WIP Santa Cruz Blur 4X Thread (Pics and full spec p.2)

HandjobDan
HandjobDan Posts: 704
edited July 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Hi guys, just thought I'd start a build thread of my own for my new 2nd Hand Santa Cruz Blur 4X.

The frame as I type this is currently sitting with HM Revenue and Customs while they figure out how much import duty and VAT I have to pay.

It's a 17.2" imported from a nice chap in America. It's a silver Anodised colour, and I'm not sure if it's staying that way yet.

The bits I currently have are Spank Spike 777 Bars in White.

DSCF2266.jpg

DSCF2268.jpg

A sunline DH Headset.

DSCF2269.jpg

En route SRAM X.0 trigger shifters through a swap deal with a guy on here. A sunline 50mm V1 All mountain stem. A set of Magura Menja Forks bought off here also.

I'll get more photo's as bits arrive and hopefully will be able to unveil the frame soon.

Any suggestions for other parts to put on are welcome.

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    dude when its finished tell me how it rides. ive wanted one for ages so i might try and find one if urs is any good. good luck with the build tho, what type of riding are you building it up for???????
  • I know what you mean, I've read about them and just think it's gonna be perfect for me. I like to go to trail centres and really rip on the downs, and try jumping and stuff. I've been over to Chicksands a couple of times on my old Handjob and went in the free-ride bit and down the Dual slalom track a few times.

It's ultimately gonna be a trail weapon, with top quality spec and hopefully I'll be able to get to the alps or canada with it at some point in the future too.

I've been waiting since Sep 27th for this frame to arrive and now it's in the UK I just want it now! :oops:

Where are you, I'm in Essex. You're welcome to have a go when she's finished if you're near.
  • lawman
    unforetunatly in in the midlands :(

but it is an awesome bike i rode one at llandegla in felt great tbh could have been lighter with a different spec i think. what kinda stuff you thinking of putting on it???
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Those are one damn nice handlebars. 8)
    I want one.
  • @ Lawman

I'm putting XT crankset on, X-0 Shifters & Rear Mech, older type XTR Front mech, Hope Tech M4 brakes, The menja's are a stop gap, ulitmately gonna be Rev XX U-Turn's up front, and the wheels will be my Hope Pro 2's with Mavic Ex721's until I can afford some Pro 3 AM4's with Stans Flows.

It's going to be fricking awesome!!!!!
    8)

@ Xtreem

Handlebars £35 off ebay new in the box 8)
  • lawman
    nice but its sacrilige to put a triple on a 4x :lol: im hoping to build either a 4x or a evil sect with revelations so let me know how they when they materialise :)
  • I'm not sure if the outer will be staying on :wink:

I was thinking of ditching it when I had it on my Handjob.

I like the look of that evil sect, also like the adjustability of the travel available, the next cotic hemlock may be really good as well.

I know where there's a frame available, but the guy wants £700 for it, looks really good though.
  • Just checked my parcel tracking information and the frame is being delivered today, shame I'm at work :cry:

Also had a change of plans and some new hope stuff arrived yesterday, pics to follow :wink:
  • Well quite a few bits arrived over the last few days, so about a couple of hours today and this is what I have:

DSCF2286.jpg

DSCF2285.jpg

DSCF2287.jpg

DSCF2288.jpg

DSCF2289.jpg
  • I also have en-route a Hope Ceramic BB to go with my Headset, and Sram X0 shifters and mech to put on.

Let me know what you think so far.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
  • I ran those Spike bars for a bit, they take a fair bit of getting used to :shock:

Nice ride, will be great when finished.

Are you getting replacement decals? As I have not read the whole thread...

8)
  • The decals are anodized, so they are there but are virtually invisible 8)

The bars are sweet, but I'm trying to decide if I want to cut them down at all, as everytime I go to sit on it, I grab the very ends of the bars.

She's almost done, just need to get my rear Mech and some grips and the grand unveiling will take place! Check back later in the week.
  • jay12
    cool. i can't wait until it's finished. i bet it's going to look fantastic 8)
  • Well the bikes finished, should be going out for a proper test ride tomorrow, and I'll try and get some decent pics, not enough room in the flat!

