Bent (steel) dropout

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,099
edited October 2009 in The workshop
My old 531 got a bent drop out when a broken spoke hooked the rear mech into the wheel...

Anyhoo, took it to Condor to get it fixed but they said they were afraid of knacking the threads on the drop out so didn't do it

Is it possible to get a LBS to bend it back???? Or can I DIY? Or do I need either a) a framebuilder to do it or b) a new drop out (££££££££!!!!!)

Thanks

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so how far gone is it?

looked in the tales from a workshop?

there is a good example in there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    It's no worse than the one in your pics - dunno what happened to that rear mech, but mine got hooked by a broken spoke (ouch)

So looks like it's rescue-able - what sort of lolly are we talking?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Could that be a hint to go fixed with that bike? :lol:

Alternatively, I'm a little surprised at Condor being such wusses about what I would have thought should be a fairly simple fix (for a bike shop) - they bent my derailleur hanger back into alignment for £20 (but it might not have been as bad as yours).

If they knackered the threads on the drop out (could be a problem if the "hole" was bent out of shape), couldn't they just re-tap it?

Have you tried Brixton Cycles? I've never used them but a couple of my friends swear by their repair ability. And they seem to be a big favourite of the lgfss crowd (as far as I can gather among the swearing and abuse) where old 531 frames are very popular.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I bent my Kona hanger back after a spoke/mech moment and KO'd the thread but got around it by using a framesaver nut which involved drilling the hanger out to take the nut and pressing the nut into the hanger from the back.

http://www.ison-distribution.com/ison/e ... rt=2IDGHS3
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.