Brakes and Rims help needed

pepe_delux
pepe_delux Posts: 2
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone, this is my first post so please be gentle!

After a hiatus of about 20 years I have returned to biking and after leaving from the BMX world when I was 14 everything has moved on at break neck speed.

I bought a BeOne Aspire as I thought the spec looked good for the price. I'm now hooked and want a full susser but that is another story.

I want to add some hydralic brakes as the tektro v's are not the best and after 3 descents the pads are cooked already. I dont know what type to fit and I dont want to spend a fortune on them. I fancied the magura julie hp's but I have alex ace 17 rims and shimano hubs. There are no bolt holes on the hubs but there are mounts on the frame!

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated as i need more stoppin power

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You will need a new wheelset, and the brakes of course.

Disc wheelsets start from about 60 quid.

I'd try some better pads ie KoolStop first.
  • KonaKurt
    KonaKurt Posts: 720
    It depends on your budget of course, but if in doubt, I would seriously consider Hayes hydraulics, maybe Strokers or an old stock of Hayes HFX Nines like mine. Hayes seem to offer good performance at a reasonable price.

Just for the record, I think discs are an absolute MUST in the day and age. And so called 'cable' discs are an absolute JOKE and waste of money and time!

*belly laughs*

KK.