Armour and waterproof jacket, that was a BAD idea.

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited October 2009 in MTB general
So went out Sat and thought i'd try out some winter wear.

Put my Fox armoured jacket on over a Proskins base layer, topped it off with a Waterproof jacket. Cagoule (sp) type. Usually used on my motorbikes.

By the time i came back my shorts were 100% saturated and i'd lost 5.2lb's in weight (SWEAT).
Jacket was brilliant as it's windproof so no cold sweat on the downhills. Opened it a bit for the climbs but the sweat was pouring off me.

(i do sweat a lot at the best of times)

Guide me a bit lads...

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Choosing the right clothing can be tricky but if I'm cold for about the first 15 mins, I've got it right.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Take off the jacket :)
  • weeksy59
    Eranu wrote:
    Take off the jacket :)

Never had my rucksack with me, just a bottle for fluids. Otherwise i deffo would have.

Bit exposed though if just a mesh armour suit.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I know what you mean, this time of year it's hard to chose what to wear. Have you not got a camelback? I have my jacket in the helmet holder thing so it doesn't take up space in the bag.
  • weeksy59
    Eranu wrote:
    I know what you mean, this time of year it's hard to chose what to wear. Have you not got a camelback? I have my jacket in the helmet holder thing so it doesn't take up space in the bag.

Yeah but i only use it when i'm out with people who make me work harder than my old buddy ;)

It's overkill for riding mostly.

Although i should use it purely for the weight off the bike of bottle/toolkit.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    If the jacket's one you've used for motorbiking chances are it's not very breathable by the sound of it.

I'd suggest a top that's windproof and warm and then a very breathable waterproof for if it's persisting it down. I always find it's a trade-off between weather protection and sweat. I sweat way more when cycling than I do hiking.

Goretex is supposed to be the best breathable fabric out there, but there other alternatives. I haven't gotten round to buying a waterproof yet... being generally a fair wether rider. If there's a bit of light drizzle or occasional shower I won't bother putting a top jacket on.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • weeksy59
    mac man wrote:
    If the jacket's one you've used for motorbiking chances are it's not very breathable by the sound of it.

I'd suggest a top that's windproof and warm and then a very breathable waterproof for if it's persisting it down. I always find it's a trade-off between weather protection and sweat. I sweat way more when cycling than I do hiking.

Goretex is supposed to be the best breathable fabric out there, but there other alternatives. I haven't gotten round to buying a waterproof yet... being generally a fair wether rider. If there's a bit of light drizzle or occasional shower I won't bother putting a top jacket on.

It's more for the cold/wind than the rain.

I'm sure 'breathable' has limitations though.

If i do a 5km run in the gym, my t-shirt is fully soaked by the time i get off the machine.

I'm not sure fabrics and out that much sweat can they ?
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    weeksy59 wrote:

It's more for the cold/wind than the rain.

I'm sure 'breathable' has limitations though.

If i do a 5km run in the gym, my t-shirt is fully soaked by the time i get off the machine.

I'm not sure fabrics and out that much sweat can they ?

I'd say no.... but if it's the cold/wind you want to keep out there are a lot of jackets which have a 'windstopper' layer to them which would probably do the job. TBH if you sweat that much when exercising there's probably no point getting a waterproof ;-).

Ideally you'd need something to keep you warm even when it's wet. Windchill in wet clothes can be a major problem on the hills. Maybe carry a spare set of layers in your pack if you're out on a long ride.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • weeksy59
    Not a bad idea actually :)

Thanks mate. Good plan.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    The same thing happened to me on sat, it looked like it might be a bit chilly out so wore my jacket over my usual base layer and shirt and by the time i got home i too was dripping with sweat. I could have refilled my camelbak from the back of my shirt alone.

Dam these unpredictable warm autmnal days!!! :P
  • Breathability is very important, especially if you're a heavy sweater! I tend to use layers eg t shirt, micro fleece and either light windproof fleece (cold but dry) or light waterproof outer shell (cold and wet). If any of that layering isn't breathable then sweat is sure to build up.
    Good gear is expensive and bike specific stuff can be ridiculously expensive. TK Maxx can be good for getting stuff cheap and most walking/hiking stuff is fine for cycling too.
    Hope this helps.
    Dream as if you'll live forever..........live as if you'll die today!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Worth remembering that ultimate breathability relies on contact from layer to layer. It's no use having a fantastic wicking base layer under a million-dollar baggy jacket because the sweat can't jump across :wink:
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    My base layer and jacket are both breathable gortex but it was so mild out i was just 'hot' specially on my back where my camelbak was.
  • One of my work mates has a Berghaus GoreTex paclite shell that he swears by for cycling, its designed more for hiking but it's super light and highly breathable. Fully waterproof too, as in you'll actually need to rip a hole in the thing for the fabric to leak. But the paclite shell can be a bit flimsier.
    This is my bike, there are many like it but this one is mine
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    .blitz wrote:
    Worth remembering that ultimate breathability relies on contact from layer to layer. It's no use having a fantastic wicking base layer under a million-dollar baggy jacket because the sweat can't jump across :wink:

It can't, but then waterproof/breathable membranes only let out water *vapour*, so liquid sweat won't get through either...

Cycled to work in last week's fun rain with a coolmax style t-shirt under my newish Endura eVent jacket, was pretty impressed with the breathability of it. I was still sweaty underneath but I'd say no more than I would have been had I not been wearing the jacket (on a warmish dry day!). And I'd rather be slightly damp with warm sweat than soaked with cold rain.
  • I wear a merino ls base layer and a montane featherweight pertex shell, if its proper gharstley ill have a paramo velez in my pack,
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    Remember to start cycling cold, you will soon warm up.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    I find if I wear a short-sleeved T-shirt under a waterproof I sweat like Gary Glitter in a nursery however with a long-sleeved top underneath I dont sweat half as bad.

To be fair though, your exercising, hopefully pretty damn hard when your on it, of course your gonna sweat & get hot, whatever the weather.

I get the impression people are expecting magic clothing that stops them sweating, it aint gonna happen :wink:
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    .blitz wrote:

Spot on
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    If you do wear too many layers and find yourself sweating, remember to keep hydrated with a 20 litre hydration pack from Adidas. :shock:
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I use a long sleeve base layer with either a micro-fleece or Altura waterproof depending on whether its raining or not. I find that I still sweat quite a bit but i'll take a spare base layer to change into at the pub which saves me from freezing my @rs3 off during the ride back to the car.

I am lookign for some decent waterproof biking trousers for when it gets really wet and cold though. Anything to stop my sealskinz socks filling with water and my feet going numb! They also look better than wearing the thermal 'tights' that some guys wear!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09