I'm well pleased with how it's turned out although my cockpit may be a marmite situation :lol:
  • Well the bikes finished, should be going out for a proper test ride tomorrow, and I'll try and get some decent pics, not enough room in the flat!

I'm well pleased with how it's turned out although my cockpit may be a marmite situation :lol:
  • jay12
    damn. i wanted to see the pics :x
  • plussa
    plussa Posts: 13
    Homer drool... Should have bought one back then...
  • Sorry didn't get out, feeling like crap and it's been raining all day, so no decent light. Will get round to it in the next few days when I can get out on it.

Sorry to disappoint
  • Well here's the pics and full spec:
    DSCF2290.jpg

DSCF2291.jpg

DSCF2292.jpg

DSCF2297.jpg

DSCF2293.jpg

DSCF2296.jpg

DSCF2294.jpg

DSCF2295.jpg

Full Spec:

Frame: Santa Cruz Blur 4X Anodized Silver Large
    Forks: Magura Menja 130mm AM
    Handlebars: Spank Spike 777
    Stem: Sunline AM 50mm
    Grips: ODI X-Trainer
    Headset: Hope
    SeatPost: Raceface Evolve XC
    Saddle: Fi'Zik Wingflex Gobi XM
    Bottom Bracket: Hope Ceramic
    Chainset: Shimano XT
    Casette: Shimano XT
    Pedals: DMR V12 Mags / Shimano M540 SPD's

Shifters: Sram X.0
    Gear cables: Gore Sealed low friction
    Front Mech: Shimano XTR
    Rear Mech: Sram X.0

Front Brake: Hope Tech V2 Braided Hose
    Front Rotor: 203mm Floating
    Rear Brake: Hope Tech M4 Braided Hose
    Rear Rotor: 183mm Floating

Hubs: Hope Pro 2
    Rims: Mavic EX721
    Tyres: Continental Vertical Pro UST 2.35 F & R

Thanks for looking, comments and suggestions for improvements welcome.
  • jay12
    really really nice. i'm glad to see it finished and it was worth the wait for the pics.
    as for improvments. you don't need any exept i have never ridden a magura fork i personnaly don't like them but whatever floats your boat. one again nice build
  • the magura's are a stop-gap, while the wallet recovers, will be Rev Teams/XX or Fox Float 36's, haven't decided yet. It's a choice between bomb-proofness and a 1.5lb weight saving!
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    what about air pikes?
  • I can't find any decent ones with stanchions and lowers in reasonable nic and without costing the earth.

Just found out I may have some coming from work as they've not been paying me properly since I started so I think the new forks will be here soon, hopefully they'll make it a bit more supple than the Magura.
  • HandjobDan wrote:
    Hi guys, just thought I'd start a build thread of my own for my new 2nd Hand Santa Cruz Blur 4X.

The frame as I type this is currently sitting with HM Revenue and Customs while they figure out how much import duty and VAT I have to pay.

It's a 17.2" imported from a nice chap in America for $780 all in, about £492. It's a silver Anodised colour, and I'm not sure if it's staying that way yet.

The bits I currently have are Spank Spike 777 Bars in White.

DSCF2266.jpg

DSCF2268.jpg

A sunline DH Headset.

DSCF2269.jpg

En route SRAM X.0 trigger shifters through a swap deal with a guy on here. A sunline 50mm V1 All mountain stem. A set of Magura Menja Forks bought off here also.

I'll get more photo's as bits arrive and hopefully will be able to unveil the frame soon.

Any suggestions for other parts to put on are welcome.

Nice bar, what's the rise? Is that 50mm? Im planning to buy one, thanks.
  • Yes Nathan610 it's a 50mm rise, awesome bars, really good leverage for ultimate control, although you have to get used to the lack of clearance through trees!
  • dagzin
    dagzin Posts: 70
    thats one smart looking bike even better in flesh :D
  • dagzin
    dagzin Posts: 70
    thats one smart looking bike even better in flesh :D