Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

Boardman SC Tektro Brake Levers

merlinghndmerlinghnd Posts: 106
edited October 2009 in Road general
Hello Guys,

Bought a Boardman SC as mentioned before. My only gripe is the reach to the brake levers, I am a big guy but they seem quite far to reach. Anyone here with experience of this problem and a solution. Thanks for any help.

Posts

  • markos1963markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I have an SC as well, cant say I've a problem with the reach. I am 5'11" and I bought a medium, it fits me very well as standard so i would assume that the top tube is fairly long as I have a long body and short legs. As for the levers I find the reach ok but they aren't the most comfortable ones( I may well change them to Cane Creek ones)
  • merlinghnd wrote:
    My only gripe is the reach to the brake levers, I am a big guy but they seem quite far to reach.
    Do the levers have a quick release mechanism and if so is it in the correct position?
  • They do have a quick release pin, ironically one was in and one was out. Thanks for giving me the heads up on that, it has improved things. Halfords did not realise this, I have just had to adjust the brake cables. I have rotated the handle bars up a bit which makes it more comfortable on the hoods. Once again thanks for the help.
  • markos1963 wrote:
    I have an SC as well, cant say I've a problem with the reach. I am 5'11" and I bought a medium, it fits me very well as standard so i would assume that the top tube is fairly long as I have a long body and short legs. As for the levers I find the reach ok but they aren't the most comfortable ones( I may well change them to Cane Creek ones)
    Hi Markos. If you do swap your brake levers and are thinking about selling the ones you take off then I may be interested. I've got a set on my fixed that are Ok, but prefer the ones off the Boardman having seen them in the shop. Sorry if you want to keep these, just thought I would ask...
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • markos1963markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    markos1963 wrote:
    I have an SC as well, cant say I've a problem with the reach. I am 5'11" and I bought a medium, it fits me very well as standard so i would assume that the top tube is fairly long as I have a long body and short legs. As for the levers I find the reach ok but they aren't the most comfortable ones( I may well change them to Cane Creek ones)
    Hi Markos. If you do swap your brake levers and are thinking about selling the ones you take off then I may be interested. I've got a set on my fixed that are Ok, but prefer the ones off the Boardman having seen them in the shop. Sorry if you want to keep these, just thought I would ask...

    Not in a big hurry at the moment but I will pm you if I do. A mate has given me a set of old 105 levers to try so I might give those a go before deciding.
  • markos1963 wrote:
    Not in a big hurry at the moment but I will pm you if I do. A mate has given me a set of old 105 levers to try so I might give those a go before deciding.
    Thanks for that. I'm not in any hurry either. The fixed is laid up for the winter (no lights or mudguards) anyway.
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • acorn_useracorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Tektro make a short reach version of their ergo-a-like brake lever too. You might try finding one of those :)
Sign In or Register to comment.