What can the Gt Avalanche FRAME withstand?

didim
didim Posts: 82
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Hi
What riding can the GT Avalanche frame withstand?

thanks

Comments

• Big Shoes
    Big Shoes Posts: 131
    Is it a 1,2,3 expert etc? If it is a 3, the frame will be the last thing to go.
    Full Susser - GT I-Drive XCR 5

Hardtail - GT Aggressor XC 2

Road Bike - GT GTR Series 4
  • didim
    Well the model is a 2, but upgraded parts. It's not the parts that I'm worried about. Just wondering what the frame can withstand.

PS. Haven't all the Avalanche models got the same frame (1,2,3)?
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Depends what you intend to punish it with?

Its a casual XC frame, but a good quality one so im guessing it'll withstand rocky trails quite well. As said before its hardly likely to break if used for what its designed for. Doubt it can handle jumps or large drop offs though.
  • Big Shoes
    Yes, the 1,2 and 3 have the same frame, you asked what it could handle, if you had the 3 obviously it wouldnt take as much as the 1 because the components fitted to it would be better, but the frames are good and strong.

• didim
    It's my only bike so I do mos things on it.... :roll:

XC, small dirt jumps, about 2 feet drops/jumps - I ride/jump down flights of steps etc etc about 6 days a week.... I'm thinking after time the frame might just snap :?
  • didim
    Yes, the 1,2 and 3 have the same frame, you asked what it could handle, if you had the 3 obviously it wouldnt take as much as the 1 because the components fitted to it would be better, but the frames are good and strong.

Well the spec is upgraded :

Frame: GT Avalanche 2008
    Forks: RockShox Recon 351 Coil U-Turn
    Rear Derailleur: Deore
    Front Derailleur: Shimano M330
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano Octalink Cartridge Sealed
    Shifters: Alivio
    Chainset: Shimano Deore
    Freewheel: Shimano 8 speed 11-32
    Headset: Tange Seiki
    Stem: Exotic 80mm Carbon/Alum
    Handlebars: Easton EA30 OS
    Front Brake: Tektro Auriga Comp (currently not fitted)
    Rear Brake: Tektro Auriga Comp
    Rims: Jalco AX-340
    Front Hub: Formula
    Rear Hub: Shimano Deore
    Front Tyre: Maxxis High Roller 2.1
    Rear Tyre: Specialized Enduro 2.2
    Saddle: Fizik Unknown Model
    Seatpost: Aluminium Unknown
  • I have a GT expert frame, been using it for about a year now and never had a problem.

I ride about 2/3 times a week, technical XC on my local trails and usually go to my local dis-used quarry on it which is full of big jumps and drops offs which I ride too with no sign of the frame breaking!

Also done many a red route round sherwood pines, Dalby forest, coed-y-brenin and afan this year and still in top condition!!

So to answer your question, I reckon your GT will withstand most types of riding!

J
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!
  • didim
    I have a GT expert frame, been using it for about a year now and never had a problem.

I ride about 2/3 times a week, technical XC on my local trails and usually go to my local dis-used quarry on it which is full of big jumps and drops offs which I ride too with no sign of the frame breaking!

Also done many a red route round sherwood pines, Dalby forest, coed-y-brenin and afan this year and still in top condition!!

So to answer your question, I reckon your GT will withstand most types of riding!

• Big Shoes
    You have a good frame and great forks, the wheels wont take much though, they will be the first to go, upgrade them and you will be laughing.

• yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    i used my 14.5" avalanche frame as a jump bike, then passed it on to my little cousin who used it as a jump bike........the thing just won't break!
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    A local guy somehow damaged the stock BB and crankset, but except that he has no
    problems when using the bike for jumping.

Don't worry about anything, the components are great except maybe the rims,
    but 2ft jumps won't do any serious damage to the frame or the rest parts.

But don't crash, that thing just breaks everything. :(
  • didim
    Big shoes
    The wheels are the next thing I am upgrading (rear at least). Something like Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite XL on Deore hub and DT Swiss Comp spokes.

Xtreem and yoohoo999
    Thanks won't worry anymore now. :o and when the deore crankset breaks or snaps (quite likely) I will get SLX crankset. Also, made a mistake about the 2ft, about 4ft drops, and 3 feet jumps at the moment :lol: