability ride depends upon the nature of the route and the distance. Clearly a winding and long event would not be suitable.

This one I can recommend. It is an appropriate distance and there is a 'gritted' main road alternative if you do fancy the lanes. There are no 'information controls' to hinder your journey.

Snowdrop and Sunrise Expresses, 6th Feb 2010:

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/express/index.html

There are usually around 100 riders on each event. I personally ride this event at 'eye balls out' speed.
  • Bournemouth Jubilee Wheelers ones -

http://www.bjw.org.uk/displayPage.asp?ID=1
  • jgsi
    . I personally ride this event at 'eye balls out' speed.
    Cheers... sounds very appropriate!
    :wink:
  • In the London area there are two series of events, one set in the Chilterns area, the other in North Kent/Sevenoaks area. Both are Jan–Feb time and last about six weeks of Sundays... I think the Chilterns one starts a couple of weeks later than the N Kent ones.

One thing about the N Kent series is that it has been split into two halves because the "Hell of the Ashdown" sportive (organised by Catford CC) replaced the old Catford reliability ride. The sportive course is very different, but in the same genrals area, and the overall distance is about the same.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Doh. ! The obvious question here.
    Reliability Trials
    Sportives
    Audax
    What's the difference. ?? ("quote" sportive - replaced the old Reliability ride.)

Something to do with timed sections and timed overall perhaps. !!

Edit - OK, I used to organise a reliability trial (with check points) in February and a Declared riders time before they start.
    (to finish up to 10 minutes late but not before time)
    Before a lot of things including Sportives and Audax.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972